Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Suggestions & Requests    Creating a Card Talk group
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creating a Card Talk group
 Login/Join

Picture of Martine
posted
I was just reading Patonyfan's message under General Card Discussion, and it made me think of something.

Since Card Talk's rules prohibit members to advertise personal auctions unless they do it under the advertisement section, how about creating a group (for example on Yahoo) where individual Card Talk members could do so?

This would in no way be meant to compete with Card Talk's advertising section, but would just be a way for individual collectors to let other CT members know that they have cards on auction.

Membership could be restricted to individual, registered CT members (somewhat like the trading section here), and not open to dealers, unless they auction off their own collection - which is the way it would not compete with CT's income from dealers' advertisement.

Harris, would this be possible under CT rules? Everyone, what do you think?

Wave

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
actually once upon a time there was such a group but i can't remember to much Confused

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
I do have a group on Yahoo for Cards. It's called WB Television Trading Cards. You're more than welcome to use it.

Jewel Big Grin

hippiejewel@yahoo.com

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Here's the address. All are more than welcome.

Jewel Big Grin

link removed, see message below by stcardgeek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STCardGeek,

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of gilgle
posted Hide Post
thanks for letting us know.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My MSN group is:
-- edited by stcardgeek, see message below.
Thanks -- Chris Big Grin

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
My pleasure.

Jewel Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
There's another which has been going for quite a while now that has a number of familiar usernames in it's member list Smile
The guy who owns it/created it is a rare poster in here.

I already have a couple of my own (card-related and non-card-related. At least my dragon group is going good Razz Obviously no-one has found, or is interested in my card ones, they're just an extension of my website.

IMO there's no need for a group where we could post about our auctions. I know many members here are members of various other Yahoo groups where that's all members do - post "Look at my auctions" ads.
Then there are the Google forums where the same thing happens daily. *shrugs* JMO

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
trimmed a bit to remove quote with link

quote:
My MSN group is http://groups.msn.com/ChRiSCollectionofBuffy

quote:
Q. What about other card collecting message boards,lists or card collecting publications? Can I link to those?
While we appreciate that there are many homes for card collectors on the internet, this one belongs to NSU, so please don't post specifically to point out other venues. For one, it's advertising, which isn't allowed, and second, it tends to create conflict, which we want to avoid. We want this board to remain a safe and enjoyable place. :-)

Posts: 2199 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, thanks for doing the legwork for me Wink It's stil early and I'm not quite awake yet.
Harris and I were chatting about how best to handle this as we don't wanna seem like mean old modies and yet surely ya'll can see the irony in talking about creating a group to do the things which aren't allowed here whilst one is on the boards that that particular thing isn't allowed?? If what you wanted to created was sanctioned, we'd allow it here and there'd be no need for an offsite board Smile It'd be like going to the police office and talk about where one can go to grow weed since they don't let ya Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I know I have said this before but one of the reasons why we started Card Talk was so that there would be a place were collectors could "talk." The non-sport newsgroup used to be that, along with some selling (this is pre-eBay) and it was really nice. But after a while, it began to become all sales and auction touting with the occasional discussion thread. That's pretty much how it is today as well.

If we allowed eBay auction posts, it would be all that and little else. Pretty much like Star posted above.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of patonyfan
posted Hide Post
So you are saying that if there was a forum to post that CT users were posting auctions that thats all this site would turn too?? Confused

This site has way to many other things going for something like that to hinder it. If it would be set as a forum itself say under the Card Trading section that way it would in itself be its own entity and not overflow into other forums. Also seems moderators do enough moderating already so i am sure it wouldn't be a problem to oversee that there isn't any overflow into other categories.

Now as for pointing out other forums as advertising. Would you not have to stop links to peoples own personal sites? No most are not discussion forums but most if not all will have links to cards available and some of those will be for sale....is that not advertising??

Now, no i am not sore that i couldn't let CT members know about my auctions, i still did well on my auctions. I just would have liked to see the cards go into CT members collections where i know they would have been enjoyed.

Oh well enough written, but just my $.20 worth

Mike

Posts: 907 | Location: Bloomsburg, PA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the feedback, everyone. I understand the various points of view offered here, and I hope I didn't cause Harris and the mods too many headaches due to the nature of the topic. If I did, sorry, it was not my intention and you can Twak me. Not too much or too hard, though Wink

Later!

Wave

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post