Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Releases (not card related)    "Endangered Species": Chocolate Candy Bars (wrappers)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Endangered Species": Chocolate Candy Bars (wrappers)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted
Quite simply, these are expensive organic chocolate candy bars with collectible wrappers, which I think are very nice – in part because they are so educational.

I found them in the candy aisle of the Harmon’s grocery chain (Utah only), which means you are only likely to find these at other grocery chains like Safeway, Albertson’s, or another state-specific chain. But here’s the catch – these candy bars are ORGANIC, so they will be very hard to find and likely very hit ‘n’ miss.

You see, the website has a store locator for their products, and when I did a search with a very wide berth (100 miles), nothing came up – even though the store I bought these from is 1 mile away from my home!! Plus, the website claims that these bars can only be purchased online or at other “natural food stores across the U.S. and Canada”, so how they define a “natural food store” is obviously very subjective since Harmon’s is just like Wal-Mart in that they will sell both kinds of grocery products – organic and non-organic. Good luck finding these!!!

These wrappers are specific to the flavor. In other words…..like in the images I featured here, the “Dark Chocolate” wrapper (The Sea Turtle) will feature a different animal than the “Extreme Dark Chocolate” wrapper (The Black Panther). The back side of each wrapper features a short essay about the animal and miscellaneous info about organic products, social responsibility, and how to contribute to the cause of saving our environment.

The glossy paper wrappers are nice quality and very easy to open and preserve. The candy bars run about $2-3 a price, so these two bars were a $5.00+ purchase. This may be worth collecting over a long period of time, but not immediately. From the number of choices I saw, the whole collection could cost over $30….notwithstanding the cost to your HEALTH (remember, being organic, these products should NOT be refrigerated so you can’t put off eating them for a long time). So, if you go after these – I recommend you buy just one or two at the most and have them as a treat with your significant other, child, buddy, parent, neighbor, co-worker, secret love interest….whatever. Then, buy another flavor some other day. These don’t appear to be limited time products, so take your time.

Happy hunting!

Geoff

Here is the website for the candy bars:

http://chocolatebar.com/index.php

Here are some links to more random images I found on Bing’s search engine related to this product:

http://i74.photobucket.com/alb...so/IMG_6101_crop.jpg
http://s2.thisnext.com/media/l...mension/FB0DB90D.jpg
http://candyaddict.com/blog/ca...rk_chocolate_box.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com...844_7bf595ffcb_z.jpg

Here are images I made of MY purchases. Each image has a link underneath to a HI-REZ version. The first image shows how the warpper compares to another unopened candy bar. The next two images show the front and back of one, opened wrapper.

HI-REZ

HI-REZ

HI-REZ

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Pretty nice wrappers. We have an trendy-organic store over here in RI called "Trader Joes"....I'll have to pop in there one day and check it out.
Thanks.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Who says you can't have your collectible wrapper and eat what's inside it too?

Those look very interesting and I like the photos of the endangered animals, the poor things. Too bad we're wiping out so many species.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
There used to be a series of mini cards in Environmints years back. Little square chocolates.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
This company is based out of Indianapolis where I live. They also make the product called "Bug Bites" that have the small cards like the Environmints candy did. Really nice looking wrappers for sure.

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is there a list of the small cards available from the "Bug Bites"?

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long to get this posted. I just moved and took me a while to figure out which boxes these little treasures were in. But here is what I have, just missing #23.

01- GREEN DARNER DRAGONFLY
02- RED SKIMMER DRAGONFLY
03- DRAGONFLY NAIAD
04- GOLDEN EMPEROR MOTH
05- UNDERWING MOTH
06- MANTIS-MIMIC MOTH
07- EPIPLIMA MOTH
08- GREEN SNOUT MOTH
09- GEOMETRID MOTH
10- HOOK-TIP MOTH
11- LOOPER MOTH
12- BOMBICID MOTH
13- WASP-MIMIC MOTH
14- GRASS MOTH
15- HOOK-TIP MOTH
16- SWALLOWTAIL BUTTERFLY
17- NYMPHALID BUTTERFLY
18- DEATH'S HEAD HAWK MOTH
19- LEAF HAWK MOTH
20- SILK MOTH ANTENNAE
21- LEAF MIMIC MOTH
22- TORTICID MOTH
23- ???????
24- SMALL MAGPIE MOTH
25- MOTH
26- MOTH
27- MOTH
28- BAORISA MOTH
29- NOCTUIDAE
30- MOTH
31- WEEVIL BEETLE
32- WEEVIL BEETLE
33- WEEVIL BEETLE
34- GOLDSMITH BEETLE
35- LEAF BEETLE
36- FUNGUS BEETLE
37- DIVING BEETLE
38- STAG BEETLE
39- LANTERN BUG
40- CICADA
41- LANTERN BUG
42- STINK BUG NYMPH
43- STINK BUGS MATING
44- PAPER WASP
45- WILD HONEY BEE COMB
46- WEAVER ANTS
47- MILLIPEDE
48- GREEN DARNER EYES
49- RED SKIMMER EYES
50- TIGER MOSQUITO

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I bought a box for my wife for Christmas & we have not eatten through it yet.

I do have an extra #23 Arctiid Moth. If you would like it, send me your address. I'll be heading to the post office on Monday.

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer. Email sent!! Have a great day and let me know what you need when you finish eating the chocolate as I have tons of singles.

Again thanks-
Cecil

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Hey Revjay, did you get my email concerning your generous offer of the card I need?