Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    What are your top 3 favorite promo cards or sets?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your top 3 favorite promo cards or sets?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
For me it's the nostalgia of the early promo days. So accordingly:
#1 Biosphere
#2 All Star Toon-Ups both sets
#3 Marvel Universe 1990
#4 Terminator II (Yeah! I know I'm cheating)I couldn't resist. I love that card!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough although my interest is Inkworks they do not feature prominently in my choice of favourite sets
1 1992 Marvel Masterpieces
2 2004,2006 Buffy Palz
3 1994,1995 Creators Master Series
As Promoking had 4
1996,1997 X Files CCG promo set
Promo King you made picking these a hard decision between sets and single cards .
Anyway i settled for sets might sort out singles for later.

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

I have spent a couple of days thinking about this. A Top 10 would be tough enough. I would go with the following in no particular order.

Star Wars 3Di2 (1996) Topps. That's the 3D widevision one with Ralph McQuarrie pre-production art of Luke in a lightsaber duel with Darth Vader (given out at Philly). It's a great work.

Coors Nature Series (1994) Coors. This is the 6 card set with oversized cards (two are about 4 x 6 inches; four are 4 x 5 1/2). They have beautiful artwork of North American mammals with four as chromium cards and two as refractors. I don't recall if someone showed me one or I saw one online but I was looking for these in the early 2000's. I wrote to Coors figuring they probably didn't have any left but they did and someone sent me a group of them. These cards promote a set of barroom-size mirrors the company was selling.

Movie Posters (no year) Piemmeci Publishing. 15 card prototype set. This is one of those promo sets that can take years to complete. PCE2008 has it as "source n.k." but I believe this was the kind of thing that only some dealers received (maybe two cards per dealer). I recall getting two, "Dr. Zhivago" and "For Me and MY Gal," around 1998-2000 at a local flea market (not knowing what they were at the time). Maybe a year later, I found another one in an online auction ("Et Dieu Crea La Femme") and then you traded one ("Chinatown") to me a couple of years ago. Several months ago I was looking at a 15-20 card promo lot online and one of the cards had the look of a Piemmeci prototype and the movie ("Clockwork Orange") was one of the ones I didn't have. The backs weren't shown but I decided to take a chance and won the auction. The card was a Piemmeci. I like movie posters so this has been a fun one for me.

As for my "fourth jewel in the Triple Crown" I might have to pick that "Nick in the Afternoon" motion card (Kraft Foods/Kodak) that shows various cartoon characters leaping from a TV screen as the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile changes into the Nick in the Afternoon logo. No one seems to know where it came from. I got mine from someone with a longtime collection of oddball cards going back to the 60's and he didn't know. The card has a lot of motion to it so it isn't your average chase card. Since Kodak went to the trouble of making it I think it's something special that was given out at a trade show or at some other event.

I also like that Batman and Robin motion card (1997, DC Comics) which was part of a cross-promotion with Colgate. It promotes the movie though the movie title is not given. It shows Batman swooping from the background to the foreground as the Colgate logo flashes in the lower right corner. That would be in a tie with the Nick in the Afternoon card.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have the Coors Nature promo set of chrome cards which you described, and I agree, they are VERY nice. I can't recall where I obtained them from. If someone wants to contact me, I can scan them and you can post them here.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Aren't these the cards ?

Mine don't come in frames, however.

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...-wildlife-1822489125

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Those are actually the mirrors you could order through Coors back in the 90's. I think they were still selling them in the early 2000's.

If you have scans of the cards, go ahead and send them to me and I will post them here.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Aren't these the cards ?

Mine don't come in frames, however.

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...-wildlife-1822489125

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My apologies. I definitely have a set and can pull them and scan them for you.

In the meantime, if you look at this search link, you can see some of the unframed cards, at least 1 or possibly 2 of them. Not the ones in the frames

https://www.google.com/search?...imgrc=MuL9MVPK5w56FM

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I looked.
Those are pretty artistic for promo cards!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I like these cards too even though they are oversized.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you carefully look at the link, and click around, you can see these cards:

# 2- Bighorn Sheep
# 4- Buffalo
# 5- Bull Elk

They are the ones NOT in the frames.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hi Promoking,

Coors Nature Series (1994) Coors. This is the 6 card set with oversized cards (two are about 4 x 6 inches; four are 4 x 5 1/2). They have beautiful artwork of North American mammals with four as chromium cards and two as refractors. I don't recall if someone showed me one or I saw one online but I was looking for these in the early 2000's. I wrote to Coors figuring they probably didn't have any left but they did and someone sent me a group of them. These cards promote a set of barroom-size mirrors the company was selling.

Jess

Catskill or anyone else who has this set,
do any of the backs of the cards have the word Grizzly misspelled? I've been trying to determine if these cards were actually released but there is very little info on them. Would you mind posting images of the backs of the cards you have?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find my set right away but will look for it and try to scan the cards tomorrow.

I will also check to see if I have any old notes on them.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
quote:
Hi Promoking,

Jess

Catskill or anyone else who has this set,
do any of the backs of the cards have the word Grizzly misspelled? I've been trying to determine if these cards were actually released but there is very little info on them. Would you mind posting images of the backs of the cards you have?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I definitely have the Coors set. But I am pretty sure my 6 cards are all the same size

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #6, "Grizzly Bear," and as you can see, the title is spelled correctly. This one is 4 x 5 1/2 inches. It's also one of three along with #3 and 4 with the refractor effect.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #5. This one is also 4 x 5 1/2 inches but has a chromium front without the refractor effect. Card 1 and 2 are also chromium cards.

Also, I did find my notes which state that these cards promoted a series of large decorator-type mirrors as you might see in a bar. The six mirrors had the same images of the North American mammals and Coors logo. The mirrors were made available in May 1995 but the cards were sent to Coors distributors across that year and into 1996 (#1 was given out and then #2 ...)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's Card #4, "Buffalo." which is also 4 x 5 1/2 inches and has a refractor effect (like #3 and 6) which doesn't really show in the scan.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #3 which is also 4 x 5 1/2 inches and has a nice refractor effect (like #3 and 6) though it doesn't really show in the scan.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And here's card #2. Unlike cards 3-6, this one (and card #1) measures 4 x 6 inches. The smaller cards don't appear to have been trimmed as the images within the bordering are also a little smaller than the ones in the two larger cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's Card #4, "Buffalo." which is also 4 x 5 1/2 inches and has a refractor effect (like #3 and 6) which doesn't really show in the scan.

Jess,

This is the card with the misspelled "Grizzley". I wonder if and where these were released. Mine are the same size as yours but David says his are all the same.

Could there be 2 versions of these? Maybe David can show you the back of the ones he has that are longer in our collections than his and see if there are any differences other than size. Thanks so much for posting these!!!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It'll be interesting if his are all the same size and to learn what that size is.