Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
NASA Space Shuttle cards question

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/2737055006

March 18, 2011, 09:02 PM
promoking
NASA Space Shuttle cards question
Does anyone know how the NASA SPACE SHUTTLE STS 76 thru 96 cello card sets were distributed. Are they promos or were they sold somewhere?

March 18, 2011, 10:40 PM
miket999
Albert,

I don't know the answer to your inquiry, but I do collect these too, although I am still missing several. I just picked up one set (STS 82 I think) on Ebay the other day for a few dollars. I try to pick these up when I see them - they don't come along that often. I think Todd Riley got me started on them and Bill DeFranzo has helped me too.

I hope someone might have the answer to your question. I am curious about that too, although I will collect them never the less.

Mike.
March 19, 2011, 12:55 AM
promoking
I agree Mike. They're worth collecting regardless. Especially now that the Shuttle program has been discontinued. I am missing just a couple of sets. The early ones are practically impossible to unearth(pun intended) these days, so that was a nice find mister. Clap
Albert

March 19, 2011, 01:14 PM
miket999
I still need many of these: STS-77, 80, 86, 88, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97.

I really don't need the #82 that I just got on Ebay, but could not resist a deal. I did pick up #84 (again, fairly cheaply) about a month or two ago, which I did need.

Mike.
March 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
Artist
Mike, can you post a scan of the picture? and what company make those cards?

Thanks Mike.
March 21, 2011, 08:58 AM
G6ADC
I'm curious about these aswell.
Might get my Dad interested in cards as he likes anything about NASA or ESA
March 30, 2011, 04:41 PM
promoking
With all the space buffs amongst us card geeks NO ONE knows how these Shuttle cards were distributed?????? Hummm... Eek

March 30, 2011, 06:04 PM
Artist
Can someone post a scan of the card? and what company make those cards? Thanks,
March 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
miket999
I'll post a scan when I can unless Albert beats me to it.

My PC is down at the moment and my scanner is hooked to it. I'm using my wife's PC right now...

Mike.
March 31, 2011, 12:51 PM
Bill DeFranzo
There is also an "STS Overview" set packaged just like the mission sets. Those were passed out somewhere to school children, so I was told at the time.

AKA: Promo Czar (self-appointed)
April 03, 2011, 12:20 AM
geoffbovey
I might be able to help with the original question (how they were distributed).....

Are these cards numbered? If so, how?

Also....is this a picture of one of the sets? I found this picture after quick Google search.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: geoffbovey,
April 04, 2011, 03:20 PM
Bill DeFranzo
Here is some 4-year-old information from Worthopedia

http://www.worthpoint.com/wort...huttle-mission-cards

I am beginning to think that STS-77, 80, 92, 93 do not exist. Either that or we all got the cards from the same source. Does anyone know if there are any missions before STS-76 or after STS-95? How about the other four mentioned above?

AKA: Promo Czar (self-appointed)
April 05, 2011, 09:21 AM
promoking
Thank you to both Geoff and Bill for your posts. It sounds from the 4 year old description that these are indeed promos. Anyone have a differing opinion? Also,does someone have a subscription to this worthpoint? I'd be interested in knowing how much they sold for even back then. As a last note, I have 76 thru 84, I am missing 85. Then I have 86 thru 91. Misssing 92 and 93 and have 94 thru 96 and the unnumbered mission cards. My guess is they all exist. We just haven't found them all yet.

July 23, 2014, 11:15 PM
shuttleenterprise
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Thank you to both Geoff and Bill for your posts. It sounds from the 4 year old description that these are indeed promos. Anyone have a differing opinion? Also,does someone have a subscription to this worthpoint? I'd be interested in knowing how much they sold for even back then. As a last note, I have 76 thru 84, I am missing 85. Then I have 86 thru 91. Misssing 92 and 93 and have 94 thru 96 and the unnumbered mission cards. My guess is they all exist. We just haven't found them all yet.

I have been collecting these since I first saw them on ebay about 10 years ago. I have all sets from 76 to 96 except 92 which I have never seen offered for sale. Since no collectors in the above posts has this set, it seems likely that 92 does not exist.
July 27, 2014, 01:55 PM
promoking
it seems likely that 92 does not exist.[/quote]

Not so fast Shuttleenterprise. I have been surprised too many times after thinking that a card doesn't exist and then having it suddenly appear in some arcane auction. Let's not give up hope so fast and wait at least another 10 years to see if it surfaces Smile

August 01, 2014, 04:06 PM
David R
There's someone with 17 different packs "you know where" right now, but no # 92
December 28, 2015, 07:26 AM
shuttleenterprise
Apologies if anyone found a new thread about these cards that I started yesterday. Didn't search hard enough and assumed this thread had gone! Here is the info I posted in the new thread.
I recently had the idea to look at when the missions featured on these cards were launched and found out that the missions from flights STS-76 to STS-96 were all launched between March 1996 and July 1999, with the exception of STS-92. There were four further shuttle flights before STS-92 was launched in October 2000. This delay is another reason why I don't think there have been any cards issued for shuttle mission STS-92. If they do exist, then there could also be cards for the four shuttle missions prior to this flight i.e. STS-99, STS-101, STS-103 and STS-106.
February 14, 2021, 11:53 PM
catskilleagle
Last year, I found another STS pack identified as "STScl" on the card backs. They were in a sealed plastic pack and apparently for too long in a warm room/container because the cards got stuck together. I was able to rather cleanly separate them (only minor flecks of ink loss) after putting them in the freezer several times for different lengths of time and then letting them sit at room temperature in between.

It is a 13-card pack with a header that says "HST" on the front with a photo of the Hubble Space Telescope. The header back says that the cards are meant to be used in school as a game to help learn about parts of the solar System. There are facts and a question on the back of the other cards. One student is supposed to ask the question and another student is supposed to stand when he/she can read the answer so our friend Bill DeFranzo was right about this STS set being a promo at least.

It says "NASA" and "ESA" (European Space Agency) on the bottom on the backs so those agencies either made the cards or had them made.

The cards are unnumbered and as follows:

HST (header)
Sun
Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Asteroids
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
Comet Hyakutake

Here's a scan of the header front and the back of the last card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
May 15, 2021, 04:17 PM
catskilleagle
Here is a scan of four of the other cards. I had scanned six but for some reason the edges of those cards came out strangely rippled-looking when they are not in reality.