Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Another Interesting Auction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Interesting Auction
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Sold for $ 125.00

I don't believe that I have ever seen these before.

Can someone preserve the picture before Ebay gets rid of the auction ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROMO...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cardaddict,

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I usually trawl through this sellers promo items once a week and did not notice this lot .
So it must of been snapped up pretty quick .And in my opinion this seller knows what he is selling ,and is a fair and reasonable seller.
With these sealed packs they were made and issued for all sorts of events etc no record has been made of what is out there so anything goes regarding price.
Also possibly most of them were opened.
I pick them up if I think they are a reasonable price but I have also not seen this one..

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have been collecting promos for 25 years now, and I have never seen these before. Despite having many rare and expensive promos, I do not have these.

My understanding is that these are not common cards from the set, as the backs are different from the base cards. There are 20 cards total, and they come in packs of 5. Not sure if they are random.

Whoever won these got a great deal !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These cards were reported in this thread though without a scan:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605453/m/1917002296

Besides not having the line, "Exclusively distributed by Impel Marketing Inc," as in the regular cards, there are some other distinguishing marks. The #3 "The Hulk," the #6 "The Thing," are just titled "Hulk" and "Thing" in the regular set. The #87 "The Thing vs. The Hulk" is renumbered #88 and is titled "Thing vs. Hulk" in the regular set. Also, #89, 125, and 136 were renumbered for the regular set to 90, 126, 137.

I have seen one single sell for $55. That seems to be the upper end of the range because other sellers have tried to get more without success. The pack is a bargain even if the cards are more in that $25-50 range.

Yeah, the dealer knew he wasn't overpricing it and the buyer knew the value. Even by 1994, unopened packs were a rare sight as noted in "Comic Cards and Their Prices" by Stuart Wells III (1994, Wallace-Homestead Book Company), which is a nice reference to have.

Jess

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
There are 20 cards total, and they come in packs of 5.

David is correct. There are 20 different ones with the different trademark etc.. information. These were scarce even in the early days. Marvel collectors who have discovered their existence are going nuts over them. The problem in finding these now is that they're scarce in their own right and I would assume that a lot of them have been mixed up with the hundreds of thousands of the regular corresponding cards from that set. Whoever bought it got a super deal.
Jess,
I clicked on your older thread and saw that this is a duplicate one and should be consolidated with that thread by a moderator.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just did a quick ebay search right now

A bunch of the 1990 Marvel Toy Biz promos, asking price, $ 15 each

A few of the ones from the set of 20 that we talked about, asking prices $ 65 each.

I personally don't have any of the above.

Are these signs of a renewed interest in 1990s promo cards ?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
It's a sign of Marvel collectors ever increasing mania to acquire just about every card released by that franchise in the past 30 years.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A #125 prototype sold for $54.39 on 11-27-19.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
These cards were reported in this thread though without a scan:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605453/m/1917002296

Besides not having the line, "Exclusively distributed by Impel Marketing Inc," as in the regular cards, there are some other distinguishing marks. The #3 "The Hulk," the #6 "The Thing," are just titled "Hulk" and "Thing" in the regular set. The #87 "The Thing vs. The Hulk" is renumbered #88 and is titled "Thing vs. Hulk" in the regular set. Also, #89, 125, and 136 were renumbered for the regular set to 90, 126, 137.

I have seen one single sell for $55. That seems to be the upper end of the range because other sellers have tried to get more without success. The pack is a bargain even if the cards are more in that $25-50 range.

Yeah, the dealer knew he wasn't overpricing it and the buyer knew the value. Even by 1994, unopened packs were a rare sight as noted in "Comic Cards and Their Prices" by Stuart Wells III (1994, Wallace-Homestead Book Company), which is a nice reference to have.

Jess

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I looked on ebay and last week, promos of The Thing, Deathlok, and Magneto sold for $ 65.00 each.

These were not the Toy Biz ones, but the promos without the Impel verbiage on the backs.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this was discussed, but a 1990 Marvel Universe Series 1 Wolverine PROMO hologram sold for $ 1,000 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure if this was discussed, but a 1990 Marvel Universe Series 1 Wolverine PROMO hologram sold for $ 1,000 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-...rksid=p2047675.l2557

There seem to pages and pages of sold Wolerine holograms and I'm having a hard time tell which is which. Big Grin This one says it's a Production card, so maybe that makes it very rare. However it is not graded and I don't think the sale price was $1,000. I think its a Best Offer with 1 bid, so maybe someone can go and find out the final price.

Posts: 10371 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Click on the link which says see the original auction. The back of the card actually says SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE so it is not the regular hologram. I see no evidence the seller accepted an offer. To me it looks like the starting bid was 1 K.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I looked it up on Wolverine Hologram Sold listings for March 15th. I could be wrong, but it says Best Offer accepted. Maybe they offered $1,000. I wouldn't Big Grin, but I forget how to find out for sure.

Posts: 10371 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
4 of the 5 promo cards for the original 2002 Spider-Man movie with Tobey McGuire

Sold for nearly $ 105.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36336...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You can find 4 of 5 and 5 of 5 rather cheaply ($3-5) but 1,2, 3 are definitely hard to find. I was told they were given out only at WonderCon or another show in Oakland in 2001. I'm reasonably sure I was at WonderCon that year but didn't see them.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
4 of the 5 promo cards for the original 2002 Spider-Man movie with Tobey McGuire

Sold for nearly $ 105.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36336...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Someone has up for auction promos # 18 and 53 on the 1993 "Thomas the Tank Engine" set by Spectrum.

You NEVER see these.

Asking prices-- $ 71.00 and $ 88.00 !

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the going rate is for those but that's too high. I think the collectors who had to have the set have it already. The weird offers might mean he's willing to deal.

By the way, a set of those sold for $13 a couple of months ago.

quote:
Someone has up for auction promos # 18 and 53 on the 1993 "Thomas the Tank Engine" set by Spectrum.

You NEVER see these.

Asking prices-- $ 71.00 and $ 88.00 !