Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Rockcards (1990) Brockum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rockcards (1990) Brockum
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
PCE2008 lists the 20-card set (19 with a holofoil stamp and a 1990 copyright on the back plus a Megadeath card with a black back but without the stamp nor a date) that was plastic-wrapped with the "Promotional Not for Sale" sticker on the pack and the 20 cards that Todd had seen with the "Anaheim 1991" sticker on them. He didn't really consider the latter group as promos since they were apparently regular cards from the set (1991 copyright on the back) with just a little sticker on them. However, Jeff Allender notes that among those stickered are some cards with the 1990 copyright. I haven't seen those and wonder if they are the holofoil-stamped promos or if they are a third group of cards outside of the regular set.

I have seen online sellers note that the 20-card promo set includes an Axl Rose and Steven Tyler card that are not in the regular set. Neither the Rose nor any of the Aerosmith cards (Tyler, Joe Perry, Tom Hamilton, Brad Whitford, and Joey Kramer, plus an Aerosmith group card) in that set are in the regular set.

Years ago, I bought a plastic-wrapped Rockcards pack offered as a promo pack though it didn't have the "Promotional Not for Sale" sticker on it. It didn't have the Axl Card on top either so I thought I might have messed up and bought some odd pack of regular cards that was also given out as a promo (like "Yo! MTV Raps or SuperStars MusiCards). However, it does have the Tom Hamilton card on top so I'm certain it's just that original promo set with the cards out of order. The black-backed card is on the bottom.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has any 1990 cards with the "Anaheim 1991" sticker on it and if they bear the holofoil stamp. Anyone with a list of them?

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed that an Axl Rose #1 card from the 20-card promo set just sold for something less than $30. Sometimes, you can still find the set for $20-30 but this is at least the second time I've seen a single card from the set sell for around $15-25. I saw a Steven Tyler promo go for that last year or the year before. I guess it's like with the autograph card collectors, some people want just particular cards from the set and will pay up for them.

I've seen sellers try to get a lot more than $30 but I haven't seen an actual sale out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13402...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just saw that a Steven Tyler promo card sold for $49.99. That is the most I've seen a single from the promo set go for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16526...rksid=p2047675.l2557

If you can be patient, you will find the whole set for sale for about $15-20. It seems like a set sells for that once or twice every year.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I noticed that an Axl Rose #1 card from the 20-card promo set just sold for something less than $30.
[/url]

Here's a bit of unconfirmed promo card history I recently found on the web:
"The story behind this card is famous in the rock card community: these promos were sent out by Brockum in 1991 to promote a new line of rock n roll cards. For reasons unknown, Axl Rose (a la Honus Wagner) did not want his card to be in the set. When the official cards actually came out, this Axl Rose Rookie Card was NOT included. And so it goes, only the promo variants survive."

An Axl Rose promo recently sold on Ebay for around $2,000 PSA 10.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, I did see an ungraded Axl Rose card sell for $82 last month and I've seen several packs sell recently for around $200 with even a $600 sale. I don't see any cheap packs anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I noticed that an Axl Rose #1 card from the 20-card promo set just sold for something less than $30.
[/url]

Here's a bit of unconfirmed promo card history I recently found on the web:
"The story behind this card is famous in the rock card community: these promos were sent out by Brockum in 1991 to promote a new line of rock n roll cards. For reasons unknown, Axl Rose (a la Honus Wagner) did not want his card to be in the set. When the official cards actually came out, this Axl Rose Rookie Card was NOT included. And so it goes, only the promo variants survive."

An Axl Rose promo recently sold on Ebay for around $2,000 PSA 10.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
An Axl Rose promo sold for $49 in an auction with 1 bid on October 17.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26592...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
The description states that there are imperfections with the card. So, less than mint at that price!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Several of the promos with the "Anaheim 1991" sticker sold for $9.99 each last month. You don't see these for sale very often anymore. Last year, I saw a few out there but the sellers overestimated their value so they sat. The ones that sold last month sat for just a few weeks until at least two buyers noticed and jumped on all of them.

Anyway, these are oddball promos in that they are actually base cards but with the stickers. They were given out at the 1991 National.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've compiled a list of the "Anaheim 1991" promos that recently sold. It contains 18 of the 20 Todd had seen by the mid-late 2000's:

#16 Dave King
#66 Tom Keifer
#83 Charlie Benante
#89 Bobby Dall
#96 Rob Affuso
#99 Mick Mars
#103 Johnny Ricco
#143 Katmandu
#151 Andrew Eldritch
#155 Poison/checklist
#164 Khurt Maier
#169 Jerry Dixon
#171 Garry Nutt
#184 John Lodge
#206 Toni Iommi
#234 Jerry Dixon
#266 Erik Turner
#276 Pink Floyd

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see 3 others with the stickers, # 282- Rick Hunolt (Exodus), Nikki Sixx (#229) and Ritchie Blackmore (#146)

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tommy. I see only the Rick Hunolt card but I'll take your word for it. Now, I wonder how many others there might be.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I see 3 others with the stickers, # 282- Rick Hunolt (Exodus), Nikki Sixx (#229) and Ritchie Blackmore (#146)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Do a completed auction search of Anaheim Rock promo and you will see them all

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I see those now. The sellers wanted a lot for those. The "Ananheim 1991" promos used to sell for maybe $3-5 each. A group of them sold for just under $10 each so that seems to be the going-rate now plus or minus a couple of bucks.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are two of the "Anaheim 1991" promos.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the 20-card promo packs sold for $125 on March 17. Another one went for $75 on June 19.