Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Open That Box! Day 2009 Discussion    What is "Open That Box" day?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
What is "Open That Box" day?
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Open That Box is a promotion running in the Apr/May '09 issue of Non-Sport Update. On one day, NSU Card Talk members and collectors from around the globe can come to a special area of Card Talk and all share the experience of opening a box of trading cards, all on the same day. This is the third year for the event.

What is Open That Box! day?
Let’s face it -- trading cards were meant to be seen, held, read, discussed, and traded; not kept in a box gathering dust. Open that box! day is Non-Sport Update magazine's specially created day when collectors will open a box of trading cards and share their experience with the community at large.

How Do I Participate?
On April 4, we invite you to open a box of cards. Pull that special box out of the back of your closet or purchase a new box from your favorite retailer.

Open the box and come to the special forum here on Non-Sport Update's Card Talk web forum to tell the card collecting community what you got. Try and make this a more meaningful experience by opening your box with a friend or family member. Tell us about that, as well as why you chose this box and why this one means more to you then others. And hey, if you get an extra set, use the NSU Card Talk trading forum to trade with other collectors who are doing the same thing today.

Some of your comments from Open That Box! day '09 may make it to a future article in NSU so remember what you post in the OTB submission thread is fair game. Smile We hope this day will be fun for all who participate.

Other ways you can participate–
You may also take part in Open That Box! day by e-mailing your comments to us at info@nonsportupdate.com. Or by fax (717-238-3220) or mail (NSU, PO Box 5858, Harrisburg, PA 17110).

We hope to get a lot of new submissions from this (from collectors new to Card Talk and maybe from some of you who haven't posted in a while). Additionally, I hope that all of you "regulars" will help support this as well.

Thanks!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I've got my box already, I may even go for two! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
I have a box on its way to me... I suppose if I put it away and don't think about it for 5 weeks I can hold out. Razz

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
My boxes are waiting ...

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
I have a box on order, Hopfully I can leave it unopened until the day.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Report This Post
Picture of THX2112
posted Hide Post
I'm in with two boxes and possibly a third if my Bond Archives case gets here in time. Thanks for doing this again! Always a good time!!!

Posts: 139 | Location: Noblesville, IN | Registered: May 14, 2003Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm. What to open. I guess I'll have to pick a few boxes up for bigkitty and I.Big Grin

Chris

Posts: 920 | Location: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: August 21, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
Ooooh...I've got quite a few boxes to choose from!

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'm not allowed to take part in this as in order to get a box i would have to open the WolfieWallet which is very dangerous to my health. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to OTB Day 2009. Got a couple of boxes of the new Breygent release coming soon, so I will have to hold off on one of these until April 4. NOT gonna be an easy thing to do!

Also, a big thank you to Harris and the NSU staff for not doing this on tax day (April 15), so those of us in the tax/accounting world can participate without worrying about work!

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I have two older boxes that I picked up cheaply at last November's Memorabilia specifically for OTBD09 - Pepsi Around the World and Mortal Kombat - and in addition to reporting on my pulls here, I will be opening one of them (which one to be confirmed on the day!) for a special pack-by-pack episode of the podcast!
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Report This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I'm not allowed to take part in this as in order to get a box i would have to open the WolfieWallet which is very dangerous to my health. Big Grin

Is that your way of asking for a donation? Razz

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Only if you are offering. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
Thanks to trading I now have a box of Fantastic Four Archives for OTB2009. Can't wait for it Big Grin

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
It's great to see that the date for OTBD 2009 has been set and we're only about a month away Thumb Up

I will have to pick up a box or two. Hopefully Dexter will be out by then Big Grin

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
I've got a box of Heroes Season 1 and Bond in Motion shipping to me as we speak. I'll sacrifice both of those to the "Open That Box" gods on the appropriate day.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Just gotten an email, my box has been shipped. Clap

Now to wait for it to arrive and not open it. Big Grin

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of batmancity
posted Hide Post
I've already saved a few boxes a couple of months ago for this brillant day Smile

Posts: 597 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 24, 2002Report This Post
Picture of raider5gt
posted Hide Post
Only a month left,better get my box sourced Big Grin

Posts: 437 | Location: Gloucester UK | Registered: July 27, 2007Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I have one box on the way and two 4-pack boxes of Disney Treasures in the closet. I originally had three boxes, but the need to open packs got the better of me. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post