Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Land O' Frost Avengers Cards
 Login/Join
 
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Went thru 25 packs of meat at a local Market Basket grocery store, and the meat guy wondered what I was doing. I explained that there was a non-sport Avenger's card in certain packs. He started feeling the packs and found none, as I walked away, one of the store manager's wanted to know why he was feeling the meat,(Put your own joke here). Big Grin Big Grin And I still had no card Frown Frown

____________________
The early bird catches the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.
 
Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I went through about 50 packs at walmart and did not find one. then went to a local grocery store and the first ten that I went through I found one. you can tell which one has the card when you feel them up. hope others are able to find them as well!
 
Posts: 20 | Location: CLEARWATER,FL | Registered: April 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
Just curious, but when someone tells folks how to cherry pick a wax box, that thread is automatically shutdown. How is this any different?
 
Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I don't see this as cherry picking, as in going through a box and then dumping the rest on ebay or something.

People are just sharing their experience trying to find a card. You'd be nuts to actually buy a hundred + packages of lunch meat. And I don't feel guilty for "cherry picking" since the odds are ridiculous.

BTW, my wife went through 25 or so at a store I already checked. She found them in a different location. Again, still no luck.

____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
I don't see this as cherry picking, as in going through a box and then dumping the rest on ebay or something.

People are just sharing their experience trying to find a card. You'd be nuts to actually buy a hundred + packages of lunch meat. And I don't feel guilty for "cherry picking" since the odds are ridiculous.

BTW, my wife went through 25 or so at a store I already checked. She found them in a different location. Again, still no luck.

Well I do see where you're coming from about pulling a pack and then selling the rest on ebay.
I guess my next question is how what you and others are doing is any different than those who go into Target or Walmart and rifle through the packs looking for the extremely high odds cards.
 
Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Ordinarily, I don't care for the practice of cherry picking, but this ain't that, and here's why.

The VAST majority of these cards will go directly into the trash once people find them in the packs of lunch meat that in very few cases were purchased for the chance at finding a card. At least some of the meat bags will also go unsold and be returned to the distributor. Any cards in those will almost certainly be destroyed.

Therefore, the more of them that are saved, i.e. purchased by people who know what they have, and that it is collectible, the more of these cards will remain in existence for collectors (like me) thus far unable to find one.

With the "cherry picking" of actual card packs, that's a totally different story. When you successfully cherry pick packs, you are leaving behind packs of cards that are being bought by card collectors ostensibly hoping to luck in to finding what you have already found using treachery. The end result is the pack buyer buying packs from a cherry picked box is not getting what he/she paid for, that is, a full chance at whatever hits were in the box in the first place.

With the meat, were "cherry pickers" to even find and purchase every packet with a card, there would still be millions of packages of lunch meat sold to people who will receive the full measure of their intended purchase, that is, something for their sandwiches.

I hope everyone who reads this board will go to their local stores that carry this product and find as many of the cards as possible, before they are gone for good. Only a very small fraction of the 100,000 will ever enter the collector market, and again, the more that make it there, the better chance I'll have at getting one.

Frankly, being a vegetarian, I'd prefer to not buy this kind of product at all (although my dog and cats would be happy as none of them are vegetarians which is strange as I've taken the time to explain to them why they should be!).

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 2949 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Very well said.

I googled the Captain America and Iron Man II card and requested here a pic.

All I can find is the Avengers.

Pretty sure most went into the trash. What a waste.

____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I searched about 35 - 50 packs of meat last night. No luck.

These cards do not show up very often on Ebay or anywhere else during and after the promotion. Like it was said, I am sure most found cards are thrown in the trash or handed to a youngster who does not care about cards and probably is destroyed.

I did not even know abbout the Iron Man II card. Somehow I missed that one totally. I do have the Captain America card. I did not find it in a package of meat though (I tried - never could find one), but on Ebay. I have only seen 2 auctions for the Captain America card. I won one and a collecting friend won the other. I guess no one else was looking for the card at the time, I got it for 99 cents. Maybe my collecting friend who scans everything will post a scan of the Captain America card....

