Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal Club cards
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted

We have a story today on the blog about Metal Club cards. You can find these at your local independent record store and they are free with a CD purchase (or sometimes just free, depending on the store). There's a lot of info and a checklist on the blog here:

Cards for Metal Fans

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I need to get these....

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
The story has just been updated. I have included images of all five cards.

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I need to get these....

Ted~ Are you near Philly? The store I found them in myself is in downtown Philly. I knew these would be right up your alley! If you look now, you'll see images of the two cards that you are most likely after.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I did a quick "find a participating store" on the website via the NSU blog, that are offering these cards, and low and behold Newbury Comics have them. I'll swing by the one here in Warwick tomorrow and ask. Hopefully I can get a couple for free.

I think the last Heavy Metal album I bought must have been back in 1980 or 81 when I bought AC/DC's Back in Black album. Metal And that was vinyl, not a CD. LOL

And if I strike out with Newbury Comics I'll try a few stores in CT on Friday, because I'm headed to my parents house and I'll be going past a few other record stores. But those look more like family owned businesses not a chain store like Newbury Comics, which are numerous here in RI & MASS.

I'll post my findings when I get back on Sunday or Monday.

Peace

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Freddy. All of the stores are independent stores. That's kind of the purpose of their initiative....to drive people into some of these independent record stores. The funny thing is (and it's not really funny), there's not really many non-independent stores around any more now that Tower, Virgin, etc. are all gone. I guess the only major chain any more is FYE and Best Buy unless you count Barnes & Noble and other book chains that sell music.

I don't think every store is going to have the cards. I hope Newberry does though! That's a cool store -- I've been in one of those in Maine.

Let us know if you find them.

Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
the stores listed in Ontario carrying these cards are a chain - Sunrise
- figure that one out ??

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:
the stores listed in Ontario carrying these cards are a chain - Sunrise
- figure that one out ??

Maybe a chain of independents? Yeah, that's odd. But Newbury is a small chain of stores too.

Hey look, your store has the cards advertised on their site (bottom of this page):

Sunrise freebies

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Dang! The only store anywhere near me is the Princeton Record Exchange, almost an hour away. Frown

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
The story has just been updated. I have included images of all five cards.

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I need to get these....

Ted~ Are you near Philly? The store I found them in myself is in downtown Philly. I knew these would be right up your alley! If you look now, you'll see images of the two cards that you are most likely after.

Yeah but there's a store pretty close to my work in DE, I may hit them up on my lunch break tomorrow.

Batman, if I can somehow score any extras, they're yours. Smile

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Okay here's my update regarding these cards.

My local Newbury Comics, here in Warwick, had the "Lamb of God" card at one point a few weeks or months ago, according to the very helpful and pleasant young clerk that helped me this morning. But he hasn't seen the others. And he took a couple of minutes to look around, behind the counter, but to no avail though. Frown

I had three places in CT that I was going to drive to on Friday, while on my way to my parents house, but I opted to call them first before wasting time getting off the highway. Thank goodness I did because two out of the three places didn't hear about this offer, but the third one had a couple of them, which I believe are the Scorpions and the Lamb of God cards. I asked if I could send them a SASE for them and she said, "yes." So I shipped off two plastic toppers today. I also included in the SASE a little thank you note and a plea for any extras. LOL She also said that she has seen the others but they have long since been gone. Frown I'm hoping I should see the two she does have in about a week (note: when I send SASE's to Rittenhouse [RI to PA] I get them in 5 business days}.

There are some other Newbury Comics around me, but they're mainly north of me in Mass. A little out of the way, but I'll call them and see if they have any up there.

Fred

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
There is a small chain called Plan 9 that is listed as participating, but they are in Charlottsville and Richmond. I might have to call them to see if they can help me. There is also an independent listed in Vienna, VA. Might be able to check that one out...

Good job Freddy!Hope you find them all! Smile

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miket999:
Good job Freddy! Hope you find them all! Smile

I agree. You are diligent! Seems to me that you went out looking for the Chip Foose cards after reading my post and couldn't find those either. Maybe that was someone else though.

