Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Releases (not card related)    Movie theater free promo items
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie theater free promo items
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Yeah, AMC always has posters.

Yesterday I saw UNBROKEN, which I liked but, alas, no posters. However today, when I went to see THE IMITATION GAME, which I also liked, they had these on the counter:

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I saw FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Thursday, and liked it. I was the only one in the theater! I saw FOXCATCHER Friday, and liked it. There were two whole people there, including me! Today I saw KINGSMAN, with more people, and absolutely loved it. 9.5 out of 10. Also, there were finally some new posters!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
You weren't the only one at that screening of "50 Shades", CA.
All of the other patrons were tied up under the seats.

(Also, nice posters. The woman on the poster with Will Smith is named Margot Robbie, best known from "Wolf of Wall St.", but she's just landed the Harley Quinn role in the "Suicide Squad" movie opposite the Joker, so her star is really on the rise.
Pretty cool how the later version of "Jupiter Ascending" is an illustrated version of the photo poster, but incorporating more elements. The movie didn't go over, but I'll reserve judgment until I see it. "Cloud Atlas" from the Wachowskis wasn't a hit, either, and that wss a very good movie.)

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I liked CLOUD ATLAS a lot better than JUPITER ASCENDING. JA was beautiful to look at, but it lacked that certain something that makes a more memorable movie. Go see KINGSMAN instead! I'm thinking of catching it a 2nd time.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Kingsman" is from a Mark Millar comic, which I have, but haven't read (add it to the stack of comics I can describe the same way). Millar is one of the best comic writers, and these days, especially, he tailors his comics towards possible movie adaptations after the twin successes of his "Wanted" and "Kick-***" (well, the first one, anyway) series. We'll definitely see that one, but we don't get to the movies very often anymore, so it'll be a couple of months. I'll try not to have what I'm told is a surprising ending spoiled for me in the meantime, so I'll not read the comics yet either, in case the endings are the same.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I won't say anything about the ending then, never fear!

I had no idea the same person wrote WANTED and KICK (absolutely silly *** censorship here. You can show cards depicting zombies ripping people's throats out but not a slang word for the human fundament. I don't get it! Makes no sense whatsoever. I guess gruesome violence is OK for the kiddies, but heaven forbid they hear or read a dirty word! (OK, that's out of my system)

I don't know about the comics but I seriously disliked the movie versions of WANTED and KICK Your Can. They both went against my principles, whatever those are.

Saw PROJECT ALMANAC today, and while I am sick and tired of the fake video-cam shot move style (as witness the horrible AS ABOVE, SO BELOW), this one was at least watchable and was well-written.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The comic of "Wanted" is much more Nihilistic than the movie. Pretty much all the characters are evil, and evil totally wins out at the end.
For the film, they softened the lead character (played by James McAvoy) quite a bit and the Angelina Jolie "Fox" character as well. It would be hard to imagine that comic in unaltered form as a big budget movie. It was simply too dark (though still comic) in tone for a mass audience.

Mark Millar also wrote a memorable run on "Swamp Thing" in the 1990's, so we may see still more of his work adapted, especially if the "Constantine" TV series continues. That would be an ideal way to introduce Swamp Thing to the new filmed DC Universe. Why, it would be kick *** !

Ok, ok, back to free Movie theater promo items...

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
No posters around during these movies: Project Almanac, Still Alice (very good), Focus, Chappie in I-Max, The Lazarus Effect, McFarland USA (really liked this one), or The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (very disappointing). But today when we saw Run All Night (pretty good, beats the horrible Taken 3 all up), they had this poster:

Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
My son-in-law told me that his AMC theatre was giving Stub members this Disney Cinderella pin: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/...dVA1pA/s-l1600/r.jpg

Also, at Regal Theatres, they were giving away Cinderella IMAX posters (if you went to an Imax showing). Too lazy to go upstairs to get my camera and currently do not see any auctions running for this poster. Good quality.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I saw the Cinderella Pins on the counter inside the ticket booth. I almost asked for one but didn't want to push it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Today I saw INSURGENT in 3D-IMAX and I enjoyed it very much. They had three different DIVERGENT posters (from last year I was informed), INSURGENT temporary tattoos and I even got a CINDERELLA pin (all I had to do was ask). Not a bad haul:

