Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Releases (not card related)    New Harry Potter Chocolate Frog Cards
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Harry Potter Chocolate Frog Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists the 24 cards from the first series (Warner Bros., 2001). To provide a guide to what the cards look like across the various series, this is #5 from the first series (artwork fronts, black borders on the backs).

I should add that that this card comes from the first set released in the U.S.

quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
The first series came out several years ago, artwork is good, all cards are lenticular. This new set with 5 cards is first with photos, also lenticular.
I bought the first series at Bookstores, Borders and Barnes and Noble years ago. I recently saw the first series on sale at Barnes and Noble. At the 5 Below in my town, they sell the first series as well as the new ones. Price is$2.99 per pack, not bad to pay for an insert card. Candy is chocolate with rice krispie type cereal added, quite tasty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists the cards in the second set - just 12 cards. This is card #5 (artwork fronts, purple borders on the backs). For some reason the date wasn't marked on the cards in this set but that seems to be another way to know you have a card from the second set.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 doesn't list the third U.S. set so I assume that was released sometime after 2007. I have seen pentagonal-shaped cards that were included with other candy packages (from the UK?) and have read that cards were also inserted with candy in other countries (Japan, New Zealand, etc.) and at least one other limited edition set. Standard shaped cards were available in the U.S. again by 2017.

While writing this post, I looked around and saw a couple of cards from Japan dated 2004 with red backs and Japanese and English text.

What do the cards from the third U.S. look like and when were they released (cards dated?)?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was in a local World Market store today and was on my way out when I noticed a box of the Chocolate Frogs for sale. I hadn't seen any since late last year. They were $4.99 per pack at a candy store then but today they were just $3.99 each so I bought a pack and got a white-bordered "Merlin" card. It's from the 2020 set - marked "s20" on the back. The expiration date on the pack is for late next year so I ate the candy. Several hours later, I feel fine.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
How many cards are in this Chocolate Frogs set?

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There doesn't seem to be a list of the s20 cards online. I have these:

Garrick Ollivander
Godric Gryffindor
Hengist of Woodcroft
Merlin

quote:
Originally posted by stevetrek:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is also a Daisy Dodderidge s20
The Godric and Hengist I have are both s18

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
There doesn't seem to be a list of the s20 cards online. I have these:

Garrick Ollivander
Godric Gryffindor
Hengist of Woodcroft
Merlin

quote:

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a checklist of s20 cards I have or have seen plus Greg Geert's and Tommy C's additions:

Albus Dumbledore
Artemisia Lufkin
Bertie Bott
Daisy Dodderidge
Devlin Whitehorn
Garrick Ollivander
Gilderoy Lockhart
Godric Gryffindor
Helga Hufflepuff
Hengist of Woodcroft
Jocunda Sykes
Merlin
Rowena Ravenclaw
Salazar Slytherin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On your recent list, I also see several more

Gilderoy Lockhart
Jocunda Sykes
Artemisia Lufkin
Salazar Slytherin

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I tried to pick up more of these yesterday but they've sold out. There was most of box last month but then most of the packs were gone the next time I went.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
On your recent list, I also see several more

Gilderoy Lockhart
Jocunda Sykes
Artemisia Lufkin
Salazar Slytherin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to a local World Market to look for something and found more Chocolate Frogs. They weren't in their box - just loose in a basket near the registers. I bought one to see if it was a new series though the package looked the same. It had an "s20" card (Garrick Ollivander) but with a later expiration date (Jan 2024) than the last group of them bought over the summer.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Catskilleagle,

Do you have want/trade lists for these cards. If so, pm me.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Okay. I'll check what you have in the trade section too. You sent me some great stuff last time including some extra airport cards and Chocolate frog cards. Thanks again.

quote:
Catskilleagle,

Do you have want/trade lists for these cards. If so, pm me.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I picked some packs up at Five Below today. When I opened the package they were S20 cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I still have the wrapper to that last pack I bought. It says 2018 on it but the card is "s20."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was in a local Barnes & Noble yesterday and they had packs of the cards by the cafe inside. They weren't priced so I asked the barista to check it...$5.25. That's the most I've seen any place try to get for them.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

.$5.25. That's the most I've seen any place try to get for them.

Perhaps they have noticed people only seem to buy them in order to put them straight on ebay at loopy prices and thought might aswell have some of this.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A few days ago, I saw packs for $5.95 at a candy store in a local mall. That's now the most I've seen them offered for. The store also had some other kind of candy with a map inserted.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Last week, I noticed a few packs of these at a local grocery store for just $3.59 per pack. I bought one and got "Devlin Whitehorn," which is one I didn't already have.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Today, I stopped at that grocery store that had the $3.59 packs on my way to my brother's place. The packs were actually on clearance for $1.79 each (the cheapest I've ever seen them at) so I bought the last two in the box. I gave one to my niece. She got the Devlin card and I got "Daisy Dodderidge."