Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Are These Real Promos ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are These Real Promos ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Over 10 years ago, I bought from someone cards from the 2001 Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas set, by NECA. Haven't looked at them in awhile, but I'm pretty sure there are 72 cards. I don't know if they differ in any way from the set, itself.

For every single card, someone took one of those notary-type stamps, pressing "prototype" onto each. So all 72 cards are marked as such. Not sure if this was done by NECA or by some less than reputable person.

In any event, I was told that the seller acquired them at the NY Toy Show, in NYC. Does anyone know if these are legit ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I have the same set. I got it from Greta P. I have never been able to authenticate it either.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I don't know if what you guys have are prototype cards but I can tell you that there are promo cards for that set issued by NECA

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Albert, can you describe them ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I'll try to post scans this weekend

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Standard size trading card in cello pack. Looks like it was issued to highlight the different posters available from the company, so it's actually not promoting the card set. Still a very unusual trading card Smile

http://i261.photobucket.com/al...ORECHRISTMASNECA.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/al...HRISTMASNECABACK.jpg

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at Jeff Allendar's checklist for the set, I wonder if that pack is the polybagged card that is a 1 per 4 box loader/topper which he lists. He says it depicts "movie scenes"

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It is definitely that box topper. I remember them being a little more common than one per four boxes, but I might've just got lucky. I do know that some boxes did not have them, so they aren't in every single box.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Albert,
I believe that is a box topper. I actually have a complete set of regular cards and each card has an embossed circle that says prototype. I don't know where it came from before I got it from Greta.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Michael, I bought my set from Greta, as well. Smile