Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum for artists
 Login/Join

Picture of naenae
posted Hide Post
quote:
We could try to split the difference a bit. ONE thread started by Harris in the Artist forum where any artist, paid or not, can post their artwork for free no advertising allowed and no responses allowed from the general public. And then any artist which decides to pay the $25 for every 3 months can have their own thread with advertising allowed and with responses allowed from teh general membership.

How does that sound to everyone?

Sounds cool to me Thumb Up I don't post often enough where I'd need my own thread anyways.

I'm almost afraid to post art here anymore, though, after reading all this. I don't like being in a community where I'm viewed as a money grubbing greedypants soley after the adoration of others, when I just want to share with the class. It's untrue and pretty unwelcoming.

But I like that idea, yeah. Smile

ComicSpace
http://www.comicspace.com/renaedeliz/
DeviantArt http://renaedeliz.deviantart.com/
MySpace http://www.myspace.com/renaedeliz
Golden Goat Studios http://renae.goldengoatstudios.com

Posts: 51 | Location: Salina, Kansas | Registered: December 16, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
money grubbing greedypants

Hey!
I resemble that remark and Im not even an artist! I cant even draw a straight line! My stick figures are deformed.

naenae: I think those views are shared only by a small, very small, albiet vocal, percentage of the community.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey!
I resemble that remark and Im not even an artist! I cant even draw a straight line! My stick figures are deformed.

LOL are you advertising?

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NIK:
quote:
Hey!

LOL are you advertising?

$20 for an inked deformed stick figure card - but be warned, the ink will NOT match the pencil.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hey!

LOL are you advertising?

$20 for an inked deformed stick figure card - but be warned, the ink will NOT match the pencil.

Excellent! So we get a pencil sketch AND an ink sketch in one!

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
ROFL NIK

Anyway, since you are here, how does my idea grab you? I think Harris has thrown his hands up in the air at this thread for now. I am sure he would like to hear your thoughts (and others too) on my possible solution.

Picture of naenae
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
quote:
money grubbing greedypants

Hey!
I resemble that remark and Im not even an artist! I cant even draw a straight line!

haha! Well I guess there's a little money grubbing greedypants in everyone Do you know if there a website for that?

quote:
naenae: I think those views are shared only by a small, very small, albiet vocal, percentage of the community.

yeah, you're right, I'm sorry. I would be more than happy to continue sharing as long as people want to see.

I would also like to see interested collectors' input on my art ( good and bad). Helpful critiques are a part of what help an artist better themselves. I post in other forums just so I can get crits. That's my two ( I guess three by now) cents.

Oh, and I'd love to see your art too. Can you draw up a slave leia? She's the best. Big Grin

ComicSpace
http://www.comicspace.com/renaedeliz/
DeviantArt http://renaedeliz.deviantart.com/
MySpace http://www.myspace.com/renaedeliz
Golden Goat Studios http://renae.goldengoatstudios.com

Posts: 51 | Location: Salina, Kansas | Registered: December 16, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the immortal words of Dorfman " This is great ! "
I suggest charging Wolfie for every post he makes [ retroactive ] that would not only provide a free forum for sketch artists [ with a critics corner ] but would also probably subsidize the entire CardTalk forum .
sumo

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
quote:
ROFL NIK

Anyway, since you are here, how does my idea grab you? I think Harris has thrown his hands up in the air at this thread for now. I am sure he would like to hear your thoughts (and others too) on my possible solution.

Well, I've already expressed whatever views I had. Basically Harris is the boss and he's trying to do whatever is best for all. I wasn't one of the artists that were contacted to discuss what can be done, so I have no idea what the outcome was. Let's all just see what happens. Do you do colour deformed stick figures as well?

Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Yes, I color them, I can use any of 3 different crayon colors:

Burnt Orange
Fuschia
Forest Green

Please note that the crayon will NOT stay inside the lines. I almost flunked kindergarten because of it.

Even though you werent contacted (I wasnt either) what do you think? Harris is the boss, its true, but he also listens to his members - and guess what? You are a member Smile
a simple "I like it" or "I think its kinda lame" works for me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by naenae:
quote:
We could try to split the difference a bit. ONE thread started by Harris in the Artist forum where any artist, paid or not, can post their artwork for free no advertising allowed and no responses allowed from the general public. And then any artist which decides to pay the $25 for every 3 months can have their own thread with advertising allowed and with responses allowed from teh general membership.

How does that sound to everyone?

Sounds cool to me Thumb Up I don't post often enough where I'd need my own thread anyways.

I'm almost afraid to post art here anymore, though, after reading all this. I don't like being in a community where I'm viewed as a money grubbing greedypants soley after the adoration of others, when I just want to share with the class. It's untrue and pretty unwelcoming.

But I like that idea, yeah. Smile

I agree with you Nae, after reading all this it is a little intimidating...and very unwelcoming. On the other hand, the idea mtlhddoc2 sounds pretty good. I won't be posting all that often...

