Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Warner Brothers Special Edition VHS Collector's Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warner Brothers Special Edition VHS Collector's Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Back in 2000, Warner Brothers ran at least one promotion with "Special Edition" VHS tapes (bonus documentary and introduction) available. As an added bonus, a mini-replica of an original lobby card for the movie was inserted with the VHS. Each card measures 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches and has a blank back. The set number is unknown and there's no mention of the cards in the other inserts (booklet of special offers). To make sure you're getting a card inside look for sealed Warner Bros. VHS with a sticker on the shrinkwrap that says "Bonus! Collector's Card Inside."

Back then, I bought "Caddyshack" and "The Searchers" and didn't know about any others. I told Todd about them and he listed them separately in PCE. Since 2008, I think I found a sealed "The Dirty Dozen" VHS with the sticker and I started looking for others, learning that several others exist. Here's the list of the ones I have or sealed VHS I have seen, finding a "new" one as recently as two years ago.

n.n. "Caddyshack"
n.n. "Casablanca"
n.n. "The Dirty Dozen"
n.n. "Enter the Dragon"
n.n. "The Exorcist"
n.n. "The Maltese Falcon" - found in 2017
n.n. "The Music Man"
n.n. "The Outlaw Josey Wales"
n.n. "The Philadelphia Story"
n.n. "The Road Warrior" - found in 2020
n.n. "The Searchers"
n.n. "The Wild Bunch"

I have a few of the cards scanned and will get around to scanning the others. I showed at least one of them in another thread some time ago and have been thinking about starting a thread about the set in case anyone else has a card not listed above. Here's "The Outlaw Josey Wales."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the "Caddyshack" card.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
What a co-ink-a-dink!
Here's the real deal, which has been hanging on my wall for about 30 years.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's cool. Fantastic movie. Orson Welles once called it one of the great westerns of all time.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That's because Clint asked him, "Are you going to call this one of the great westerns of all time or whistle Dixie?"

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Do an ebay search for Warner Special Edition VHS Card and you will also see one for The Exorcist. A scan of the card is in the auction.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For that time when there might not be an image elsewhere, here's a scan of the card for "The Exorcist."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE lists 12 different, including The Exorcist.

Looking on ebay now, I see 11 of the 12 with the cards, all except The Road Warrior.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find the PCE list. What is it listed under?

You can find at least one sealed Road Warrior video for sale but you have to do a general search for "Road Warrior VHS." Not every seller uses all/most of the keywords they should in the title.

I've tried looking for more cards. I thought there would be one for "Dirty Harry," "Cabaret," "Cool Hand Luke," "Blazing Saddles, and "Lethal Weapon" (five other popular WB movies) but I've never seen those in the Special Edition series with a card.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
PCE lists 12 different, including The Exorcist.

Looking on ebay now, I see 11 of the 12 with the cards, all except The Road Warrior.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found "Yhe searchers" on page 125 of the last PCE as a single entry but was it.

Its up to Tommy C.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's a listing for "Caddyshack" too.

After finding 11 of the videos with a card, I thought that was the set but then I found "The Road Warrior" a couple of years ago. Warner Bros. made the effort to make and insert the cards but has put out no info at all about them. Somebody out there knows how many different ones there are and maybe how many were printed. It's always tough to find that person. Every once in a while, we run into someone like that or they even drop in on Card Talk.

One seller reports a serial number on the "Enter the Dragon" card but the same number seems to be on all the cards and might be just something copied from the original lobby card.

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
I found "Yhe searchers" on page 125 of the last PCE as a single entry but was it.

Its up to Tommy C.

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the card for "The Music Man."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the card for "The Wild Bunch."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And here's the one for "The Maltese Falcon." That's the stuff that dreams are made of.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And here's the one for "The Searchers."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And the one for "The Philadelphia Story."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the one for "The Dirty Dozen."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the last of the cards that I found - the one for "The Road Warrior." The set appears to contain 12 cards. I don't have "Casablanca" nor "Enter the Dragon" but those are the two that seem to be most often for sale.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's my sealed Caddyshack, presumably with the card inside, along with the Bruce Lee to finish the image gallery.

Here's a together shot of 4 others I have.
I like that the older movie lobby card repros are yellow-ish tinted as I'm sure the vintage originals had already been by time when these were produced. (And now they're all 20+ years older.)

The first card I got from this was Music Man or Wild Bunch way back when, I can't remember which, and quite by accident as neither of those are movies I would've bought on video. I was curious as to what other cards were made, but never tried to make the set.

That said, they're all pretty cool, although a bit glossy for autographs, with fewer and fewer people to sign them as time goes on, anyway, sadly.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for adding the "Enter the Dragon" card. At some point, I will get those last two.

I had a vague memory of the one for "The Maltese Falcon" being a photo of "the black bird" but I must've been recalling something else so I was surprised when I opened the video for that one.

I don't know why the card for "The Music Man" shows up smaller (though you can right-click on it and then click on "Open image in a new tab" and it opens larger). I might rescan that one. I got that one and "The Exorcist" in a nice lot of movie cards last year. It got me thinking about doing this thread again. I think I scanned the "Caddyshack" and "Outlaw Josey Wales" when I first thought of it a couple of years ago. Yeah, nice cards.