Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum for artists
 Login/Join

Picture of MarleyEds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
Oi vey! Are you people hell bent on keeping this fight going?

I'm not hell bent on fighting - but if people are going to present one side, I will present the other

quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
That has been discussed a while back and annoucing you will be at a convention is exempt so long as it is in the Conevntion board and you do not mention any pricing. Artist could post there convention information in there as well whether they are an advertiser or not.

Sounds like a good decision - just think, if there was an Art board and you didn't mention pricing or "for sale", wouldn't it accomplish the same end?

Just food for thought

Posts: 118 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2005Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
I have to say I am a little confused here. X you agreed with me but disagree with RAM? But I am in total agreement with RAM!

To be honest, I think this thread should be closed down. There is so much bad feeling here, and all over nothing. A few pictures being posted by sketch card artists. I agree there should be a special area just for the artists to continue showing their stuff so it doesn't get mixed in with general card news. I don't agree about being charged for it but that's just my opinion. Lots of people make money in the card trading area, when they can't trade they just buy and sell to each other, no problem there and no one charges them. If RAM decides not to pay $25 for a RAM thread I will pay it for him!

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I didn't know all this was happening. Wish I could say that I've read every post, but at my age, I could die before I reach the end! I'm relatively new to the sketch card world - though a 20 yr art veteran - and the reason I posted my work here was simply because I thought people liked to look at what us artists are doing. I can tell you right now I don't make nearly enough to pay fees in a bunch of places to post my current pieces - I will get my own website for that. I have gotten many emails from people here just saying that they like to look at my stuff, so I was sure it was ok. If you want the honest truth, I think I have gotten 2 commissions in total after posting here, and as mentioned, I don't post just to get commissions. I use Ebay for that - I pay lots of fees for that, believe me, and I get numerous commissions from it. As for NSU, well is satisfying when people enjoy something you've done. I will stop posting my work as there was never any intention on my part to take advantage of anything or anyone here. Lastly, I would like to say that this a very informative site, and I really enjoy reading about the new sci-fi cards (just because I'm a fan)

Thank you, I'm done. Smile

Rabid Horse Art - www.rabidhorse.com

Art Updates - www.rabidhorse.com/artblog

Posts: 390 | Location: East of Montreal, Canada | Registered: October 18, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of people make money in the card trading area, when they can't trade they just buy and sell to each other

Well, thats subjective, I have never bought or sold something based on the trading section, but have commissioned 2 different artists based on their art postings. And thats just within the past 4 weeks. I garauntee I will be commissioning more, especially since I no longer collect pack pulled sketch cards, I ONLY collect commissioned cards now. Whether you intend it to be or not, it is advertising.

NIK: cool of you to do that for Rich, he is one of the artists I commissioned from, and I am really picky! Big Grin

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
ADENNUM:

Jedi, your work is pretty good, and I had seen it on ebay before. But for me: I never buy commissioned work on ebay, ever. And I only buy commissioned work. Hope that helps you a bit.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Picture of MILLER 777
posted Hide Post
Im done, done with all of this. I have no ill feelings toward any member of this site, nor do I want to continue this unessasary drama, life is to short.Sorry for being a GRINCH. Im outta here.MILLER777 Smokin'

Posts: 100 | Location: MD | Registered: April 27, 2006Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Gotta say, I'm about sick of it too. Heck, I can't even keep up with all the posts. I really don't have the time to wade through it all to try and determine what everyone wants, how to make everyone happy, etc. Doesn't seem possible, anyway. It also appears to me from some of the things said a page or so ago that many artist aren't for the paid-for artist forum and won't be supporting it with their participation. So for now, I think I am back to dragging my feet.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
Actually my good man I wouldn't mind paying for a subscription if it was similar to other sites which are usually in the $20-30 a year range. For that I would be more that willing to pay Smile But $25 a month is a little steap just to be able to post artwork and auctions I don't run. Smile

