Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Releases (not card related)    Movie theater free promo items
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie theater free promo items
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, the original "Jurassic Park" holds a record that will never be broken, the sales of VHS videos, and that was in addition to the massive theatrical haul, so it remains an influential cash cow.

The original movie does maintain legions of devoted fans, but they will invariably have been about 14 or younger when they first saw it, and it was in part, that pandering to the youth audiences with the lame kid characters, is what for me, doesn't even allow me to consider the original as even a "good" movie, despite the groundbreaking special effects. Maybe I just needed to be 14 when I saw it instead of 22. I get that...

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
If I'm not mistaken, the original "Jurassic Park" holds a record that will never be broken, the sales of VHS videos, and that was in addition to the massive theatrical haul, so it remains an influential cash cow.

Not quite sure what you mean by that CPF. Is it just a joke because there are no VHS tapes anymore? Big Grin

Jurassic World broke the global record for single weekend sales at 511.8 million. It will continue to gross a fortune and by the time DVD sales kick in I would think it will bust any records for that total also.

Just like with sports records, it's really hard to compare numbers between things that exist in different decades. For money, they try to adjust for the dollar value and for the price of admission at the time, but it hardly works out. Box office for any modern hit movie kills the old movie records.

In fact, the only record I feel confident in saying will never be broken is Cal Ripken's 2632 consecutive game record. No baseball player will ever come close to that again.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
My analyses of all the above comments boils down to this - "Dinosaurs are neat!"

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
The first JP had Laura Dern in it, and except for Blue Velvet and Inland Empire, she just turns me off. As far as waiting for home video, if you have a 60" or better screen and high resolution, I don't think waiting would be a problem.

Interesting, because I sort of feel that way about Bryce Dallas Howard. She was good in The Village and The Help, but that's about it for me.
I don't have a big TV, so seeing it at the cinema maybe a good idea.

quote:
The original movie does maintain legions of devoted fans, but they will invariably have been about 14 or younger when they first saw it, and it was in part, that pandering to the youth audiences with the lame kid characters, is what for me, doesn't even allow me to consider the original as even a "good" movie, despite the groundbreaking special effects. Maybe I just needed to be 14 when I saw it instead of 22. I get that...

You know what is really funny, it was the two kid characters that I hated the most when I would watch it as a kid (I wasn't allowed to see it at the movies, I was way too young) my favourite characters were Dr. Grant and Muldoon, the guy who was in charge of the velociraptors.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:

Interesting, because I sort of feel that way about Bryce Dallas Howard. She was good in The Village and The Help, but that's about it for me.

I did not see The Help, but from what I have seen of BDH's other work, the only reason I can see why she made it to the movies was her father. Wink I have no idea why they would chose her for this mega-hit, but I guess they figured the real stars was the CGI.

Anyway, the biggest gag on the internet right now has to do with her running through the jungle in high heels for the whole film. Granted escaping from living dinosaurs is hardly meant to be realistic, but every woman knows that when you are running for your life you take off the stilettos, no matter how good they make your legs look. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
She really was a superb villain in "The Help". You have to see it just to find out how she gets the moniker "Two Slice Hilly".

Beyond that, she's also superb in the controversial "Manderlay", Lars Von Trier's followup to his controversial "Dogville". In it, she assumes the role Nicole Kidman played in the original. Those are not for everyone, but they are the definition of thought provoking. Did I mention they were controversial?

She's also in a pair of awful M. Night Shyamalan movies, but hey, that's hardly her fault. It wasn't the acting that ruined those.
I think she's been good in everything I've seen her in, but it'll be a while before I see "Jurassic World".

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So naturally The Village and Lady in the Water were ones I did see. I do blame Shyamalan and will never waste another minute on any more of his work. He had one great movie, two interesting but disappointing movies, and I regard the rest as utter garbage. I was going to start watching Waywood Pines until I found out that they were hiding his name in the credits. Big Grin

As for Von Trier, an acquired taste to say the least. Big actors want to work with him, I guess they think the art is worth the abuse. I'm not so sure. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I liked THE VILLAGE, fell asleep during LADY IN THE WATER and had no idea Howard was in any of them until I read this. I guess she didn't make an impression on me.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:
He had one great movie, two interesting but disappointing movies, and I regard the rest as utter garbage. I was going to start watching Waywood Pines until I found out that they were hiding his name in the credits. Big Grin
[QUOTE]

I'm with you just about 100% on your assessment of his films, but I do think "Unbreakable" is a very good movie, too, albeit no "6th Sense".

As for "Wayward Pines", I've seen them all so far, and intend to keep watching, so it's that good, at least. Night did mention that maybe he should adapt other people's works, so he's definitely aware of the (valid) criticism of every thing he's dones since "Signs".