Rabid Horse Art - www.rabidhorse.com

Art Updates - www.rabidhorse.com/artblog

Posts: 390 | Location: East of Montreal, Canada | Registered: October 18, 2006Report This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the immortal words of Dorfman " This is great ! "
I suggest charging Wolfie for every post he makes [ retroactive ] that would not only provide a free forum for sketch artists [ with a critics corner ] but would also probably subsidize the entire CardTalk forum .
sumo

Sounds good, except that I think the funds should go towards subsidising a small third world country LOL

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even though you werent contacted (I wasnt either) what do you think? Harris is the boss, its true, but he also listens to his members - and guess what? You are a member
a simple "I like it" or "I think its kinda lame" works for me.

Okay, the first idea, a thread for artists to post, no advertising and no responses can be posted. To me it will just look like a long column of pictures by various people. I can't see any fun in that. The other idea is better. One thing I'm not clear on... I originally thought that the artists paid advertising area would be boring as no one else would be able to post replies or keep a thread going inside it. Is this incorrect? Would an artists paid advertising area be the same format as the adverts already on Card Talk or would they be discussion threads where anyone can freely post replies? I prefer the latter because I enjoy the interaction and the banter with the other collectors. I also welcome criticism on my art as it is always useful to know if I haven't done a good enough job. Anyway I've chipped in my two cents worth (eeek, I've been Americanised!)

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I color them, I can use any of 3 different crayon colors:

Burnt Orange
Fuschia
Forest Green

Y...You've moved up to Crayons?? (Gasp!) Eek

Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
NIK, I couldnt see having it any other way than with replies, without that, you might as well just get a regular ad. I am 99% sure it is possible to lock it down to replies, or not. I wasnt a mod for the last board update so I dont know if anything has changed in that respect. Actually, come to think of it. I think there was an option for "Topic Starter" only or "Topic starter and replies" only in the control panel. (sorry if I lost you, I am trying to translate from techie to English)

I agree with you, it mighht be "kinda boring" in that other thread, but I also think that this is the best way to split the difference between the two sides. This way, you can have your cake (for free) and eat it too (if you pay haha).

posted Hide Post
First of all....I've been reading these threads for the past hour or so. It seems to me X has a big problem with the artists on this board, and seems to have an even bigger mouth. There is absolutely no need to insult and offend people when you are trying to make a point, that is all you've done this whole thread. It's uncalled for.

On to things worth talking about. Like I said before, I have never posted art on these boards with the intent to get "commissions". Honestly I don't need the boards for that and I do quite well enough through my website which I pay for. Also, I never post auction links on these boards for the same reason. I did post art for the sake of showing the fans new pieces that I'd been working on,and getting their input because I felt their opinion mattered. Also, because I thought the fans liked and appreciated that. I was wrong.There seems to be absolutely no problem with a collector showing off a pack pulled sketchcard that one of the "artists" worked on. Oh wait, it's probly gonna make you an extra $200 bucks when you sell iton Ebay, glad I and all the other artists that shouldn't be here could help you with that. Little did I know that there would be such a backlash by the collectors on this site. If I would have known this I would have never joined these boards let alone post my work. With that being said, I fully support with all my heart and soul Rich, Miller, Cat, Amy, Cynthia and the rest of the artists on this site that feel the same way I do. And for the artists that feel otherwise, you have every right to that, just don't go throwing the rest of us under the bus to score some brownie points. It's something I never did nor will I ever do.

For the collectors and fans that do care about the sketch artists and seeing their work, you can see us on the Scoundrel boards. At least there, our hard work is appreciated.

Feel free to kill my post if you want...BUT, I thought we had freedom of speech and the freedom to express our thoughts, let's hope that holds true here.

Best,

Jim Kyle

Jim Kyle

Posts: 353 | Location: Jersey | Registered: June 24, 2006Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with you, it mighht be "kinda boring" in that other thread, but I also think that this is the best way to split the difference between the two sides. This way, you can have your cake (for free) and eat it too (if you pay haha).

Having thought more about it, I agree with you but only if the paid advert is just like the normal discussion threads. If that was the case then nothing would have changed at all except that I would now be paying $25 every three months for the privilege, I can live with that... maybe... er I dunno, good idea though yes.

Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
WOW, talk about going to extremes. Glad to see that some people are rational and dont take what one person posts and applies to every collector on the boards Roll Eyes

Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Having thought more about it, I agree with you but only if the paid advert is just like the normal discussion threads. If that was the case then nothing would have changed at all except that I would now be paying $25 every three months for the privilege, I can live with that... maybe... er I dunno, good idea though yes.

Yeah, basically, kinda, really, maybe, lol.

There are other hurdles to overcome, but I will be emailing Harris about those seperately.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway I've chipped in my two cents worth (eeek, I've been Americanised!)
Ah yes, but if you "truly" were, you would have known to spell it Americanized. Big Grin Wink

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Report This Post