Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum for artists
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted
I think it might be a good idea to add a forum for artists to post work. Under the Off-topic section along with the General Entertainment and Chatter Forums would be a good place. As it is, there are artist threads in the General Card Discussion and the News & Rumors Forums. Most people seem to enjoy seeing the art but it doesn't really fit in either category.

Chris H

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
Great idea Chris! I enjoy looking at the works of the other artists and also I would feel less guilty about posting my own art if there was a specific forum for it.

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
I agree with a seperate forum and sent the idea up a few days ago. I think it would be good to have it seperate so it wouldn't clog 2-3 different forums, plus perhaps it would help prevent some hassling that has unfortunately been going on lately... Frown

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Good idea. It would be handy to have all the artists in one place, make it easier to find details when wanting to order a commission too.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
It might be a good idea to collate as a list all the artists together with their website and/or email / contact details either on the NSU website or under a sub heading of card talk; obviously with the artisit's permission.

The artists now play a very important part to card collecting.

Just my twopenneth.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
While an "art" section wouldnt be a bad idea, if the artists want to disseminate their information regarding commissions and such, I feel they should buy an ad space like Cynthia Cummens has done. it is only $25 for 3 months.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, Dan.
Although the artist's participation on the board is most welcome, when said participation is in the form of announcing work that is for sale, it should be done in the proper way. That is, in the same advertising section that other card sellers are encouraged to list in.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I agree. It should be strictly for sharing art and not for selling.

Chris H

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
It's not NSU's job to pay for the bandwidth required to continually showcase artist's work. One or two samples are okay, but when too much is posted here, it eats into the allotted amount of bandwidth.

The answer to this is simple; have the artists post a link to their OWN non-sales web site. There they can post their entire body of work, if they want. Why must we expect NSU to foot the bill for this?

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Kev... what gave you the impression that NSU would be hosting the pics? I didnt get that from this thread.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
As an artist I'm obviously still all for it. It would just be an area for artists to show their stuff and those that aren't interested in the artists don't have to look at those particular threads. I think the artists are responsible enough to adhere to card Talks rules. I've posted a handful of pictures in my short time here and I've never made statements like 'these are for sale' and I never would, it's against the rules. I don't think any of the artists have ever said 'these are for sale', it's usually other members asking 'are they available?' and then the artists and members take it off into private messages or Emails (as far as I know). I was interested in taking out an ad' for $25 for 3 months but I read the rules and it says 'sellers should not refer to items and/or ads in the advertising area on any other part of the board'. That totally put me off. If I put new pictures into my ad every few weeks but I'm not allowed to say 'I've put some new pictures in my advert, those that are interested please take a look' then I can't see how I would alert people to my updated advert. I think the rules should be slackened a little bit, and an artists area would be great, the artists would like it, the people that like their work would like it and the non interested parties would surely like the idea as it keeps it all in one place and doesn't infringe on their favourite threads.

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
Kev... what gave you the impression that NSU would be hosting the pics? I didnt get that from this thread.

The very first sentence of this thread.

There's no need for an artist's forum on Card Talk. If they want to show off more than one or two samples of their work, then a link to their website is all that's needed. Their website would allow them to showcase other work, not card related.

Why does a forum needed to be added at all? The Tosers have better uses for their hard-earned money than paying for overages on their Groupee plan.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Nik:

Thanks a lot for your input (and everyone else's too, of course). You bring up some good points. And I think you'll see something along these lines from us very soon.

You say you think we should allow artists to refer to their ads in their posts. BUT -- We don't currently do this for the advertiser's forum. And if we were to do it for an artists forum, it might not be fair to NOT allow it for the the advertiser's forum. And if we would start to allow that, then anytime we talked about the new Law & Order card series, retailer XYZ would come along and say "yeah, they're great -- see my ad in the advertiser's forum". Then retailer ABC comes along and says "I'm selling them too." And we don't want that.

There always seems to be an obstacle or a limitation of the forum software.

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
how about instead of pushing the artists into the ad forum, they can have their very own ad forum with a slight difference - they would be open threads for members to post in, ask questions etc. Have the artists "rent" a gallery as it were (with pics hosted off board of course) - each artist could then have their own thread (one per artist) where they can post pics, hock their commissions or whatever they wanted in relation to ther artistry or business.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:

There's no need for an artist's forum on Card Talk. If they want to show off more than one or two samples of their work, then a link to their website is all that's needed. Their website would allow them to showcase other work, not card related.

Why does a forum needed to be added at all? The Tosers have better uses for their hard-earned money than paying for overages on their Groupee plan.

Whoops. Sorry Kevin. I think I was typing when you posted and I didn't see your post and thought mine would be right below NIK's. Obviously, mine replies to his post.

But while I'm posting again, thanks for your post again. Obviously, you know the drill, so I appreciate your concern.

I like what you write but I don't know that I have ever seen an artists site WITHOUT some sort of commercial aspect to it (commissions, art for sale, etc.). So when we offer something, it will probably be the route where artists pay to link to their site in a special area and only in that area.

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I didnt get that from what Chris said. They already post their work and link to offsite pic hosting. This would incur little or no "overages" other than what we already have. A forum for sketch card artists would be alot more relevant to the board than say "Chatter"

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
Hi Harris,
Yes I can see your problem, either have a total free for all (not good) or keep it as it is. There doesn't seem to be any leeway for something in the middle.

'And I think you'll see something along these lines from us very soon.'

Means you're thinking of an area for the artists to show work?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I didnt get that from what Chris said. They already post their work and link to offsite pic hosting. This would incur little or no "overages" other than what we already have. A forum for sketch card artists would be alot more relevant to the board than say "Chatter"

Yes, that's what I meant. We already have artists posting art and I didn't mean for anything to change except having it all under one thread together.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
Having just posted I now see several posts inbetween mine and Harris first one which I was replying to. I now see Harris' follow up post which gives a bit more info.