Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Releases (not card related)    Disney Pixar Treasures (Upper Deck, 2004): Target (also: a short end-note about FYE)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney Pixar Treasures (Upper Deck, 2004): Target (also: a short end-note about FYE)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted
This item defies the forum categories. It’s a traditional trading card set, but it’s an old one that has resurfaced at Target. This is a GREAT, GREAT find, so read on…..

In my area, the Targets and ShopKo’s are stocked by a vendor called Legends. They always bring the latest sports and non-sports products, but they also bring out the repackaged products that companies dump years after the initial retail run. For example, the WizKids product Pirates (the pocket model card game) has been heavily repackaged by Legends in the last year as either $1 packs or boxes of 6 packs for $5. They are mostly gone now, but you get the idea – Target and ShopKo is the place to go if you like to keep an eye out for clearanced items from years past. I have noticed Legends also distributes to “fye” stores and I recently bought 3-pack packages of Lord of The Rings cards for, no I am not kidding about this, 99 cents EACH! Between Target, ShopKo, and FYE, I have picked up drastically reduced boxes and packs of Maplestory (WOTC), Zelda (Enterplay), older Topps Heritage sports cards (such as the great 2008 set modeled after the 1961 cads), multiple LOTR titles from Topps and Decipher, European Pokemon stickers from Merlin (no kidding!), multiple titles of the WizKids Pirates cards, the Star Wars pocket model cards, and many others.

And now for the latest find – which is one of the best I have seen in a long time. Upper Deck’s Disney Pixar Treasures came out back in ’04 in promotion of The Incredibles. Those of you familiar with Upper Deck’s line of Disney cards know they were printed on VERY good quality card stock and featured a nice but simple design of stamped movie logos and a LARGE variety of good, quality chase cards. The one, very expensive, draw back was the cards were mathematically impossible to complete with just one box, including just the base cards. The best chase cards were the Reel Piece of History cards (5 total) that were distributed only once per box of 24 packs. I distinctly remember picking up ONE sample pack years ago for 2 or 3 dollars, which – if you do the Math – means a 50 or 75 dollar purchase per box. Given that there are 175 cards total to collect – that price tag was not worth it at all….until now.

Those same boxes have resurfaced in large quantities at Targets in Salt Lake City for only $10 PER BOX!!! (I am not sure about ShopKo – haven’t been there is a few weeks)

What…a…deal!!! I have bought FIVE boxes so far. Of those five, I still have about 30 packs to open and so far I have all of the die-cut Outtakes (1:3 / #151-160), and I am missing only 2 of the 20 cards featured in the two subsets Now You Know (1:6 / #161-170) and Concept Art (not technically chase cards, but still you never get more than one per pack / #91-100). In addition, the Reel Piece of History cards (#171-175) are a GREAT find. Of the five, I got only 3 – 171, 172, and 173; however – and this part is cool – I pulled three Bug’s Life Reel Piece of History cards, #173, but all three cards have DIFFERENT film images, which means that these particular chase cards are UNLIMITED in their variety. You would likely have all different images if you got 10 of the same card! Here are two samples of what these cards look like:

DPT-171: http://i74.photobucket.com/alb...offpam25/e150_12.jpg
All Five cards (sorry it's so small): http://i74.photobucket.com/alb...36ebbd0e29fce32e.jpg

All in all, this is one of the BEST items to clearance out at Target. If you see these, and you’re into Disney Treasures from Upper Deck but you didn’t like how expensive they were “back in the day” for such large sets, I highly recommend these before they get snagged. One of my local stores had 6 boxes just over a week ago and 5 days later (this past Saturday), one was left and I grabbed it of course!

One last thing, I have included an image of the box here so you know what to look for. This image is old, so when you find the box (IF you do), it will have a sticker that says something like “75% reduced! Now only $9.99!”. Also, below is a link to a checklist from a website that has all the Upper Deck Disney Treasure checklists.

