Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Suggestions & Requests    Card giveaway space- non promo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card giveaway space- non promo
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted
Komodo walks in, and looks around.

"Hi- anybody here? This kinda reminds me of the patent office..."

Seriously, though, I had a stray thought go through my head, as they are often wont to do, but this one seemed pretty good, so I let it simmer a bit to see if anything came of it. As such things are often also wont to do, all it seemed to do is sit there with nary a bubble. Even so, it still seems like a good idea, so I'll float it through here and maybe some good may come from it.

So, here goes. It is little more than an embryo, but I really think it has the chance of growing into something wonderful.

Now & then someone mentions how many extra cards they have, regular singles, mostly. I also know how annoying it is to have a want list full of singles which seem almost impossible to finish off. Many of the lists I see in the Card Trading section are rather hobbled by this effect. What if we had something here similar to the Card Trading section, but instead of cards for trade, people could post a list of base cards they're looking for, in hopes of someone sending some via SASE? Or perhaps a couple options could be available, but that seems to be easiest.

Anyway, that's the basis of it- I really think it's a nice idea, and it's a way to get basic cards to those who can't seem to trade or buy, otherwise. And it's a chance for some to unload a bunch of singles that have accumulated over the years.

Go ahead, kick it around a bit, squash it like a bug, or perhaps if it's worthy, give it a little nudge and see what happens Smile

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Now that I think of it, promos and wrappers would qualify, too. Maybe even some inserts, if they were plentiful. Heck, why even put a limit on it LOL.

Just random thoughts...

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Silly question, but what makes this different than either the trading section or the set building section.

There is nothing stopping anyone from posting cards available for a SASE.

The set building section is horribly under used and could use some new life if this idea catches on.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
I actually considered posting for SASE there, to give cards away, but it just seems like the wrong place to ask. If there was a place where I could ask for singles or wrappers, I would be more comfortable doing that than in the trading section.

About the set building section, I've looked at it, but I don't understand the concept...

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
This is a great idea, I always have singles everywhere. In fact, I have donated so many cards to the boys and girls club and to the local hospitals they are not accepting them anymore at this time.
If Harris approves it I would make a box or two or three up at some point in time.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna post a special thread for this in the Trading section soon, but I'll run it by Harris first just to be safe

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Boldlygone
posted Hide Post
Great idea Komodo. I have been trying to get a handful of base cards for the Bond Connosoiur collection for nearly a decade

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If faced with a difficult choice/decision, Remember this - WWKD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give up - NEVER surrender

Posts: 4214 | Location: Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think the set building forum is set up for trades. This is for giving cards away for free.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
I don't see the difference Wolfie. If you have singles, you post it. If they're free you just don't ask for anything in return.

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I can see what you are saying and i'm all for it. I just think that nobody ever thought that the cards that were being put in the set building forum were in any way going to be given away for free, i certainly never heard anyone even suggest that.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Well I don't think that the cards that are currently in there are being given away for free. I think we're just suggesting another use for that forum rather than creating yet another section. People looking for single cards already go there, this will just give people who have tons of extras a place to put them.

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Right on the money OWM Smile Like I said, I got the idea after seeing a few of us saying they had more cards than they know what to do with. I myself have had a number for a while, which I'd like to see someone who wants them to have them. In case you missed it, look for the post in the Card Trading section HERE

I didn't think the idea of giving away cards could cause any kind of trouble- I hope it's just a misunderstanding...

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hello Komodo

I can use 1 each wrapper of:
Star Trek - Nemesis (2002)
Star Trek - Deep Space Nine (1993)

Do you still need:

Alien vs. predator Promo P2
My email is in my profile.

Posts: 569 | Location: Killeen, Tx, USA | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Reply sent!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
I'm always needing single cards for my sets, the only problem is that a lot of the cards I need are not offered. Metal And if anyone has extras, I give them to a group home (Wrestling cards, TV, Movie, Comics etc...) The guys there really enjoy them.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post