Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1992 TSR AD&D Gen Con promos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1992 TSR AD&D Gen Con promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Anyone ever see this 1992 silver bordered set of 11 promos for Dungeons and Dragons, from the Gen Con ?

A set sold on ebay recently for $ 225 !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have them, Nice Set. Here are the Images you asked for.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John Oder,

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These are some of the best promos I have ever seen ! Wish that I could find a set

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi, I recently heard about the 11 card Ge

ncon card set. Would you be able to repost the pics of what they look like? Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Aren't these the ones ?

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...romotional-511261533

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is currently an auction for these, where the seller is asking about $ 1,000 for the set !

Previously, the same seller (I believe) had them up for $ 1,500 !!!

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think I won the set I have in a Roxanne Toser auction in the late 90's - not sure. It was not seen often for sale even then so I must've gone for it when I had the chance. I don't remember what I paid but it was likely less than $50. I don't ever remember seeing singles for sale so it appears sets were given out in some very limited way at that convention (maybe as one of the tournament prizes?).

I'm surprised a set went for $225 so it's rarer than I would have guessed. There are people still playing D&D so I assume it was a collectible for them then and now. Add promo collectors and a mix of RPG/gaming card collectors and you have more demand than supply.

quote:
There is currently an auction for these, where the seller is asking about $ 1,000 for the set !

Previously, the same seller (I believe) had them up for $ 1,500 !!!

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The B.Dalton book stores exclusive pack of 2 cards is also hard to find, in my experience.

If someone can help me post a scan of it, I can provide the image of my pack

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good Afternoon

David R asked me to post the following scan:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks good ! Yes, that B.Dalton pack is tough

I see that you guys also included the hard to find Craftsman promo pack in your scan, as well. Very nice. Thanks again

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of these sealed 2-card packs sold last month for just over $20 and another sold for somewhere less than $100. Another pack sold last year but I don't have the final selling price for that. Two are on sale now. I hadn't seen one for sale in years and now a bunch of them have appeared in the past year.

Jess

quote:
Looks good ! Yes, that B.Dalton pack is tough

I see that you guys also included the hard to find Craftsman promo pack in your scan, as well. Very nice. Thanks again

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A near-complete set of 10 sold for $159.99 on Feb 12 and another 10 card near-set went for $153.60 in an auction that ended Jan 10 with 6 bids.

A complete set sold for $220 sometime in the spring last year.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Anyone ever see this 1992 silver bordered set of 11 promos for Dungeons and Dragons, from the Gen Con ?

A set sold on ebay recently for $ 225 !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen this TSR pack before? This is a promo pack for AD&D apparently given out at the Toy Fair in New York in 1992. It measures 2 5/8 x 3 5/8 inches. I've seen some offered online but no one ever says what's inside.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure just common base cards are in it, not promos.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,

Since posting my question, I opened a pack. It had four cards inside and they have the silver borders within the black background on the front which is what the cards in the factory set look like. I don't have factory set cards to compare them with but this appears to be a case where the pack is promotional but the cards are not. I'll send you a pack and you can decide if you want to open it. The sticker that seals the pack (a fold-open envelope) does not have much adhesive left after all these years so it came off rather easily.

I have seen single packs offered for more than $100 so everyone should be aware of what I've seen so far.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
Pretty sure just common base cards are in it, not promos.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get one. I open everything. No matter if the cards inside are common, as the wrapper is certainly promotional and a nice item to have.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding that TSR Toy Fair promo pack, I've been talking to another collector who thought it might have originally contained the same promos (744, 745) as those in the B. Dalton pack. I've opened a couple of packs and have seen only the cards that look like those from the factory set and I haven't heard that the cards differ in any way from them. Two of the packs contain the same four cards but another had a different four.

When I first picked up some packs early last year or the year before, I had suspected that there might have been a switch of cards somewhere along the line because some of them were unsealed (the sticker looking like just one of those price dots you can get sheets of cheap for garage sales) but then Todd said he was pretty sure that there were non-promos in them and I'll take a "pretty sure" from Todd every day of the week.

Companies like Pro Set and Impel were sending out promo packs and free packs of base cards at the same time (early 90's) so it's not unprecedented. Also, there don't seem to be any unaccounted for promos - cards with an unknown source.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Two singles from this set (#3/11 and 6/11) sold for $45 each on 2-27-22.

A partial set of 7 cards sold for $315 on 3-1-22.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30437...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow-that is alot of money.

And not even for the FULL set of 11 !