Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Releases (not card related)    Universal 100th Anniversary Collector Card Walmart exclusives
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Universal 100th Anniversary Collector Card Walmart exclusives
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
The last two to complete the list of 25 are The Bride of Frankenstein and The Bourne Identity. Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Batman, here is the complete 25 card checklist:

AMERICAN PIE (Cast)
ANIMAL HOUSE (Belushi as Bluto)
APOLLO 13
BABE
BACK TO THE FUTURE (Michael J. Fox)
THE BIG LEBOWSKI
THE BIRDS (Tippi Hedren)
THE BLUES BROTHERS
THE BOURNE IDENTITY
THE BREAKFAST CLUB (Cast)
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
DESPICABLE ME
DRACULA (Lugosi)
E.T.
FAST AND THE FURIOUS (Cast)
FIELD OF DREAMS (Costner)
FRANKENSTEIN (Karloff)
JAWS
JURASSIC PARK
MAMMA MIA (Amanda Seyfried)
PSYCHO (Janet Leigh in shower)
SPARTACUS (Kirk Douglas)
THE STING (Newman and Redford)
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (Gregory Peck)
THE WOLFMAN (Lon Chaney, Jr.)

So it turns out the fellow with the gun was Matt Damon in "The Bourne Identity".

Good news for me, I only need three cards to complete my own personal set (of 8):
Bride of Frankenstein, Breakfast Club, and Dracula, although I might pick up Jaws if I get a chance, and possibly one more for an even 10. Hope I get a crack at some of the others, but if not, I'm happy with the ones I've got.

Thanks again to the original poster, Versicolor, for the tip on these. I likely would have missed them entirely.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Just curious, what is everyone doing with the movies?

I have searched the local Walmarts here on Long Island, and I have had no luck finding these yet. Does anyone have an extra set?

Thanks

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was able to sell all 5 movies I bought for pretty much what they cost me (Breakfast Club, Waterworld, Blues Brothers, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Inglourious Basterds), so the 5 cards that came with those ended up costing me only about a dollar or two each.

I hope to pick up 5 more or so and do the same, but it might not be possible for me if our 2 Walmarts don't get any more sets with the cards.

It will be very hard to find anyone who has complete sets of these, unless they have a connection at the source. Most people who go to the trouble of making a set are likely going to keep it for themselves, and were someone to assemble one expressly for the purpose of selling it, I imagine the asking price would have to be pretty steep to make it worth their doing so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I have been bringing the DVD's to work and giving them away unless it was one I wanted to watch. I found most of my cards so far in Florida, they had 40-50 of the DVD's at the store I visited, but I have only found a handful here at home visiting numerous stores, but I suspect they will show up in greater numbers soon.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
They are in Best Buy near me!!

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So these are not Wal-Mart exclusives? Have not had any luck finding these in my area.

quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
They are in Best Buy near me!!

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the ones at Best Buy would have a sticker on them indicating they were a "Only at WalMart" with the WalMart logo like the ones at WalMart do.

Does the sticker on the Best Buy ones thst indicate the card is inside say "Only at Best Buy" with the Best Buy logo present? If so, maybe it's a different group of 25 cards made especially for that store.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hooray!
I finished my own mini-set (of 9) by picking up cards for Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, Breakfast Club, and Jaws. (Well, I didn't get them, but a relative a few cities over checked their Walmart for me and picked up the ones I needed, and today delivered them into my happy hands).

I'll scan and post Bride of Frankenstein and Jaws here tomorrow since they aren't yet shown in this thread. They are really sharp, especially the card of the Bride, maybe my favorite in the set.

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Finally found a decent selection at Wal-Mart in Freehold, down to one to complete the set of 25!

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Thats a great looking card but if there is only 1 of 25 randomly inserted in Blu-Rays i can't see any way of collecting the set.

I just love being right. Wave

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just love being right.

I think I have been cursed - the last card I need is - the Wolfman! Eek

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Very tricky us wolfies, we hide until the moon comes out.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the cards for "Jaws" and "Bride of Frankenstein", just a triumph of design on that one!

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have extras? I am looking for Bride of Frankenstein and the Wolfman. Thanks for the help in advance.
beamer

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They've released another wave of these Universal 100th Anniversary Slipcovered BluRay/DVD/Digital Combos, but this time they have no stickers on front indicating there is a card inside. It appears the titles that remain on WalMart shelves hold the remainder of these cards to be had.

In this new 2nd Wave, the slipcovered editions of such favorites as The Big Lebowski and The Sting are included with cover art matching their cards in the set. Of the 25 subjects on the cards, only so many have thus far been issued in the special packaging. They will likely release the Universal Monsters series (and maybe the Birds and Psycho) this fall, and E.T. and Back to the Future possibly at Christmas. All of those had cards in the series. The thing is, these slipcovers are also very nice, so I might be in for cheaper DVDs of the 4 monsters, E.T., Back to the Future, and maybe even a couple of others, even without the cards, just to get the slipcovers.

So anyway, anyone with a WalMart nearby, time is ticking on these, and the ones with cards will soon be gone. Here is a list of some of the titles that came with a card and may still be in stock at your local store.

BLUES BROTHERS
WATERWORLD
BREAKFAST CLUB
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
SEABISCUIT
FAST TIKES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
APOLLO 13

There were a couple more, but I'm drawing a blank. Just make sure you are at Walmart and there is a sticker on the front indicating there is a card inside. These will be the DVD/BluRay combos and not the regular DVD only, even though those have the same slipcover (and are only $7.50, so a bargain if a simple DVD copy of the film and the nice slipcover is all you need)

The best part is that you can choose which card you'd like as they are visible on the back of the DVD case through the shrinkwrap. Take a close look at the corners of each card, sometimes they are a little dinged from the packaging process. If your intention is to just keep the card and resell the rest, remove the shrinkwrap around the card carefully. Often these are double shrinkwrapped, so in many cases you can remove the outer shrinkwrap that holds the card to the DVD case, leaving the DVD case itself still factory sealed. They also slide in and out of the slipcover with no tape as issued, so the item remains as new, great for the purposes of re-selling or gifting. (If you are set up for it, these are currently fast sellers at about $13 if you offer free shipping, so you can, in effect, get the cards you've selected for about $3 per card selling them that way.)

There are some very popular titles in the slipcover series that alas, didn't get cards in the set. I was hoping another 25 cards would be issued with the next wave, but it seems that wasn't to be. I bought the American Grafitti on DVD just to get the slipcover as there was no Combo edition made of that one. That was one of the titles I was really hoping they made a card for in the 2nd series, it would've been of the wonderful illustrated poster art from what remains one of favorite movies, all these years later. Who knows, maybe they'll do another batch cards with a future wave, fingers crossed.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Does anyone still need any of these? My Walmart had a bunch the other day.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I still need the Wolfman to finish my set! Smile

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone still finding these? I only discovered them a couple of months ago, but still managed to get 23 of the 25 (should have been 24, but I passed on a Jurassic Park because the slip cover was torn up).

I still need the Jurassic Park and Bourne Identity cards to finish my set. If anyone has dupes of these two or can pick them up, let me know and we can work a deal. Thanks!

Also, I have scans of 21 of the cards here...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showp...=6466505&postcount=2

Posts: 1 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: November 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi all, I am a fan and collector of Jurassic Park. I do not need the entire set but if someone as the JP card I would be interested.

Please let me know anytime. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 9 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: August 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post