I do see someone trying to sell The Avengers one on Ebay. The price is something like $99.

Happy searching..... Gotta find more meat packages to squeeze... Smile

Mike.
 
Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I sent in for 25 game piece requests hoping I would get one with a card but no such luck, just 25 game pieces to enter for the sweepstakes. I also have had no luck finding these in stores by me, Land O'Frost products are hard to find at all.

____________________
"The problem, I'm told, is more than medical."
 
Posts: 5666 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miket999:
I searched about 35 - 50 packs of meat last night. No luck.

These cards do not show up very often on Ebay or anywhere else during and after the promotion. Like it was said, I am sure most found cards are thrown in the trash or handed to a youngster who does not care about cards and probably is destroyed.

I did not even know abbout the Iron Man II card. Somehow I missed that one totally. I do have the Captain America card. I did not find it in a package of meat though (I tried - never could find one), but on Ebay. I have only seen 2 auctions for the Captain America card. I won one and a collecting friend won the other. I guess no one else was looking for the card at the time, I got it for 99 cents. Maybe my collecting friend who scans everything will post a scan of the Captain America card....

I do see someone trying to sell The Avengers one on Ebay. The price is something like $99.

Happy searching..... Gotta find more meat packages to squeeze... Smile

Mike.

 
Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Artist
posted Hide Post
I have an extra Avengers card. Any one care to trade one Captain America card for my Avengers card? LMK.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Artist,
 
Posts: 224 | Location: South of the border, TX, USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I sent in for 25 game piece requests hoping I would get one with a card but no such luck, just 25 game pieces to enter for the sweepstakes. I also have had no luck finding these in stores by me, Land O'Frost products are hard to find at all.


That was the first thing I thought of, Batman, as I would prefer to get a card that way as opposed to buying even one package of meat, but before I did that, I read the contest rules and it said that ALL of the cards were distributed in the product itself, meaning there'd be none to distribute by mail, unusual since companies offering these kinds of premiums often hold some back to distribute via second-chance mail in offers.

By the way, the Captain America card that was posted looks terrific and I'll bet that Iron Man card is pretty sharp, too. Given the long odds of (and limited window for) finding each card, its probably only a very select group that can boast having all three of them.

Finally, I have to say, I'd never even heard of "Land O' Frost", so this is some good advertising for them, especially if someone's is actually able to get $99 for one of the cards!

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 2949 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Ordinarily, I don't care for the practice of cherry picking, but this ain't that, and here's why.

The VAST majority of these cards will go directly into the trash once people find them in the packs of lunch meat that in very few cases were purchased for the chance at finding a card. At least some of the meat bags will also go unsold and be returned to the distributor. Any cards in those will almost certainly be destroyed.

Therefore, the more of them that are saved, i.e. purchased by people who know what they have, and that it is collectible, the more of these cards will remain in existence for collectors (like me) thus far unable to find one.

With the "cherry picking" of actual card packs, that's a totally different story. When you successfully cherry pick packs, you are leaving behind packs of cards that are being bought by card collectors ostensibly hoping to luck in to finding what you have already found using treachery. The end result is the pack buyer buying packs from a cherry picked box is not getting what he/she paid for, that is, a full chance at whatever hits were in the box in the first place.

With the meat, were "cherry pickers" to even find and purchase every packet with a card, there would still be millions of packages of lunch meat sold to people who will receive the full measure of their intended purchase, that is, something for their sandwiches.

I hope everyone who reads this board will go to their local stores that carry this product and find as many of the cards as possible, before they are gone for good. Only a very small fraction of the 100,000 will ever enter the collector market, and again, the more that make it there, the better chance I'll have at getting one.

Frankly, being a vegetarian, I'd prefer to not buy this kind of product at all (although my dog and cats would be happy as none of them are vegetarians which is strange as I've taken the time to explain to them why they should be!).

