Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Mr. T Comics promos.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mr. T Comics promos.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted
I've been trying complete this set but am not sure how many there are. I thought the cards corresponded with the number of the comic but don't think they do.

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ace, this is what I recall. I am taking this from an older post of mine.

There are 17 numbered cards, # 1 to 17.

The Mr.T set by Now Comics was tough to put together, because the newsstand version of every issue had different cards in it than the direct (released through comic stores) version. Almost 30 years later, I am sure that most of the newsstand versions of the comic were tossed in the trash. So for instance, Mr.T card #1 came in one version of comic #1, but card #2 came in the SECOND version of issue #1 (not #2), so on and so forth.

Most of the early odd numbered cards came in the newsstand version of the comic, and the easier to find even ones (#2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12) must have come in the more common comic book store version.

Towards the end, I believe that they discontinued doing different cards in the newsstand vs. direct comics, as the comic only lasted 10 issues and there are definitely not 20 cards.

There are also a few unnumbered Mr. T cards by NOW given out at various events.

There is also a gold card numbered to 10,000 which came in a Dynamic Forces Mr.T portfolio.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a list of where the 17 numbered cards were distributed

Card
1 Newsstand issue 1
2 Gold Foil direct edition 1
3 Newsstand 2
4 Direct issue 2
5 Newsstand 3
6 Direct issue 3
7 Newsstand 4
8 Direct issue 4
9 Newsstand 5
10 Direct issue 5
11 Newsstand Issue 6
12 Direct Issue 6
13 Direct issue 7
14 Newsstand 7
15 Direct issue 8
16 Direct issue 9
17 Direct issue 10

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists the 17 numbered cards plus 4 unnumbered cards:

n.n. "Mr. T at Comic fest '93 Philadelphia"
n.n. "June 17, 1993 is T-Day"
n.n. art by Neal Adams; marked "For Promotional Use Only" across the back.
n.n. "Call Mr. T"

I don't know what that one with Neal Adams art looks like - don't have it.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The one that came in the Dynamic Forces portfolio has the same front image as card # 1 from the comics but the logo is in gold foil.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Thanks David,
I ordered issue #9 hoping to get card #9 but got card #16. Good to know that there are 17 cards in the series. I have most. Also 3 of the unnumbered promos. Guess I will avoid buying the comics and just look for the cards. Thanks again.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I still need #9 and #14. Will have to check on the higher numbers as I thought they only went as high as the comics. Also the Neal Adams card.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ace, just look on ebay for the newsstand versions of issues # 5 and 7 for the cards that you are missing.

You can usually see through the bagged comics as to what cards are inside.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ace, if it helps, the card # 9 shows T standing in front of a wall with graffiti while # 14 shows him behind bars.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Thanks David,
I will do as you suggest.
Ace

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
How do you tell Newsstand from Direct?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I just bought #5 and #7 but the cards don't match your descriptions.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
How do you tell Newsstand from Direct?

Newsstand version have a barcode in the box at the bottom. The Direct market ones have something else.

Example of issue 4. on the bottom left.
https://www.comics.org/issue/1770620/cover/4/

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raj is correct.

I picked these cards up on ebay and from on-line comic stores in the early 2000s and they were not easy to find. I had to track down the bagged comics one by one. I can only theorize that perhaps some of the newsstand versions also came bagged with cards. Looking on ebay now, most of them do not. My only advice is to keep looking for the comics and carefully look at the scans to see what cards are inside. Don't buy them without seeing what you are actually getting.

I can post scans of all 17 cards if you want to see what they look like.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
That would be cool. The comics I bought do not have a bar code and the cards do not fit the description. Half of everything I bought on line this past year were duplicates or the wrong thing.
Time to sell or trade.
Thanks, Ace

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David R asked me if I would post the images he has for the Mr. T and the T-Force set:

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess, thank you for posting these cards for me.

Sheet 1 on the left consists of comic cards #1-5 (the right and left middle row and the 3 on the bottom), while the other 4
are the convention cards and other promos (T Day, Call Mr. T, Comic Fest, Neal Adams)

Sheet 2 is cards # 6 to 14.

Sheet 3 is cards # 15 to 17

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,