Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    A Decade of Searching for Promos...With No Success
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Decade of Searching for Promos...With No Success
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Have there been promos that have confounded you for 10 years or more ? Here are some that have been on my want list for at least 10 years, and still, they are not in my collection:

1) Mickey Mouse and Friends Fun Cards (SkyBox, 1996) Almost 15 years after this educational set was released, I have yet to see any of the 3 oversized promos, aside from the pics in one issue of PCE.

2) Earth Tribe 5 card set from the 2000 San Diego Comic Con. I have an incomplete set of 4. I once saw a set on ebay, but I missed it. Promotes a comic book.

3) BSI Comics promo card. Shows the Marvel Comics character Silver Surfer. This was released by a comic book store down south (in Georgia, I believe) to its customers. The store still exists. I contacted them about 3-4 years ago, and the owner remembered the card (it came out in the mid-1990s) but he didn't have any left.

4) Blue Angels (Sterling, 1991) The card set is very common-- you can see a ton on ebay right now-- but the 20 promos rarely show up for sale. The promos are the same as the cards in the regular set, except they have "sample card" printed across the backs. I have 19 of them, missing only promo # 17. I saw the one I needed on ebay about 4 years ago, a few days after the auction ended. It sold for $ 4. Can't believe I missed it !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
David,
I might have some of the Earth Tribe.
Can you send a scan of one you have?
Also, I am trying to finish the Blue Angels promos. Did you know that there are 2 different versions (large & small 'sample card' type)?
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ace,

Yes, I noticed that on the Blue Angels that the words "sample card" comes in two different sizes. However, I'd like to just get one set of 20, ignoring the size. I'll never find all of both versions ! They rarely show up as it is.

For many years, I was missing #12 and 17, but I found # 12 on ebay for just a few bucks about 4 years ago. The same seller had #17 in a different auction, but I saw it a few days after it ended and someone else won it.

Ace, please email me at mistermycroft@msn.com and I will forward the scans. Thanks !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
David wanted me to post this. This is 4 of the 5, Earth Tribe promos, he is missing one of them.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thoughtofyou13times
posted Hide Post
So you can say you've seen the uncut 4 card death here is the scan of it

Posts: 46 | Location: Sun Shine State of Mind | Registered: March 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Is that superman really promotional? I mean, was it distributed as such or is it just an uncut sheet that made it out?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I believe it was promotional or at least some incentive given to dealers for purchasing a certain amount of product.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
those are two different things, aren't they? I never subscribed to the uncut sheets of inserts being promotional unless they say so in one way or another.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I agree Todd. That's why I put it that way. I'm really not sure what this sheet is and I've owned it since 1994. Maybe someone else knows for sure how it was distributed.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
David,
Email sent.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Todd, have you ever seen that uncut sheet on SkyBox's first Star Trek Deep Space Nine set ? Came out in 1993, I believe. It is serially #ed, and is basically just 6 of the same chase card, in uncut sheet form. Alot of Star Trek websites consider it to be a promo. It's not in PCE. There was a guy selling a bunch of them on ebay a few months ago for $ 3-4 each. I bought one..

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
no sir. Haven't seen it, to my memory anyway. Which isn't as reliable as it used to be. post a scan or send it to me?

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post

Here's a seriously crappy scan. Smile
Is this what you meant. I tend to cut this one a little more slack then I do most uncut hseets, because it's an error (silver-no color) and cause the head of Trek cards at the time thought it was ever so cool, they numbered them and took them to a show.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's the one. Mine is serially #ed 0956/1000

Picture of KenBenz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

1) Mickey Mouse and Friends Fun Cards (SkyBox, 1996) Almost 15 years after this educational set was released, I have yet to see any of the 3 oversized promos, aside from the pics in one issue of PCE.

David,

Do you have the picture(s) of these cards? Checked the PCEs I have and can't find it. May actually have them here somewhere.

Ken

Posts: 301 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: July 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can probably lift the scan of one of them from PCE, and post it here. It depicts Donald Duck as a pirate. I have never seen the others

They are all oversized cards, not regular sized

If you have them, and want to part with them, let me know !!!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Been looking for some of these for 8 years:

Coraline movie promo (oversized): Letter 'E' card (of 26)
Chris Achilleos I: # 8
Darkchylde Chromium: # 8
Jimmy Neutron (ore/ida): # 19
Lady Death III: # 22
Legends of 'Indy' 92': # 13
Playboy Chromium Covers, Series 2: # 101
Wildstorm Gallery: # 22
William Stout, Saurians & Sorcerers: # 7

Ace Roll Eyes