Instead of taking the time to write seven paragraphs on how this differs from cherry picking packs,(which there really isn't any difference) you could have just written, "The ends justifies the means."

I love how you say individuals who cherry pick packs are using treachery, but what you're doing is different. Isn't someone who goes into a store looking for a chance at these premiums getting shafted if someone like yourself has already rifled through the packs of meat?
 
Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Regular card pack searching IS treacherous AND dishonest, we should all be clear on that. Anyone who doesn't think so, or claims it to not be a widespread problem, likely engages in it themselves.

But in regard to this discussion, once again, pack searching is not even remotely related to what is going on here. Pack searching is done with packs of cards and it renders those packs useless to other collectors looking for hits the honest way, and the worst thing is, buyers of packs after the pack searchers have hit don't even know they have already lost before the wrappers hit the floor.

The $5 bags of meat, on the other hand, remain what they are, whether they hold a card in them or not, and it is fair to say the nearly 100% of those who ultimately purchase them are getting exactly what they are paying for. Meat for sandwiches.

As for people going into stores looking for this Avengers card, I would say this board in particular (and perhaps others like it) is responsible for virtually all who are doing so. How would anyone else had even found out about this cards existence if not for the original poster of this thread? I certainly would not have. I never heard of the previous Captain America or Iron Man cards offered by Land o'
Frost or the the Land o' Frost company for that matter. If I had, I'd have surely tried to find the previous cards the same way, and maybe if I and some others had success in doing so, there'd at least be a few of them out there for other collectors instead of the amount there currently seems to be. The answer to exactly how many of the Iron Man or Cap cards that can seemingly be found for sale or trade presently occurs in the form of a perfect circle.

Millions of packs of this meat will be sold. Millions of those people buying them do not collect or care about cards and will throw away the one (they don't realize how lucky they were to find) along with the rest of the useless packaging once the meat has been eaten.

I am once again calling on collectors to "save" as many of these cards as possible, and they can having now been armed with the useful information that will also prevent themselves from buying $500 worth (by the odds) of sandwich meat to find one card.

The dissemination of this kind of information, far from being the kind that enables "hot pack" sellers to engage in their despicable activity, is merely another feather in the cap of the NSU board which continues to provide vital information to its readers on a regular basis.

Finally, Arvin (if that is your real name and not an "alias" Big Grin), I thank you for noticing how many paragraphs I used in my last post. I did graduate with high honors from the Frazidillo School of Seven Paragraph Arguments at Coney Island University, and we alumni enjoy being recognized. I could tell you what a wonderful school it is and why you should attend it, but I'd need seven more paragraphs to do so.

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 2949 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Who out there found a Ironman card in land o frost lunch meat? As far as I know they have only done captain america. I keep up with there facebook and there website and have never seen anything about a Ironman card.
 
Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
miket999 wanted me to post this image. Land O Frost also had a set of Monsters vs Aliens cards in the lunch meat pack in the past.

 
Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I still can't find anything about Iron Man 2, but I found this for Iron Man.


____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
BTW, it's not exactly cherry picking, because everyone can feel the package and know what they're getting before purchasing. Something you can't do with packs of cards. My local comic shop shuffles packs so no one can cherry pick. Thumb Up

____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This has been a great promotion for me because I actually use Land o Frost. Unfortunately not the shaved meat so I mised Iron Man And Monsters VS Aliens. FYI they also did a 5 card Stuart Little 2 five card promotion.
Since my post started the debate let me say that I gave the easiest way to find the card. As the back of the packs are clear the cellophane packs are readily visible. As the game pieces are on flimsy paper they conform to shape of the meat so that in at least 95% of the cases it's apparent whether there's a card or not. If you consider using the eyes the good Lord gave as pack searching sorry
 
Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
That store that I went through about 100 packages looked like it had re-stocked. I wondered if it would be with my time to look again. Second package had one! Went though about 10 or so more, and hit 20 or so at another store.

____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013