Box image: http://i74.photobucket.com/alb...am25/51JAK9X7HRL.jpg
Checklist: http://nslists.com/distrepx.htm

Happy hunting, shipmates!!!

Geoff

P.S. If you are lucky enough to have an FYE in town (website, click HERE), I recommend you check out their trading card stand. They may have some GREAT clearance items there. I recently picked up 3 packs of Shrek (from Dart) for 99 cents, 3 packs of Digimon for 99 cents (the good ones from years ago), and for $10 (99 cents for 3 packs, 30 packs total), I picked up 11 packs of Topps Return of the King Update, 8 packs of Topps LOTR Evolution (got two A level chase cards), 4 packs of LOTR Decipher (two foils), and 7 packs of the 2nd set of Topps LOTR Masterpiece art card set (5 foils featuring those magnificent sketches that roll during the ROTK credits when Annie Lennox is singing).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: geoffbovey,

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Within the last 2 month's, I purchased 4 boxes of the Disney Treasures at $9.99 each. Now Target has opened boxes with $.99 a pack. Only one card #73 in all 4 boxes.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Geoff,

It's funny how Utah gets merchandise earlier than the rest of us.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check out my local Targets {Warwick has 2} and our FYE.

I still haven't found those bloody Reece's PB cup/Green Lantern wrapper yet. And I've checked everywhere. gas stations, super markets, and retail stores.....a real bummer.

Fred

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mister E.:
Within the last 2 month's, I purchased 4 boxes of the Disney Treasures at $9.99 each. Now Target has opened boxes with $.99 a pack. Only one card #73 in all 4 boxes.

Man, that's a MAJOR rip-off!!! Maybe the vendor is different in that area? Those boxes are sealed in our area for $9.99, they aren't packaged in any other way. Is it possible the Target manager is the one opening the boxes for the extra money? It would be interesting to see if those packs are priced at $1 with a Target sticker or a distributor's sticker. (it should be the distributor, not Target).

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

It wasn't always that way for me. When I lived in Washington state, then later in Corpus Christi, my situation was like yours - our product came late or not at all.

quote:
I still haven't found those bloody Reese's PB cup/Green Lantern wrappers yet. And I've checked everywhere. gas stations, super markets, and retail stores.....a real bummer.

I feel your pain. I have checked all Supermarkets, 7-11's, Walgreen's, Targets - nothing. Flying J only (and that's where I got two packages that each had the same image). Mind you, I haven't checked Wal-Mart or K-Mart. Has anyone checked those places yet??

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Target uses the UPC code on the wrappers for the $.99 pack cost.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I snagged a box of these at Target tonight. It was the only box there. I purchased it for $9.99 and I think I'll save it for the next "Open That Box Day."

The other Target, here in Warwick, didn't have it so I lucked out.

Even though I don't have any Disney cards, I do love all the Pixar movies.
{only reason why Disney bought Pixar is because they new they couldn't compete with them.
That's my opinion, of course}.

Fred

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy: {only reason why Disney bought Pixar is because they new they couldn't compete with them.
That's my opinion, of course}.....Fred

I TOTAALY agree with you, Fred. I've been a huge fan of Pixar since BEFORE it was a Disney affiliate and even before the first film. I saw all the shorts - Luxo Jr, Knick Knack, Red's Dream,, and Tin Toy - in Montreal repertory theatres when they first were released in the 1980's, and were always part of the animation tours that featured international shorts and appeared only in repertory or college venues. I was an instant fan and have been following them ever since. I distinctly remember being in a packed theatre with ONLY college students seeing over two dozen shorts, and the entire audience CRYING with laughter when that baby stood up, drooled, and the Toy Soldier cowered in terror. The Pixar guys really get it – character and story are the only things that matter in film, nothing else. I still think Up, Toy Story 3, and The Incredibles are all tied for the ultimate trilogy of masterpieces. I can’t wait for Cars 2 – I was not a big fan of the first Cars film, but I think the Pixar team is such a conglomerate of comedic and artistic madmen, that I would see ANYTHING with the Pixar name now and not even care what it might be about. Disney REALLY lucked out getting John Lasseter’s posse of geniuses attached to their name.