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Sunday I saw EX MACHINA and picked up this poster:

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
When I went to see The Age of Adaline (excellent movie and even though I guessed some major plot points WAY in advance I still really enjoyed it) today, they had this Mad Max Fury Road (saw it in 3D last week and LOVED it) poster:

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
When I went to see The Age of Adaline (excellent movie and even though I guessed some major plot points WAY in advance I still really enjoyed it) today, they had this Mad Max Fury Road (saw it in 3D last week and LOVED it) poster:

Thumb Up

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Saw Jurassic World in 3D today, which I liked. I absolutely did NOT like the other 3 Jurassic movies, which is weird because I usually like Spielberg's movies (he did not direct this one), and I picked up this poster.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw Jurassic World in 3D today, which I liked. I absolutely did NOT like the other 3 Jurassic movies, which is weird because I usually like Spielberg's movies (he did not direct this one), and I picked up this poster.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this. I can understand not liking the third one, it is pretty forgettable for me, but I love the first one.
What makes Jurassic World so good for you CardAddict? Definitely not trying to bag on you or anything, I haven't seen it yet.
I mainly asking, to know if I should go see it at the cinema or wait till it comes out on DVD/Bluray. Is it worth seeing on the big screen?

One other question, do the cgi dinosaurs look better in the movie than the trailers? Give me good old Puppets over bad cgi anyday, that is the biggest reason I'm put off seeing it, they look so fake in the trailer. That and trained Velociraptors. Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I always find it difficult to analyze why I liked or disliked a movie. The first JP had Laura Dern in it, and except for Blue Velvet and Inland Empire, she just turns me off. I also did not like the humorous ways people were being killed. The reasons most people complain about Spielberg which I generally disagree with seem to be present in the first 3 JP movies. Personally, I wish I had gone to the IMAX to see Jurassic World, but I thought it would be too crowded and opted for just REAL 3D instead. As far as waiting for home video, if you have a 60" or better screen and high resolution, I don't think waiting would be a problem.

By the way, I NEVER watch the darn trailers. I close my eyes and try to think of something else. They give too much away and I hate preconceptions of a movie before I go see it. Of course I did watch the trailer to Hot Tub Time Machine 2, which you'd have to pay ME to go see. Fool me once, etc.

Oops, I forgot to say I thought the dinosaurs looked pretty good.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie in 3D on Thursday. I liked that I had 3D glasses that were clip-ons. The 3D effect was outstanding. The theater passed out posters on the way out. The movie was very entertaining even though the story line did not change much.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting. I greatly enjoy Spielberg's work, but I also was very underwhelmed by the original Jurassic Park movies. The first one was so-so, and the second a retread of ideas that I felt were already worn out when they were used in the first one. I could never bring myself to even try the third one.

I likely will see "Jurassic World" though. I like Pratt, and the director, Trevorrow's, last (first) movie "Safety Not Guaranteed" was pretty good. Talk about raising the stakes with your second feature, only the highest opening in history (until "Star Wars" later this year, anyway) and the kind of reviews that will keep it playing. It's a good time to be a "Jurassic" fan, I think...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well Jurassic World just broke all the opening box office records, so no matter what anybody thinks, that will be all that matters. Big Grin

So even though it doesn't matter, it still looks pretty silly to me. That doesn't mean it's not entertaining though and I will probably see it sooner or later.

As for the other ones, I liked Jurassic Park when I first saw it, but the repeats not so much. I know what you mean with Laura Dern cardaddict, but it was also her bad chemistry with Sam Neill, coupled with those two annoying children. The dinosaurs were great.

The second movie had bad chemistry between Jeff Goldblum and Julianna Moore and one annoying kid. The third one had bad chemistry between William Macy and Tea Leone, plus Sam Neill as a bored hero. By that time even the dinosaurs weren't special, but I think the lost kid was almost grown. You can see how much I remember that last one.

Anyway watching the velaptors running with the motorcycle is cool, even if it is stupid, but there are again two kids in Jurassic World. How much you want to bet that they are annoying? Roll Eyes

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post