Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Open That Box! Day 2011 Submissions    Open That Box! Day 2011 Submissions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
Open That Box! Day 2011 Submissions
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Had a busy day with no time to open my boxes, at least I got a chance before midnight. Big Grin

I went for an old and new theme. I had a box of Ink Vault 2010, which is repackaged Inkworks cards. The 4 sealed autograph cards I got were:

Johnny Lewis from AVP Requirm
Joe Dante from Small Soldiers
Peter Coyote from 4200 Smile
Jewel Staite from Firefly Clap

Had all except the Staite, but OK.

The inside box was Shrek the Third, not my cup of tea, but I got a very nice Chad Frye sketch of a Knight on horseback. I will give the cards to the younger kids on my block and keep the sketch. Wink

For the new cards I had to settle for a box of Thor. I was really hoping for an autograph, but no such luck. I did however get 2 costume cards I don't have and another that may be a variant. The costumes were:

F12 Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) Dance
F5 Heimdall (gold strands on black)
F4 Loki (I have one with solid green fabric, this is a black fur type material, variant?)

Also got the expected Thor set and extras.

Happy to see that there was big participation in OTB Day this year. Wavey

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
I will have another surprise entry sometime tonight featuring a guest that's WAY more entertaining than the actual card discussion.

Harris - animation was done with a Mac app called Smoovie and crude photography done on my iPhone. VERY easy to use.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
3 boxes of Tomb Raider

3 boxtoppers

8 complete sets plus leftovers

Need two more for the puzzle set

Need two more for the Quest foil cards

And the autograph cards

Posts: 128 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: April 14, 2002Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chen12:
And the autograph cards

Ding...ding...ding! We have a winner!

Congratulations on the Angelina Jolie card! That's remarkable! Metal

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
chen12 - I think you may have won the best pull on OTB Day award. Not that there is such an award, I don't think. Big Grin

Congrats. Thumb Up

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy carp, i had to pick my jaw up off the floor!! Eek CONGRATULATIONS!!! Dance

Posts: 116 | Location: USA | Registered: January 02, 2011Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
Great pulls everyone! Dance

I was excited about opening a Veronica Mars Season 2 box from Inkworks --- this was my very first Veronica Mars box! The only other VM cards I had in my collection before opening this box was one card - a season 2 promo card #VM2-P1!

I pulled the following cards:

Bad Boys : BL2 / Logan Echolls (1/3)
Justice : J1, J6 (2/6)
Cliffhanger : C-1, C-2, C-3, C-4 (4/9)
Autograph card : A-17 / Krysten Ritter as Gia Goodman (1/10)
Pieceworks card : PW-6 / shirt worn by Tessa Thompson as Jackie Cook

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SciFiMom,

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Report This Post
Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
First of all congrats to chen12, that is one epic pull for open that box day, or any day for that matter!

My budget only allowed for a cheap box of Razor Ink 2010 but I had a lot of fun. I feel that these are perfect for open that box day because it is the ultimate mystery set. Anything can happen!

The box I got was Lost Season 2 in which I pulled:
A-16 Sam Anderson as Bernard Nadler Autograph Card
PW-1 Terry O'Quinn as John Locke Pieceworks Card

As for the 4 autographs I got:
The Mummy Returns: A3 Oded Fehr as Ardeth Bay
Supernatural: A14 Amber Bensen as Lenore
Charmed: A6 Dorian Gregory as Darryl Morris
The 4400: Samantha Ferris as Nina Jarvis

Pretty Cool!

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Report This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

It was a special day for me and my sons as this was the first box of cards they would ever open. I chose an age appropriate subject, an oldie, but a goody with Upper Deck's Comic Ball 2. No real big hits, but they brightened up when the found the cool hologram cards. The best part? The box only cost me $2. The day however was priceless.

Here's a link to more images from our OTBD 2011:
http://cardcornerclub.net/open-that-box-day-2011

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Card Corner Club,

Posts: 2 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 09, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
just got back home from the flyers games and these were waiting at my front door

Posts: 230 | Location: pa | Registered: March 31, 2009Report This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
My son's be eyeing this box for a couple of months now as it sat unopened on my desk. If you're short on time or we bore you, skip ahead to the 3-minute mark for guaranteed laughs.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the autograph cards

Wow, great hit on the Jolie! If you ever decide to trade it let me know!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Here're my results....

Superman Returns:
costumes
P.White Sports Coat
Superman's Cape

embossed 3,4 of 5

Dangerous Divas:
E17/Rogue & Magneto
S3/Brunhilde
S9/Tigra
W7/Savage She-Hulk
W9/Mockingbird
W11/Anya Corazon

sketch by Joe Rubinstein

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Report This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Being buried in an unrelated card project prevented me from ordering any wax boxes in time to open this time around, but I did get a cool factory boxed SET that I think others will find interesting. It's from the fellow who revived FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND in the 1990s and republished it with Forrest J. Ackerman-- until a Battle of the Egos resulted in a falling out and mega-hundred thousand dollar lawsuit, etc. etc. etc. As usual, only the lawyers made out, but at least monster collectors got 50 new issues of the magazine, and these way cool killer covers.

