Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larger Avatars?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just did with yours.
I would like the sixe to increase to about 200 x 200.

They would all look better.
Chris Big Grin

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that - mine is affected on some posts, but not on others. Some Avatars (which use larger pictures) are showing up as full size, which does throw the post display out a bit - I'm all for larger avatars, but perhaps there should be an upper limit (200x200 sounds about right!)
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of prophecygirl
posted Hide Post
I just noticed this too. Boggle's avatar of Willow turned into a huge picture!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 1997-2003

Posts: 1489 | Location: Stockport, UK | Registered: August 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Oddly, Kenny's avatar started out big when I first came to the page ,but while sitting here reading posts, it has reversed to it's normal small size.
Being on dial up, I'd be *against* (for want of a better word), larger images, pages load slow enough as it is Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
i didn't expect Willow to jump out at me like that Eek

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Oddly, Kenny's avatar started out big when I first came to the page ,but while sitting here reading posts, it has reversed to it's normal small size.
Being on dial up, I'd be *against* (for want of a better word), larger images, pages load slow enough as it is Wink

I think I just found the trick. Do they seem back to the way they used to be now?

Oh, and I don't think making them display smaller will do anything to load times since you still have to load the image no matter how large or small it displays. No?

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
I'd like to see larger avatars. But I wouldn't want to eat into the bandwidth by doing so.

Well, I could be wrong (and I hope someone will correct me if I am) but I think the only avatars that would eat into NSU's bandwidth are the ones that we host. This is a considerable amount of them, though. Any custom avatars that are in use (i.e. Paul's artwork for example) would eat into their bandwidth usage. This wouldn't be that big of a deal for each individual person as all the usage would get spread out over many people. But the extra bandwidth for the NSU ones would be pretty high for us.

Does that make any sense?

Oh, and the other issue would be that the avatars that we host and offer are set at the 48 x 48 size. So if we would go to a larger size, we'd either end up with different size avatars or stretch out ones for the Infopop ones, which looks ugly. Eek

By the way, I am not a fan of nonstandard sized avatars on forums. I think it looks very sloppy and amateurish.

There, have I rambled on about this long enough. Big Grin Anyone else have any other ideas on this?

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
)

It,s the cold weather causes that. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfman-golf:
quote:
)

badbadbad wolfie Twak

but unfortunately true Frown

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10450 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfman-golf:
quote:
)

bad wolfie Twak
funny as heck Big Grin
but bad Twak

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of gilgle
posted Hide Post
I don't think that we need huge avatars. I think they look fine the way they are. Not like people takes that close of a look at them anyways.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Well, not to appear dreadfully dull next to Wolfie, but I imagine Kenny's is larger but only displays at 48because it's told to by the BB commands? Where, for example, mine is 48 at it's normal size. THe images may be loading in before the table/column size is set or until the code for the avatar dispaly size is set, so that by the time the page is done loading, it now has the command for the *proper* 48 size, so it shrinks back down?

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post