There have been some very creepy moments on "Wayward Pines" and it has seemingly avoided the thing that tends to drag these kinds of shows down, teasing at the "mystery" too long without really giving any up about it. This one had some huge reveals last week, about midway through the season, although I suppose those revelations might be mere subterfuge of the real "truth" of things. I do know that this is based on a series of books, with this show adapting the first one, and it's fair to say that at least the first book is an eventual series must be pretty good, otherwise, there wouldn't have been demand for the follow-up books.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I liked THE VILLAGE, fell asleep during LADY IN THE WATER and had no idea Howard was in any of them until I read this. I guess she didn't make an impression on me.

Big Grin She played the leads in both. The blind girl in the Village and the Lady mermaid, or whatever the heck enchanted water nymph thingee she was supposed to be. I don't remember now what she was, but I was fast forwarding like crazy so I may have missed her precise description. It was the last M. Night film I ever saw, which at least saved me from seeing that devil in the elevator one or the Air Avatar. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I forgot all about that devil/elevator one! And he started out so well.

Today I saw Haley Joel Osment among others (you'll never recognize him), in ENTOURAGE. I loved the HBO cable show, but the movie fell totally flat for me. I did not like it. I grabbed one of these posters on the way in, intending to get a couple more on the way out, but they were all gone!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Today I saw TED 2, a pleasant little light-hearted romp about a talking teddy bear. I asked for and received an INSIDE OUT pin without even seeing the movie:

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I saw INSIDE OUT in 3D today, which I enjoyed very much, and picked up this TERMINATOR GENISYS poster:

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I saw ANT-MAN in 3D IMAX today and I thought it was great! They even had posters!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We saw "Jurassic World" and "Ted 2" a few weeks ago and got a different "Terminator" poster than the one shown above.

We saw "Ant-Man" and "Trainwreck" yesterday, and got a "Trainwreck" poster.

All were enjoyable, the endless "Jurassic World" plot-holes (big enough for an Indominus Rex to walk through sideways) notwithstanding.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I would like to see your TERMINATOR poster.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sure, as soon as I can photograph it (and some other stuff I need pictures of). Hopefully in a day or two.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:
He had one great movie, two interesting but disappointing movies, and I regard the rest as utter garbage. I was going to start watching Waywood Pines until I found out that they were hiding his name in the credits. Big Grin
[QUOTE]

I'm with you just about 100% on your assessment of his films, but I do think "Unbreakable" is a very good movie, too, albeit no "6th Sense".

As for "Wayward Pines", I've seen them all so far, and intend to keep watching, so it's that good, at least. Night did mention that maybe he should adapt other people's works, so he's definitely aware of the (valid) criticism of every thing he's dones since "Signs".

There have been some very creepy moments on "Wayward Pines" and it has seemingly avoided the thing that tends to drag these kinds of shows down, teasing at the "mystery" too long without really giving any up about it. This one had some huge reveals last week, about midway through the season, although I suppose those revelations might be mere subterfuge of the real "truth" of things. I do know that this is based on a series of books, with this show adapting the first one, and it's fair to say that at least the first book is an eventual series must be pretty good, otherwise, there wouldn't have been demand for the follow-up books.

WARNING: SPOILERS TO FOLLOW SO DON'T READ IF YOU HAVE NOT YET SEEN THE SERIES FINALE OF WAYWOOD PINES!!!

This is not the thread for this topic, but the conversation was here and I hate to start another thread for my one comment.

M. Night strikes again. That's it, he is a hack!

Because Waywood Pines had such good reviews, I read the recaps to catch up and figured I'd watch tonight's much anticipated finale. It was actually pretty good until the last ten minutes, when a much more reasonable, and dare I say happy ending was passed up for, what I guess was supposed to be the surprising twist. It ruined the entire story that led up to it, never mind that it completely dismissed the fates of a number of people that were central characters. Did they just run out of script? What about Pam and Kate and the mother, whatever her name was? I assume the Academy kids took over because they made it to some arc, but we didn't even see that.

I am so glad that I did not watch this entire series even though I can see where it was popular. I don't know what they will say about it now, but I would be livid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Uhhh, it's not on out here on the West Coast for almost another hour, Raven. It's just now getting dark...

Luckily, a fast scan of what you wrote allowed me to avoid reading it for purposes of avoiding spoilers, but I do look forward reading it AFTER I've seen the episode, haha...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry, in my haste to vent I completely forgot about that little thing known as time zones.

I added a big warning. It was not my intention to spoil anyone's viewing. I'll be more careful the next time for sure. Red Face