Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Releases (not card related)    Denny's: "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" [Gift cards]
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Denny's: "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" [Gift cards]
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted
Denny's is featuring another promotion for the second Hobbit film. I think it's safe to guess that they will likely promote "There and Back Again" next year as well.....

According to all the News Releases I have read online, there are no trading cards this time, but I know FOR A FACT that there are gift cards because they're mentioned in a coupon email I received. These gift cards are nowhere to be found online - no images and no references in the Press Releases. However, they ARE mentioned in my email and the tiny thumbnail picture that shows them makes it appear as though there are four to select from - Legolas, Bilbo, Gandalf, and Smaug's eye.

Here are some links:

The Huffington Post features a nice collection of large images of the food items, plus an image of the menu at the bottom of the article. Takes a while to load, though. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-menu_b_4227394.html

This is a PDF of the Denny's Press Release. http://www.dennys.com/files/me...ss_Release_FINAL.pdf

Happy hunting!
Geoff

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, I still do not have the gold cards from the last lot.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
I have run into an unexpected snag with this promotion. I went to THREE Denny’s this morning and none of them had the gift cards. They should have had them by now because the promotion started officially on Nov. 5th; however, the attendants at all three locations not only had no clue what I was talking about, 2 of the three of them thought I was mistaking these gift cards with last year’s trading cards. (I did score a menu – at least I got something without having to buy the food.)

So, it will be interesting to see if anyone else can figure out what has become of the cards! A quick check on that auction site reveals ONLY the menus, so something is wrong with this promotion for sure……

Geoff

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out this week, here in Rhode Island.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Alright guys, here's what I found out at my local Denny's, here in Warwick, RI today.

The cards will come out on Monday Oct. 18th. My Denny's is only getting one box, with the option to order more boxes, but it's corporate policy, this time around, that when people want them, they have to load a minimum of $25 onto the cards, nothing less.

And it is confirmed...there are four of them. So, that's $100 folks. I don't think I've dropped $100 in a decade at Denny's. Good luck.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
Freddy is correct with his description..…except for maybe the date…. Here is my story:

I finally saw the gift cards for myself – they are magnificent. Each card is produced with a high quality chrome finish, much like the quality of the Chrome cards that Topps has graced us with on its Star Wars and Garbage Pail Kids series. Very nice, indeed.

The reason I couldn’t find them yesterday morning is because for some reason the rollout date differed from the promotion date. The promotion was supposed to start on November 5th, which it did, but managers were instructed to not offer the cards until the 12th, which is today. I was able to see them last night because I used enough of my charm with the manager to do so....

Now here’s the disappointing part: gift cards are usually sold with a minimum amount of $5, right? So, I was all prepared to drop $20 for the four cards thinking that the most I would have to spend at Denny’s was the equivalent of one meal. Nope. The managers have explicit instructions (I saw them – there was no mistaking what it said) to sell EACH card at a MINIMUM of $25!! That’s a total of $100!! Uh-unh....now WAY I am spending that much on a Denny’s menu!! Now if you guys are okay with it, all the power to you, but there isn’t much on the menu that supports a good health plan, so I have to say no way.

I thought about this more afterwards…..maybe I could just go to another Denny’s and hope that a server will sell them to me for $5 each and not notice the instructions. I can’t do that with a good conscience knowing that I could get an employee in trouble or even fired for making that mistake. Regardless of how I feel about the food, Denny’s employees are hard-working people and don’t deserve someone like me getting greedy with these cards. (The manager fumbled through the instructions for a good 5-10 minutes, so it's safe to assume that some Denny's employees may make the mistake of selling these with the wrong minimum amount.)

So, I had to sadly say NO to this promotion. Very disappointing because the cards are exceptionally well-designed!!! Let’s hope next year’s promotion offers something more affordable, such as the cards we saw last year.

Happy hunting....and safe EATING if you pursue this promotion,
Geoff

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
When this promotion has finished and nobody has spent $100 on four gift cards there is going to be thousands of these hitting ebay for whatever they can get for them.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Come next Monday, Oct. 18TH, I'll have a better idea what's going on with MY Denny's and these cards.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One other reason for the high minimum amount to be placed on gift cards is their "Turn $25 into $50" promotion. For every $25 you put on a gift card, you get a coupon book with $25 additional savings to use during January & February 2014.

My clergy group meets at Denny's each month. As treasurer of the group, I collect the money & pay the bill [which is usually over $100 each month]. Soooo, I turned cash into gift cards [before the meeting], got 4 coupon books, then used the gift cards to pay for the meal [after the meeting].

Finally something that worked in my favor!!!

Now if I can do this again at our December meeting, I can get a set for a friend for Christmas!

Thinking about it, our women's group goes out to eat for Christmas ... I wonder if I can steer them towards Denny's.

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The rev moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform. Smile

It sounds like you have this one sorted. Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I just called my local Denny's and they are out of this promotion. Frown