Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Open That Box! Day 2011 Discussion    What is "Open That Box" day?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
What is "Open That Box" day?
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Open That Box is a promotion running in the Apr/May '11 issue of Non-Sport Update. On one day, NSU Card Talk members and collectors from around the globe can come to a special area of Card Talk and all share the experience of opening a box of trading cards (or premium pack), all on the same day. This is the sixth year for the event.

What is Open That Box! day?
Let’s face it -- trading cards were meant to be seen, held, read, discussed, and traded; not kept in a box gathering dust. Open that box! day is Non-Sport Update magazine’s specially created day when collectors open a box of trading cards and share their experience with the non-sport collecting community at large.

What Can I Open
This year, we are extending Open That Box! to include both boxes and premium packs. You can open the latest box or premium pack, or that "special" vintage box that you've had lying about and you've been saving for a rainy day.

How Do I Participate?
On April 9, we invite you to open a box of cards or some premium packs. Pull that special box out of the back of your closet or purchase a new box or packs from your favorite retailer. Open the box and visit Non-Sport Update’s Card Talk web forum to tell the card collecting community what you got. We’ll have a special thread for everyone’s results. Try and make this a more meaningful experience by opening your box/packs with a friend or family member. Tell us about that, as well as why you chose this particular product and why this one means more to you then others. Take a couple of pictures or video and upload them for all to see. And hey, if you get an extra set, use the NSU Card Talk trading forum to trade with other collectors who are doing the same thing today.

What if I Don't Have a Box or Pack to Open?
You can purchase a box or premium pack from your favorite hobby dealer. Or purchase one from one of the dealers in Non-Sport Update magazine or our retailers on NSU Card Talk.

Do I Have to Open a Box to Read the Entries?
No, anyone can read the entries on NSU Card Talk. Of course, it's much more fun if you also open a box or pack yourself!

Some of your comments from Open That Box! day '11 may make it to a future article in NSU so remember what you post in the OTB submission thread is fair game. We hope this day will be fun for all who participate.

Other ways you can participate–
You may also take part in Open That Box! day by e-mailing your comments to us at info@nonsportupdate.com. Or by fax (717-238-3220) or mail (NSU, PO Box 5858, Harrisburg, PA 17110).

We hope to get a lot of new submissions from this (from collectors new to Card Talk and maybe from some of you who haven't posted in a while). Additionally, I hope that all of you "regulars" will help support this as well.

Thanks!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I've created a Facebook event page for anyone who wishes to let their friends on Facebook know they'll be participating in Open That Box! day (plus, you'll get a reminder about the day on Facebook).

Open That Box! day event on Facebook

Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 $40.00 egift cards to TOPPS online store at 50% off, so for $40.00 I get $80.00 worth of merchandise. Just ordered a STAR WARS Galaxy 5 box for me and some Ring Pops for my kids. Box arrived today so I am ready!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EriktheArchitect,

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And as usual I have no Boxes Frown Frown Frown Frown Frown
Time to call in some favours and ask some people if they have any boxes Smile Smile
If all else fails would a box of chocolates count????? Wink

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
nationals on this weekend Big Grin

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Memorabilia the weekend after. Also lots of NSU advertiser's would love to sell you a box.

Failing that, keep me a chocolate. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Got 7 boxes on the way for that special day...prob will get 2-3 more boxes...the kids will love it!!!

Posts: 9 | Location: mtl,canada | Registered: November 24, 2010Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I bought three premium packs. The problem is that it's very hard to resist the urge to open them now. Smile I've never been one who could let boxes sit around unopened for more than an hour.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
I bought three premium packs. The problem is that it's very hard to resist the urge to open them now. Smile I've never been one who could let boxes sit around unopened for more than an hour.

You can do it!!

And remember, since you posted, we're all watching you now.... Big Grin Eek

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Will you be opening a box, Harris? If so, what will it be? Confused Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Will you be opening a box, Harris? If so, what will it be? Confused Big Grin

Maybe The Goonies.

You know, The Goonies are good enough? You did know that, right?

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
No, I would not, the "Goonies" is an 80's movie, and as you know, I hate the 80's. Wasn't Cindy Lauper in that movie? I think for you, however, it would be a good choice. Either that or one of those Proset music sets! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:

You can do it!!

And remember, since you posted, we're all watching you now.... Big Grin Eek

Uh oh! I'll try to be good, then. Wink

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
No, I would not, the "Goonies" is an 80's movie, and as you know, I hate the 80's. Wasn't Cindy Lauper in that movie? I think for you, however, it would be a good choice. Either that or one of those Proset music sets! Big Grin

I was just kidding about "good enough" (and the whole thing, for that matter). "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough" was the theme song sung by Ms. Lauper. Kind of a dumb song (it even says on Wikipedia that Lauper says she hated the song) but it's an 80s song, as you say, so can't be too terrible.

Anyway, I'll try and open something, just to please you. Big Grin

Sorry to hijack the topic with my own 80s shenanagans. Let's get back to Open That Box day. Less then a month away now -- April 9.

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Boxes are ready to go. Maybe I'll open one of those boxes I've had under my bed for a very long time. I actually still haven't finished opening all the packets of a box that I started 3 years ago. Perhaps I'll get round to finishing it this year, or perhaps not ...

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am gonna bust a box of chocolates just to keep me happy on that day Frown
Forrero Roche Smile

KADRAN00157

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Newsflash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KADRAN00157 will be participatinng this year Smile
As to what will be opened is a mystery.....
Had a call from a friend saying he can help Smile Smile Smile

If you are reading this my friend Smile Smile Smile Smile
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

KADRAN00157

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KADRAN00157:
Newsflash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KADRAN00157 will be participatinng this year Smile
As to what will be opened is a mystery.....
Had a call from a friend saying he can help Smile Smile Smile

If you are reading this my friend Smile Smile Smile Smile
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

KADRAN00157

Great! That's cool.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KADRAN00157:
I am gonna bust a box of chocolates just to keep me happy on that day Frown
Forrero Roche Smile

KADRAN00157

better hope OWM does not see this Big Grin

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Report This Post