Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Crossed promo cards by Avatar
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crossed promo cards by Avatar
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Although I have never seen one, myself, Avatar Comics produced an exclusive 2011 San Diego Comic Con promo for its Crossed card set. I see a picture of it on its website.

And it looks like from their site that they have at least 2 new ones for 2012, a C2E2 exclusive and a Phoenix Con promo

Anyone know how many different ones there are ?

Anyone have any extras they'd like to part with ? Smile

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi David:

You might look at this thread:

Comic Con 2011 News

That post is from last July. It was on the blog too at the time. I hadn't heard they were making more though. And as I posted before, I'm not really familiar with this comic. Barrett has posted it's quite adult in the other thread.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
From what I hear, the comic is ultra-violent. I really am not familiar with it, at all.

Here are pictures of the two 2012 promos from Avatar's website. Is it OK to post these ?
The latter is a bit gory

http://www.avatarpress.com/mer...-set-c2e2-promo-card

http://www.avatarpress.com/mer...t-phoenix-promo-card

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
These Crossed promos were distributed in 2011.
I have an extra Promo 2 (C2E2 show exclusive)

Would prefer to trade for Crossed Phoenix, Detroit, or NYCC show promos. Anyone?

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Is the actual set available?

Great comic but not for the feint hearted.

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Avatar is selling the card set itself

Not the promos

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I have the 2011 SDCC promo (#5) signed and unsigned. He had about a hundred in a box.
Ace

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ace of Hearts,

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan of the original crossed comic
I have 62 variant covers for the 7 comic set

if any one has these promo cards

I would be interested
please send me a pm

thanks
Chris

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
I have the 2011 SDCC promo signed and unsigned. He had about a hundred in a box.
Ace

when you say "he" whom do you mean ?
William Christensen the editor ?

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Weren't there 9 issues of the original Garth Ennis written series? That means there's another 10 covers to go, at least!

Indeed, the card set is largely made up of the variant covers. I bought one at Comic Con last year and it came with a ticket to come back the next day and get a couple of autographs from Garth Ennis himself. I had him sign the title card in the card set and an issue of Preacher from which I have a couple of pages of the original Steve Dillon art. Pretty cool, I hadn't seen Garth at Comic Con in nearly 10 years and he told me that he hadn't been there in about that long.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
9 issues of Crossed plus the 0 and Sketchbook (Preview).

The set also includes Crossed: Family Values (7 issues).

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I will have to see if I can make out the signature. I thought it was the creator/artist.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Most likely Jacen Burrows, then. He was the penciller on the original Crossed series (plus he's done lots of other work for Avatar). They seem to prefer artists who pack insane detail into their work.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
The signatures I've seen form Jacen Burrows are just, "Jacen" (sometimes vertically). Garth Ennis is a lot harder to decipher .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Potato Head,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ennis' signature has really changed over the years. In the early days of his career (late 80's and early 90's), you could make out pretty much every letter in both names. These days, it's pretty much a single, uninterrupted scribble, albeit a bold one. I'll post examples of both a bit later.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The hard to find 6 Crossed Promo cards are now available as a set, but only if you buy the Deluxe "Crossed #25" multi-issue package available through Preview advance ordering catalog now, or else directly from Avatar through their retailer, Comics Cavalcade.

Original series creator Garth Ennis is back for this issue (and #26), so they went all out with multiple different covers including one printed on leather (ugh) and one with a full sketch. Also included, and of interest to card collectors, is a sketch card signed by Jacen Burrows and Ennis and the complete 6 card promo set.

The set is expensive as $100 (-$30 if you buy your comics in advance like I do), so its a long way to go for a few cards, but I figured, I really only need one of the #25 comic, so hopefully I can sell most of the other comics to get a good chunk of the $70 back. I'll post a picture of the promos once I have them, but it'll be a couple a months, which is the flipside of that nice 30% discount, having to order things a couple of months in advance, that is.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
I'm also picking up the Deluxe Box Set. I love Crossed comics and I'm a sucker (aka "comic shop owner's friend) for the variant covers. There's some excellent covers in the set (looking forward to the die cut one) and the sketch cover one. I also need the promos and I think this is probably the only way to get them (unless others buyers sell them from their Deluxe Box Set). I'm sure you'll be able to get your money back on selling the incentive covers, the one limited to 250 and the sketch cover.

I've got as leather cover of the Neonomicon Hornbook comic and it is a bit weird.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Agree with you guys that the deluxe set may be the only way to get all 6 Crossed promo cards... I've been trying to get the three cards that I'm missing for well over a year with no luck... Just wish that this deluxe price tag wasn't so high!!

Still happy to trade my spare C2E2 Chicago Crossed promo for a Phoenix, Detroit, or NYCC promo.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
thank you for letting us know about this deal Smile

purchased it with no questions asked
as I have been looking for this promo set for a while

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good deal, but unless I am reading it incorrectly this is a pre-order which means the item won't be out until March. I could be wrong !