Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    vintage promo card?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

vintage promo card?
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted
Here's something that I would like to know more about. Seems like a trading card from a bookstore.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It may be in card form but it might have been given out as a bookmark. In any case I've never seen that before. It might be British in origin because the volumes don't match up to what's listed in Wikipedia unless that list is of the British version of the series.

It might be as old as from around 1888 since that's where the list ends. I can try asking some book collectors about this.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,

What's the size of that card? I just started a thread on another forum (The Fossil Forum) which includes some book collectors who might be able to help.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is it in Chris Benjamin''s non sport book? I have looked in the British Trade book and there is no listing for Put am so I think that it is a US issue. Also note that Putnam reissued some of the books with different titles and to me the booklist may reflect that.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

What's the size of that card?

standard card size

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's a standard trade card from the Victorian era. The books it advertises came out in Spring of 1885.

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received a few replies. One collector said this:

"In addition to what has already been stated- the type face and principles bring style is period correct- and the listed price per volume of 1.50 is a big clue to age- linking these to the late 1940s early 50s printing. You are correct that these are advertising “handouts”. These cards were used by door to door salesman, a common practice at the time. The block print is a monochrome of the 1887 edition trichrome cover."

Another collector provided this link:

https://victoriancardhub.com/t...ated-business-cards/