Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many exist?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra info and images, Bill. I appreciate the extra time and effort. It's great to get a good look at cards I haven't seen before or haven't seen in years. I think I saw that Coin Cards test set for sale about 20 years ago and haven't seen one again since.

Also, in PCE2008, Todd lists 13 total card numbers chosen (and probably overprinted) and stamped "PROMO," and based on what you are showing, each envelope given out contained 7 random numbers from that group. I have the same 7 card group that you show next to the red printed envelope. The cards next to your yellow printed envelope have 5 of the same cards missing 2 but having 2 not with the red envelope. As far as I know, you always got the same 7 cards in the test set envelope. Any extra bit of info about early promos is always useful.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some more old promos. From a box of oversized stuff.

https://youtu.be/dTOWtVFFOPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piobzn6SQ6M

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bill

I recognize some of them as having being bound in Previews as well as issued separately. I keep mine in a A4 size "Really Useful Box" that I bought specifically for oversized cards.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I watched the videos and recognize most of those. That Dream Cars 2nd edition 4-card sheet is different from the one listed in PCE2008. Is there any French text on the back?

The Hi-Flyers 91 9-card sheet isn't in PCE2008 either nor that 6-card sheet. Is that also from 1991? I think I've seen those for sale but wondered if they were just cut off a larger sheet.

I haven't seen the Marvel Metal 6-card sheet before.

Thanks for the videos.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Some more old promos. From a box of oversized stuff.

https://youtu.be/dTOWtVFFOPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piobzn6SQ6M

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
That Dream Cars 2nd edition 4-card sheet is different from the one listed in PCE2008. Is there any French text on the back? . . . I haven't seen the Marvel Metal 6-card sheet before.

Time stamp? Where are they?

quote:
The Hi-Flyers 91 9-card sheet isn't in PCE2008 either nor that 6-card sheet. Is that also from 1991?

Both are copyrighted 1991.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And here is the rest of the box of big promos.

The last video stops while there are still some sheets left to view, but they are sports related and I won't be including them here.

large promos 3

large promos 4

large promos 5

large promos 6

I'm happy to entertain questions, but it's easier to find them if you include which video and the time stamp for the sheet in question.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dream Cars 2nd Edition is at 0:50 of the first video.

The Marvel Metal sheet appears at 2:04 in the second video.

Where did that Werner Von Braun Space Pioneer card come from (0:12 of the second video)?

I'll have to check out those additional videos later or tomorrow. Thanks again.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just watched and took notes on the third video. There are a few I hadn't seen before other than as listings in the Promo Card Encyclopedia. What are the 3-card strips at 2:04 and those are 2:32?

There's a Marvel Universe 4-card sheet that appears to be 2-sided at 3:37. I don't know that one.

What is that "Wacky Cards The Sequel" 6-card sheet at 3:47 and the "Puzzles" sheet right after it?

What is the DC card at 4:35?

Thanks,

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
That Dream Cars 2nd edition 4-card sheet is different from the one listed in PCE2008. Is there any French text on the back?

1992 Action/Panini Dream Cars 2nd Edition -- yes, there is French on the back

quote:
I haven't seen the Marvel Metal 6-card sheet before.

1995 Fleer Marvel Metal
https://www.tcdb.com/Checklist...etal-Marvel---Promos

quote:
Where did that Werner Von Braun Space Pioneer card come from?

1979 Panarizon, publ in Italy. These cards were sold in big sets in a plastic box -- sort of a file index encyclopedia. I have the Wernher von Braun card because he ended up in my home town, Huntsville AL, after WW2. He founded Marshall Space Flight Center (where my wife works), and I met him once when I was about 10-11. I knew several of the other German rocket scientists who came over with him.

https://www.amazon.com/Panariz...ioneer/dp/B015D34JVE

quote:
What are the 3-card strips at 2:04 and those are 2:32? . . . What is that "Wacky Cards The Sequel" 6-card sheet at 3:47 and the "Puzzles" sheet right after it?

These are all pulled out of a kids magazine. The title was "Zillions / Consumer Reports for Kids". I didn't record the dates. They came from a "Friends of the Library" book sale. You can see issues on ebay.

quote:
There's a Marvel Universe 4-card sheet that appears to be 2-sided at 3:37.

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard....-Carnage?PageIndex=1

quote:
What is the DC card at 4:35?

A 1993 Bloodlines story line Release Schedule card. I used to see stacks of cards that had the release schedules for various comics near the register at comic stores, and I would always pick up one. Usually they were standard size or a little smaller, but since this one is double-wide, it went into the oversize box.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill.

