Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valentine Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted
Walmart has Marvel (and other) Valentine cards in a mail box type box for $3.47. Thor, Captain America, Cars and others inside. Nice for the kids.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think this thread warrants a more detailed follow-up....

I’ve been collecting Valentines cards for years now. Ever since Star Wars Ep. II Attack of the Clones, I’ve taken more notice of the Valentines and how collectible they have become. So, starting around 2002-ish, I got into to picking them up, especially in the days AFTER the holiday when they ALL go on sale for 50% off at all stores. There are now many, many designs that all tie in to the latest films , TV franchises, and licensed characters, and the 3D designs have become more abundant.

I recommend that if anyone decides to get into these, it’ll be very worthwhile to check out the major chains right after the 14th, because they are easy to get at reduced prices. But, of course, there's always the gamble the nicest designs will be sold out – and that’s happened to me in the past.

This year is probably the best year I have seen so far for Valentines collectibles. I have seen more movies and TV shows tied in to Valentines than ever before. What I do is I'll pick up the best ones before the holiday ends to ensure I don’t lose out, then I'll return after the holiday to get the rest at reduced prices.

I have scoped out ALL the major chains in the past two weeks and I think I have a pretty good idea of where to get which cards. So, here’ is a list of the ones I think are worth picking up. I’ll let you decide which ones are worth getting now (as opposed to gambling with trying to pick them up after the 14th with the possibility of them being sold out). The locations I recommend are Wal-Mart, Target, any large grocery chain, and K-Mart. If you go to those four first, you will eventually see ALL the designs. Some are exclusive to certain stores, some are not, so it would be too much work to try and figure that out for this message. Just go enjoy the hunt! (this list is just what I can remember, there are MANY more that what I mentioned below).

Star Wars, Ep. 1 (lenticular)
Star Wars, Ep. 1 (non-lenticular)
Star Wars, Clone Wars (lenticular – same design as last year)
Star Wars, Clone Wars (new non-lenticular version)
Star Wars, Lego
Captain America (lenticular)
Cars 2 (lenticular)
Green Lantern (lenticular)
Green Lantern (non-lenticular)
Transformers, Dark of the Moon (lenticular)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (normal set in regular box)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (lunch box format)
Rio (includes lenticular bookmarks)
Madagascar Penguins
Dreamworks characters (incl. Madagascar 3, Puss In Boots, Shrek, Megamind, Over the Hedge, etc.)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Pirates of the Caribbean 4
Puss In Boots
Peanuts (all the characters)
Peanuts (just Snoopy & Woodstock)
Thor (normal set in regular box)
Thor (lunch box format)
The Avengers (featuring the movie versions of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America together on each image)
Glee
The Lorax
The Muppets (includes lenticular bookmarks)
The Muppets (normal set in regular box)
Princess Fairies (lenticular – I’ve seen two designs, a new one and another from last year)
Scooby Doo
The Smurfs
Justin Bieber
Bratz

....and the list goes on and on. This list is NOT complete at all, it's just what I can remember at the moment while sitting in my classroom. Go check ‘em out, you guys would be surprised how good some of them are. Good luck.

Geoff

This message has been edited. Last edited by: geoffbovey,

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to check out the Dollar Store. Their valentine collection can be surprising sometimes as well.

So do you keep the entire box - or just one sheet with each valentines? Or do you take them apart, like perforated trading cards? I've also enjoyed some of the ones NOT tied into movies, like the 3D animal or pet ones.

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RevJay:

So do you keep the entire box - or just one sheet with each valentines? Or do you take them apart, like perforated trading cards?

I recycle the box, keep one set of the cards (and any stickers or tattoos that came with the purchase), and donate the rest to my classroom. I then take the set I kept and break them up to (eventually) go into an album.

On a side note, the lenticular cards are a perfect fit in the 12-slot Ultra Pro pages that I typically use for Panini stickers or other mini-cards.

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
Would any of you be interested in seeing pictures of the displays at the stores? If you are, I will try to sneek a shot of them next time I am in the store this week.... Let me know. Pictures might help to give an idea to all of you if this is worth it, for those of you unfamiliar.....

Also, click on the link below if you want to read more about the company Paper Magic Group. This is one of the 3 or 4 companies responsible for the cards. Specifically, the lenticular cards appear to be coming from just this company alone. Hallmark distributes their own selection of cards to Wal-Mart. This is not a plug - I just think the lenticular cards are the nicest of all the choices so I thought some of you might be interested to read about the manufacturer.

Paper Magic Group

This message has been edited. Last edited by: geoffbovey,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cool! Thanks for all the info, I'm going to have to see if I can pick up some of the lenticular ones after the 14th.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
I went to pick up some prizes for my wife yesterday, and I keep discovering more sets I didn't see before. So I have modified my list above to include some of the variations I remember seeing (i.e. Kung Fu Panda 2, Green Lantern, Thor, Muppets, etc...).

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anything interesting in this year's crop of valetines at local stores?

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anything interesting in this year's crop of valetines at local stores?

A few weeks ago, I spotted several sets (Avengers, Star Wars, etc.) at the drugstore and supermarket which included lenticular cards and / or tatoos.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
My earlier post was about old style mailboxes on post boxes.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
I went to Walmart yesterday and found both Star Wars and Avengers (Movie) lenticular Valentine cards. I really like the Avengers. There are 3 sheets of 9 Valentines (27 total in each box). Big Grin

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For anyone who collects comics DC put out a book "YOUNG ROMANCE VALENTINES SPECIAL" inside are valentine cards with DC heroes. It is expensive for a comic $7.99 + TAX but the cards are cool.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The selection of 2015 valentines seems to be overwhelming. It seems like every store has a completely different selection with all kinds of extras ... stickers, pencils, tattoos, gel bugs, bookmarks.

I picked up How to Train Your Dragon 2 lenticular valentines - 8 different to a sheet. I only want one sheet. Got 3 extra. Anyone interested ???

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
RevJay,
I have an extra Guardians of the Galaxy sheet {of 8} from the same company. Trade?
Fred S.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Send me your address and I will mail off next week.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely. Send me your address and I will mail off next week.

Email sent.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
OMG - on February 15th, my local K-Mart announced it was closing. Very very sad...

But since they are clearing out, Valentines were reduced to $0.25 per box.

If anyone interested, I now have extra sheets [9 to a sheet] of the following lenticular valentines:

Angry Birds {Paper Magic]
Despicable Me minions
Ever After High
Furry Friends
My Little Pony
The Amazing Spider-Man

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
OMG - on February 15th, my local K-Mart announced it was closing. Very very sad...

But since they are clearing out, Valentines were reduced to $0.25 per box.

If anyone interested, I now have extra sheets [9 to a sheet] of the following lenticular valentines:

Angry Birds {Paper Magic]
Despicable Me minions
Ever After High
Furry Friends
My Little Pony
The Amazing Spider-Man

I'm interested in the Despicable Me and The Amazing Spider-Man.
I'll send you a private message about them.

Fred