THE PROS:
The artist, named Arlis, does beautiful work. The layouts are neat, and the color fantastic. All the most popular monsters are here, especially the Universal bunch and many others to boot. These are not photos, but paintings (or at least heavily manipulated photos made to look like paintings). So unless you have the original magazine issues #200-249, these are all new images.

THE CONS: There's only 36 cards in the set, and they cost twice as much as most factory sets do, even though there are so few cards in the set (and that doesn't include the additional cost of shipping)! It's not sold in wax boxes at all, so there's no special inserts or any of that stuff, but you CAN buy them in packs. But again, the price of the packs is also steep, about twice the price of a typical pack. I guess it is what it is.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS: The backs don't have any fancy graphics, but contain interesting text about the subject on the front. Sometimes the information is wrong, like on card #22, which incorrectly states that the monster and story pictured on the front as "The Galaxy Being" from the Outer Limits TV show, (when it is actually "The Architects of Fear" from the same series). When one considers these images first showed up on a cover of a magazine as popular as FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND (issue #240, to be exact), it's hard to understand how a mistake like that could occur in 2005 and none of the readers say anything in the five years (or ten issues) that passed since it was first published! But if you're like me, you find that these kinds of idiosyncrasies only make the set more interesting. It's also kinda funny to think a magazine written BY fanboys FOR fanboys could intellectually debate how many Vulcans it would take to change a light year bulb (and probably argue using the Klingon language), yet they would get something this obvious so wrong and none of the readers noticed, or else they DID notice but were to afraid to tell the emperor about his clothing malfunction.

All that aside, I really like the set, and as far as the high price is concerned, Ray Ferry lost everything in the frivolous lawsuit and could probably use all the financial help he can get. (If you want the real dirt on the entire lawsuit fiasco, check out his 427 page tome, "LIFE IS BUT A SCREAM- The True Story of the Rebirth of Famous Monsters of Filmland".) So these cards also have a lot of history behind them as well.

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Report This Post
Picture of HPCollector2011
posted Hide Post
Hey, guys!

I wasn't able to participate this year, didn't get my box ordered in time. So, I lived vicariously through all of you!

It was great watching everyone have such a good time. The Angelina Jolle pull....WOW. And the HP cards (my favs, of course). If you want to find a home for the closthes pegs, let me know. I might be interested.

I WILL make sure to have a box of HP cards ready to participate next year. Can't miss this kind of a good time two years in a row.

Congratulations to everyone!

Posts: 30 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I had hoped to have received my box of Monsterwax's Jules Verne cards in time, but I didn't. I'll enjoy opening that box later. Luckily I had some other boxes set aside for today.
I started by opening a box of Batman Archives at midnight. I pulled a awesome sketch of Batman by Raapack. My best batman sketch yet.
Later in the day I opened few boxes of Star Wars Clone Wars Season 1. I managed to pull a excellent sketch of a clone trooper aiming a rifle by Jamie Snell. I also pulled a great sketch of Obi-Wan by Carolyn Edwards.
Next I opened a box of X2 cards. I pulled a auto of Collusus and Iceman, but no memorabilia cards. I was disapointed to learn the hobby box has no other insert sets. The retail boxes have all the other insert sets.
I had fun opening the packs and found some great cards. Looking forward to next year.

IMG_1005 by jaybird1515, on Flickr

IMG_1008 by jaybird1515, on Flickr

IMG_1011 by jaybird1515, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batjay,

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the autograph cards

Eek

Metal Awesome! Congrats Clap

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened up a box of Dexter season 3 yesterday for open that box day and these are the specials that I got:

Dexter puzzle card: D3-CP8, D3-CP9
Dexter quotes: D3-Q6, D3-Q7
Dexter's victims: D3-V5, D3-V6
Autograph Costume Card: D3AC-LV (Lauren Velez)
Costume Card: D3-C14 (Angel Batista)
Prop Card: D3-P6 (Dexter's tool bag)

I was hoping for a sketch card, but I can't complain getting a Autograph costume and a Prop card Smile.

Posts: 145 | Location: Blerick, Holland | Registered: April 04, 2009Report This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batjay:
Hi all,

I had hoped to have received my box of Monsterwax's Jules Verne cards in time, but I didn't. I'll enjoy opening that box later. Luckily I had some other boxes set aside for today.
I started by opening a box of Batman Archives at midnight. I pulled a awesome sketch of Batman by Raapack. My best batman sketch yet.
Later in the day I opened few boxes of Star Wars Clone Wars Season 1. I managed to pull a excellent sketch of a clone trooper aiming a rifle by Jamie Snell. I also pulled a great sketch of Obi-Wan by Carolyn Edwards.
Next I opened a box of X2 cards. I pulled a auto of Collusus and Iceman, but no memorabilia cards. I was disapointed to learn the hobby box has no other insert sets. The retail boxes have all the other insert sets.
I had fun opening the packs and found some great cards. Looking forward to next year.

IMG_1005 by jaybird1515, on Flickr

IMG_1008 by jaybird1515, on Flickr

IMG_1011 by jaybird1515, on Flickr

I don't know if you are parting with it, but I would love to trade the Asajj Ventress autograph from you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quaint1,

Posts: 2 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 09, 2011Report This Post