Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1991 Blue Angels question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1991 Blue Angels question
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I know there has been some talk before among promo collectors as to whether some of the Sample Cards on this set may be fake

I have 19 of the 20 promos (marked SAMPLE CARD across the backs), missing only # 17, which I have seen in the past, but don't own

Of the 19 I have, 17 have SAMPLE CARD in small text, while 2 (#s 8 and 12) have much larger text.

Some have suspected that one version is genuine, while the other is not. Anyone know what the deal is on these ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
David,
I also have both types. Don't know if they are fake.
Still need a few to finish set.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw 4 of these sell on ebay just the other day for a mere $ 2.50 each.

Samples # 1, 13, 14, 15

That was a good deal, as not many of these turn up anymore

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they usually go for about $5 each.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Saw 4 of these sell on ebay just the other day for a mere $ 2.50 each.

Samples # 1, 13, 14, 15

That was a good deal, as not many of these turn up anymore

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a view of the two different "SAMPLE CARD" print sizes. The smaller size measures 1/8 of an inch or 3mm; the larger appears to be 4mm. The difference seems larger than that to the naked eye.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the scans.

I think the smaller text is the more common version, as I have 17 of those and only 2 of the larger ones.

I've picked these up 1 by 1 over the years. I have cards # 1-16 and 18-20, but no # 17. I saw # 17 on ebay back around 2012, but saw the auction a few days after it sold for a mere $3 or 4 dollars. Haven't seen another one since, unfortunately.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is an auction for # 1, 2, 3 and 10 on ebay now. Worth grabbing.

Recently, an auction with # 1, 13, 14, and 15 sold for a mere $ 10.

I still can't find # 17 !

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip!

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
There is an auction for # 1, 2, 3 and 10 on ebay now. Worth grabbing.

Recently, an auction with # 1, 13, 14, and 15 sold for a mere $ 10.

I still can't find # 17 !

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was yet another Blue Angels ebay auction this week, 8 promos which sold for $ 10.

This time it was # 2, 3, 9, 10, 13, 16, and two versions of # 20, large and small text on the #20s.

After not seeing Blue Angels for awhile (very few on ebay in 2019), suddenly at least 3 auctions with multiple promos have popped up since July.

When it rains, it pours...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Of the recent auction of 8 which just sold, 6 were the small text versions.

This might confirm the theory that the small text version is the more common of the two.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was an auction of 9 Blue Angels promos that sold on ebay on June 13...for 4 dollars

And the auction included TWO copies of promo # 17, the one card which I have searching for since 1991. Frown I can't believe I didn't see it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Oh man, that's frustrating. I just looked at the listing. The seller had it as "sample" but didn't include "promo." You can always check to see if the seller has another one or can get more.

Sometimes, I search for "sample" to see what comes up and I did it last month but it must have been after that one ended.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
There was an auction of 9 Blue Angels promos that sold on ebay on June 13...for 4 dollars

And the auction included TWO copies of promo # 17, the one card which I have searching for since 1991. Frown I can't believe I didn't see it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dave, I don't know if you saw these. Maybe these were the ones you were talking about above.

In June, there was an ebay auction for promos # 5, 7, 8, 12, 15, 16, 17, and 18, all with SMALL text

Last week someone had for sale promos # 2, 4, 10, 12, 16 and 17, all with LARGE text

Hope that you managed to grab them !

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post