In the 5th video, I had never seen the "Famous African-Americans from Maryland" sheets starting around 3:48. I'm wondering if they were given out at a museum.

What is the large card and Wayne Williams card at 4:57? I thought it was from "True Crime" but they weren't familiar. Are either card marked as a "promo?"

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the 5th video, I had never seen the "Famous African-Americans from Maryland" sheets starting around 3:48. I'm wondering if they were given out at a museum.

This article from the Salisbury MD Daily Times of Jan 31 1993 answers better than I can.

I got them through the mail.

For a while there 30 years ago, teachers unions were all over trading cards as a way to lobby, generate publicity, etc. In addition to the Maryland cards, there are several sets of trading cards of the U.S. Congress from the NEA. At one time I had a set of Pennsylvania legislature cards from the Pennsylvania teachers union, but they got wet and ruined and I threw them away.

quote:
What is the large card and Wayne Williams card at 4:57? I thought it was from "True Crime" but they weren't familiar. Are either card marked as a "promo?"

It's from the 1992 Eclipse "True Crime" set.

The large one is the original painting, and the small one is just the base card - not a promo. They were in this box simply because the painting is oversized. I believe there is a promo for the set, but if I have one it isn't in this box.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the "large promos 5" video, starting at 4:21 there are three sketches from Tom Palmer that were layouts for trading cards. The one at 4:30 is Black Knight, card #65 from 1993 SkyBox Marvel Masterpieces. The one at 4:44 is Blade, #36 from the same set. I can't identify the one at 4:21 though. Can anyone help? The character looks like it may be Cable.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think that's Cable too - big armored dude with a flashing eye and a giant gun.

quote:
In the "large promos 5" video, starting at 4:21 there are three sketches from Tom Palmer that were layouts for trading cards. The one at 4:30 is Black Knight, card #65 from 1993 SkyBox Marvel Masterpieces. The one at 4:44 is Blade, #36 from the same set. I can't identify the one at 4:21 though. Can anyone help? The character looks like it may be Cable.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

I watched the 6th video. At 0:40, you show show a "Zoo Life" 9 card sheet I haven't seen before. Does that promote the Jack Hanna videos from the 90's?

What is the title of the politicians 9 card sheet at 0:54? Does it promote a card set?

You show several sheets with animals on them at 1:07. What are those promoting?

I can't quite read what the 3-card sheet is at 1:57 but I think it says "Tour." I've seen a single of the Washington Monument card before. Now I wonder if someone cut up one of those sheets as sometimes happened in the 90's.

What is that 9-card sheet showing stadiums at 2:01?

What is the title of the Extreme Sports 9 card sheet at 2:37? I think I've seen the regular cards but hadn't

I'm not familiar with the 3-card sheet with animals at 3:28.

The two Country Song Round-up 8-card sheets are interesting. I haven't seen those before. What year are those from and what do they promote?

And finally, that Nabisco sheet at 5:23 is also something I haven't seen before. It looks like it previews something like those old Brooke Bond tea cards.

You have an interesting collection.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
And finally, that Nabisco sheet at 5:23 is also something I haven't seen before. It looks like it previews something like those old Brooke Bond tea cards.

They are like Brooke Bond cards, but issued by Nabisco in Sugar Daddy candy. This set is Water World Heroes. The fine print says that it went with a wall chart. I suspect that Nabisco made posters of the set available to teachers, like Arm & Hammer used to do with their bird cards.

From Todd Riley's acquisition here, near the end of the post, is a Speedway wrapper from the same series. It shows a wall chart as a mail-away premium for retail customers. So scratch that teacher comment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to answer all those questions, Bill. It's always interesting to look at someone else's collection. We all have some of the same stuff and we've each been lucky to come up with some cool oddball things

Also, yes, there is a promo for True Crime II. It's a prototype variant of card #179.

That's something, meeting Wernher von Braun. I once saw Michael Jackson from a distance at a collectibles show. He bought a bunch of Marvel sets from Keith Dennis. I think that was the start of Keith's meteoric rise in the hobby.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
although i have no questions i am enjoying seeing and reading all about them so thanks for posting. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
although i have no questions i am enjoying seeing and reading all about them so thanks for posting. Clap

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that you (wolfie, catskilleagle, anyone else) should do similar videos of the odd stuff in your collections.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I show lots of my stuff in various threads. You just don't get to see my hands move. Cardaddict has shown some of his.

But yeah, I want to see Wolfie's collection and Promoking's and David R.'s - everybody's really.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that you (wolfie, catskilleagle, anyone else) should do similar videos of the odd stuff in your collections.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If i had any clue or any way of putting up pictures i would be happy to do so.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post