Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

N Z Weet Bix cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
The NZ company Sanitarium issued a 2021 set of Rugby All Black cards about Aug there were 70 million cards printed and they were distributed in their premier product Weet Bix at a ratio of 3 cards 1kg pack 2 cards 750gr pack they were sold out about Dec
In this series there were inserted 500 gold cards of one of our most famous players Jonah Lomu
Today I have received the Feb copy of our card collecting magazine and in it there is an item on these Gold cards
To date there is only 2 of these cards out of 500 been found
This would be due to the fact that most people in NZ do not or not interested in collecting these cards so leave them in the bottom of the packet and throw them away
Another way they are distributed is to donate the packets to food banks wich are broken up and the pavcks thrown away
Anyway this card even though there are 500 of them should become one of the most sought after card in the Rugby card collecting arena and I would go as far to say when or if one comes up fpr auction I will be in line pushing up the price

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm just curious. Did you really mean to say "70 million cards printed"? I have never seen a Rugby card or know any players, even the superstars.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rugby is big in New Zealand and Australia. I've seen some of the promo cards and I have a lenticular one from Australia because it has a shark as part of the logo.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I'm just curious. Did you really mean to say "70 million cards printed"? I have never seen a Rugby card or know any players, even the superstars.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Piko,

What's your card collecting magazine? Do you get promos with it?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
The NZ company Sanitarium issued a 2021 set of Rugby All Black cards about Aug there were 70 million cards printed and they were distributed in their premier product Weet Bix at a ratio of 3 cards 1kg pack 2 cards 750gr pack they were sold out about Dec
In this series there were inserted 500 gold cards of one of our most famous players Jonah Lomu
Today I have received the Feb copy of our card collecting magazine and in it there is an item on these Gold cards
To date there is only 2 of these cards out of 500 been found
This would be due to the fact that most people in NZ do not or not interested in collecting these cards so leave them in the bottom of the packet and throw them away
Another way they are distributed is to donate the packets to food banks wich are broken up and the pavcks thrown away
Anyway this card even though there are 500 of them should become one of the most sought after card in the Rugby card collecting arena and I would go as far to say when or if one comes up fpr auction I will be in line pushing up the price

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

I suspect that Piko's magazine is likely to be Cardlines which is issued by the New Zealand Cartophilic Society.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The magazine is titled Cardlines issued quarterly
Sanatarium company are a breakfast cereal company and would probably produce %90 of NZs breakfast cereals
They have been including cards in their products since about 1942 and have issued a set of cards every year sometimes two except for 1920 when covid somehow upset production
Until 1998 this covered all items but since 1999 they have produced sets of our Famous All Blacks Rugby team on a side note the USA rugby team has been lately rising in the world ranks in this sport
These cards have been produced in all sorts of formats over the years
Lately some alternating issues have been issued in a card game format and the 2021 set was in this format
The Gold card mentioned in my blog was issued with this set
Just yesterday there has been one put up for auction Sanatarium have had a set mounted framed and each card signed by its pictured player and a All Black players team signed Jersey and put up for auction at approx $750 US
$1110 NZ for a charity There is a lot of interest in this lot by the look of the Questions being asked even coming from international interested parties
this brings up the question were there more than 500 issued as it seems that another one was given away to a certain unnamed person
There are not many valuable cards within all their issues occasionally there were a special limited edition very limited and these cards are quiet valuable
It has been said that a set was produced for 1920 but not issued but never seen one
When I have learnt to put up pictures I will try and put a short resume with pictures until then thanks for the interest

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The set of NZ Weet Bix Rugby cards with Signatures and the rare Gold card and signed jersey sold at auction
$5200.00 NZ
I think there were 17 bids

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did this sell on ebay ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No it was only on the NZ Trade Me site NZs national equivalent of E Bay
But there were International bids on it.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Why don't we have a Cartophilic Society in the US?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post