Meanwhile, I opened my last 3 packs of the Disney Pixar Treasures last night. Get this…. I bouight 5 boxes total ($50) making for 120 packs or 600 cards in all. While hanging out wit my wife last night laughing our guts out to reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond (best family show since Family Ties, I think, and nothing better since except maybe Parenthood & Modern Family), I said, “I’m feeling lucky, honey. Here, open this pack.” She got really excited because she likes to open my packs every once in awhile, even though she could care less about my hobby and will Ebay everything when I kick the bucket (she’s a lot younger than me, so I will likely be gone long before she is). So what do you think happened? The LAST two chase cards I needed – one Now You Know card and one Concept Art card – were BOTH in the same pack!!! What are the chances of THAT? Out of 120 packs and 600 cards, it took my wife opening the last pack out of 3 remaining to get them both! I told her she was very “HAW-AW-AWT” several times after that!! lol.

I wish you luck with what you find in one box, Fred, but frankly you will be more satisfied, I think, if you can find a few more boxes. One box won‘t cut it, as you can see from my experience. Those boxes are selling FAST – there were none left in the Target last night when I went to pick up my Retro 7-UP cases (a la Celebrity Apprentice), so good luck!

Geoff

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geoffbovey:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy: {only reason why Disney bought Pixar is because they new they couldn't compete with them.
That's my opinion, of course}.....Fred

Meanwhile, I opened my last 3 packs of the Disney Pixar Treasures last night. Get this…. I bouight 5 boxes total ($50) making for 120 packs or 600 cards in all. While hanging out wit my wife last night laughing our guts out to reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond (best family show since Family Ties, I think, and nothing better since except maybe Parenthood & Modern Family), I said, “I’m feeling lucky, honey. Here, open this pack.” She got really excited because she likes to open my packs every once in awhile, even though she could care less about my hobby and will Ebay everything when I kick the bucket (she’s a lot younger than me, so I will likely be gone long before she is). So what do you think happened? The LAST two chase cards I needed – one Now You Know card and one Concept Art card – were BOTH in the same pack!!! What are the chances of THAT? Out of 120 packs and 600 cards, it took my wife opening the last pack out of 3 remaining to get them both! I told her she was very “HAW-AW-AWT” several times after that!! lol.

I wish you luck with what you find in one box, Fred, but frankly you will be more satisfied, I think, if you can find a few more boxes. One box won‘t cut it, as you can see from my experience. Those boxes are selling FAST – there were none left in the Target last night when I went to pick up my Retro 7-UP cases (a la Celebrity Apprentice), so good luck!

Geoff

That's a great story. I've had one like that before, too. I guess it just boils down to pure luck. Still a great feeling though !

I'll have to go back to my Targets at least once a week to see if they replenish the boxes.

Like I said earlier...I think I'm going to hold on to them until the next "Open That Box Day".
But it's such a long time away. Frown

Fred

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It wasn't always that way for me. When I lived in Washington state, then later in Corpus Christi, my situation was like yours - our product came late or not at all.

quote:
I still haven't found those bloody Reese's PB cup/Green Lantern wrappers yet. And I've checked everywhere. gas stations, super markets, and retail stores.....a real bummer.

I feel your pain. I have checked all Supermarkets, 7-11's, Walgreen's, Targets - nothing. Flying J only (and that's where I got two packages that each had the same image). Mind you, I haven't checked Wal-Mart or K-Mart. Has anyone checked those places yet??

email sent.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
I have a BUTT-TON of dupes if anyone interested in a trade. I have the entire set from 5 boxes, so my needs would be fulfilled in other ways (like, we'd need to use our imaginations a bit…..I’d take just about anything, even a mystery grab-bag). But first....before I spend hours typing out my dupes, I need to know if it's worth it.....who here needs to fill holes with this set????