I am glad you decided to start calling first. The store where I found mine also only had those two cards (Scorpions and Lamb of God).

The funny thing is, I should have been alerted to these months ago. My Secret Santa had included the first card (Ozzy Osbourne) in my Secret Santa gift. So whoever my "Santa" was, he/she found them somewhere. I liked that card when I first saw it since it's music related and I hadn't seen it before, but I didn't know then that it was part of a (somewhat) larger set of these.

Hope you (and Mike and everyone else) find the rest.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Batman, if I can somehow score any extras, they're yours.

Thanks Ted! I scored your "Sith Attacks" card from that auction site, way cool! Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
quote:
Batman, if I can somehow score any extras, they're yours.

Thanks Ted! I scored your "Sith Attacks" card from that auction site, way cool! Smile

Hey, cool!! I'm glad it went to a good home. Smile

Just returned from the record store, they had a good amount of each except for #2 Megadeth. I got 4 copies of each of the others. So Batman, one of the sets is for you. I have two of each other card available (#1 Ozzy, #3 Anthrax, #4 Scorpions, #5 Lamb of God), I'd like to get the Megadeth card to complete my set.

The guy probably would have let me take them all but I didn't want to be "that guy." Big Grin Looks like they've been sitting out on the counter a while, they were pretty dusty.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Shame they haven't done them in the UK although I am not sure where a record store is these days. Funny I was talking the other day about the 5 independant record stores I used to visit in my home town

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Today I spent about 45 minutes calling around the New England area, looking for these cards. It looks like there's only the Scorpions card and the Lamb Of God card around here. Some places never heard of this promotion and others told me that these are long gone. And some of these stores said that they remember seeing the first three cards as well, but are long since gone, too.

Luckily I found two 'non-chain' stores that will give me what they have {the above mentioned cards} for a SASE. Those two store were in CT & MASS.

@ Harris, I finally did find those WD-40 Foose Chase cards, but I opted not to purchase them because, they were kind of expensive {to purchase the entire lot} and what am i going to do with so many cans of WD-40? LOL
{Side note: WD-40 stands for "water deterrent-40th sample". Meaning number 40 was the best formula that did what it was supposed to do. I think I either read this in Popular Mechanics or I heard it on the John Ratzenberger show "Made in America" ?}

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Ted~ May I ask what the name of the record store was? I'm always looking for a good record store. Yup, I'm that guy -- the last guy in America actually buying records, well, CDs anyway.

Hammer~ Record Store Day (which is also sort of related to this) is an International event. I know this because I had to get Quaint1 to track me down a couple of "must have" records on that day two years ago. So it's possible the "Metal Club" cards might be somewhere in London too, though probably not too likely.

My contact did tell me how many cards were printed and it's not an insignificant amount. You have to wonder where these all went. Maybe the bin? I've checked eBay a couple of times and the only one I see is the Ozzy card - and just the one that is up there now (for $12 dollars, ouch), I think.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Harris, it was Rainbow Records in Newark, DE, on the UofD campus. Not a very large store, but they had a good amount of vinyl. about 1/3 was records, 1/3 CD's, and 1/3 books. Wasn't any bigger than a small store in the mall. I'd hate for you to drive down there and be disappointed in the selection.

They had about 25-30 of the 4 cards just sitting on the counter. It seemed like there were less Lamb of God than the others.

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they have any of the cards (I doubt it) but when Harris asked me to get some RSD stuff a while back I went to Adrians in Wickford, Essex - it is about the only independent record store in the area and certainly the only one I know of that was participating in RSD that year.
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, March 15, I got back one of the SASE's that I sent out for those Metal Cards. And enclosed within was 3 Scorpions and 2 Lamb of Gods.

Hopefully I'll get the other SASE soon, but that one should also have the same cards in them, too.

Tomorrow I'll be close to that Massachusetts Newbury Comics, so I'll swing in there and pick up whatever they have. Then I'll know what I need and what I have to trade.

Fred