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Anyone else into buying these ?

I was in one of my local Target stores tonight and came across another 6 boxes. No, I did not purchase any more. lol But I did stash two just in case somebody needs a box or two. Wink
If not I'll have to go back and fix what I did.

Fred

PS: I saw two guys cherry picking SPORT T-cards tonight there, too.

Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
I tried my two local Targets with no luck Frown
All I wanted was a box (or 3) is that so much to ask? lol
Meijer was the only place that has cards behind lock & key. Loved it that way, even if I have to find an employee before I buy.

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBelcher:

Meijer was the only place that has cards behind lock & key. Loved it that way, even if I have to find an employee before I buy.

I remember that's how Wal-Mart did it years ago. There are pros and cons. I need to rummage thru stuff, just like kids, to find what I want, but I am pretty good at returning things to where they belong. I am sick of seeing the displays at Wal-Mart, Target, and Shopko (but especially Target) picked over and messed up by people who could care less about keeping the display tidy. Hence, the lock and key of yesteryear was not such a bad idea.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember that's how Wal-Mart did it years ago. There are pros and cons. I need to rummage thru stuff, just like kids, to find what I want, but I am pretty good at returning things to where they belong. I am sick of seeing the displays at Wal-Mart, Target, and Shopko (but especially Target) picked over and messed up by people who could care less about keeping the display tidy. Hence, the lock and key of yesteryear was not such a bad idea.

You think Target stores are bad ? Have you ever been in a Dollar Store? Holly Cow, talk about un-tidy. Their boxes have cards within other boxes. Looks like a mini tornado went through the card section and tossed everything around. I've never seen a "tidy" display in a Dollar Store. NEVER !

Target stores I find the best. As for Wal-Marts...the stores over here the trading cards are behind the express check out counter. Even with my glasses on I can barely read what they have. Plus your in line and only have about a minute to look, so that's another place I just give up on.

Fred

posted Hide Post
Hi, guys! I too have hit my local Target in the last week and purchased three boxes. I am missing only 7 cards now and am looking for any help I can get in trades or purchase, if necessary. The cards I need are DPT-2(Woody), DPT-17(Buster), DPT-39(Rosie), DPT-51(Roz), DPT-91(Concept Art), DPT-166(Bug's Life Now You Know), DPT-168(Monster's Inc Now You Know). I also have an extra Toy Story 2 Reel Piece of History I would like to trade for a Monster's Incorporated Reel Piece of History if interested. Please contact me if you can help or want to trade. Thanks!

Posts: 10 | Location: Georgia | Registered: June 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EricH:
Hi, guys! I too have hit my local Target in the last week and purchased three boxes. I am missing only 7 cards now and am looking for any help I can get in trades or purchase, if necessary. The cards I need are DPT-2(Woody), DPT-17(Buster), DPT-39(Rosie), DPT-51(Roz), DPT-91(Concept Art), DPT-166(Bug's Life Now You Know), DPT-168(Monster's Inc Now You Know). I also have an extra Toy Story 2 Reel Piece of History I would like to trade for a Monster's Incorporated Reel Piece of History if interested. Please contact me if you can help or want to trade. Thanks!

Eric,

Welcome aboard.

I have the first five numbers you listed.

I can't send you an email because you don't have one listed in your profile.
So, you can email me at RITrekkie@cox.net if you want these cards.

Fred.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freddy,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Found them at a Target yesterday. Each pack was marked at $0.99.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EriktheArchitect:
Found them at a Target yesterday. Each pack was marked at $0.99.

My kid brother bought 4 or 5 boxes at his local Target in Danbury, Ct. They were marked wrong at $6.99/box. Of course I bought 2 boxes from him. The regular price for these boxes were $9.99, still a pretty good deal, in my opinion.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I thought they were 9.99 for a box of 24 but my Target open the boxes and priced each pack at 99 cents!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post