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
Wow, this sure did get out of hand quick. Sorry for leaving you out there by yourself Scott. I've had some other things I've been dealing with the last couple weeks and haven't had time to post much. New posts are coming up faster than I can keep up with them so I'm not even going to try to respond to any of them and just give my opinion on the issue. I make my living as an artist. Anytime I show my art somewhere it is self promotion. This is a form of advertising, even if I'm not outright selling. This is something I expect to pay for. If I can get it for free I'll take it otherwise I'm willing to pay. A few people from here might wander over to my personal website to check out what I'm doing but most of them won't. I believe most of the artists on here are either making a living as an artist or at least trying to. Sharing your own work whether you are outright trying to sell it or not is advertising. Allowing the artists to do this for free is not fair to the other advertisers who have ads in the paid advertising forum. I think it's worth the small $25/3 months fee they are asking to be able to reach the entire card talk community. I've had an ad previously in the regular advertising forum and will get one in the new artist's forum when they get it up and running and I hope many of the other artist's will at least give it a try.

Chris H

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMolinelli:
Actually my good man I wouldn't mind paying for a subscription if it was similar to other sites which are usually in the $20-30 a year range. For that I would be more that willing to pay Smile But $25 a month is a little steap just to be able to post artwork and auctions I don't run. Smile

I think he was trying to keep the pay structure the same as the current advertising forum which is $25 for 3 months. Giving the artists a cheaper rate than the other advertisers will probably just cause more problems.

Chris H

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just some thoughts...

Aside from official projects, folks have always been supportive and encouraging of my posting personal sketch cards, commissions, and recently my ACEO's. It wasn't my intention to get off track by posting my little "look what I can do's"Smile After all, I was inspired to try out my own original stuff on these 2.5x3.5 bad boys after having worked on sketch cards in the first place! I gave it a shot and folks responded positively. The magazine even recently had an article on ATC's, leading me to believe there was some support or interest for it from within this community. And I know there is, just not by everyone on this particular board and that's fine. To each his own, I think it goes.

So after reading everyone's opinions and being one to try to see both sides of the coin, for now I'm going to continue posting only news about my official sketch card projects, con appearances, etc...here. I know lots of people might be disappointed by that, but I hope you follow me over to Scoundrel and/or continue visiting my site. Regarding paying to advertise, I'm not opposed to the idea but I'm still mulling it over.

Back to the drawing board. Smile

Posts: 254 | Location: Chicago | Registered: November 19, 2004Report This Post

Picture of MarleyEds
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I don't understand why creating a separate forum for art (for free) is such a big deal. I haven't read anyone from NSU say its a bandwidth issue, and I seriously doubt that it even IS an issue with them - bandwidth is pretty cheap these days.

I understand why someone reading about the Topps Star Wars 30th Anniversary set might not want to see a personal sketch card of C-3PO, or why someone parusing the News & Rumors might not want to wade through general art posts. So solve it and and create a separate forum.

Here's another fun fact no one seems to be considering - I think artist participation in forums is essential. If there were no official artists here - I would spend much less time reading them. The only reason I purchased NSU magazine is because of the forums...so for me, artists being here is putting money in NSU's pocket. The boards are better because of the artist participation, so is it such a big deal to give them a board?

* disclaimer for the obsessive sketch card haters - I know not everyone comes to these boards for sketch cards, but a large amount do.

I'm not trying to turn this into saying anyone from NSU being the cause or the bad guy, I just think there's an easy solution.

Posts: 118 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
(The following question is sincere. It's not intended to provoke anyone. It's just something about which I've wondered.)

Is there a reason why artists can't post their artwork on their own site and just post a link here? Something like: "HERE are some samples of the work I did for the Krofft Kollection set."

By posting only a link, the reader has the choice of going to look at the artwork at whatever bandwidth is there.

(Again, I'm just curious. I'm not trying to instigate a fight, okay?)

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarleyEds:
Honestly, I don't understand why creating a separate forum for art (for free) is such a big deal. I haven't read anyone from NSU say its a bandwidth issue, and I seriously doubt that it even IS an issue with them - bandwidth is pretty cheap these days.

MarleyEds~~ Try telling that to Groupee!! They host Card Talk and are the ISP for the forum (a sort of unusual arrangement these days). As Mtlhddoc2 has indicated in one of his posts, we are allowed so much bandwidth per month under our plan and so many posts on the forum. Once we go over on either (or both) of these, we pay more. The forum works out to a not-insignificant charge (not a fortune, mind you, but not peanuts either).

The artist forum seemed like a decent solution:

- It would move some of the "look at my art" post to their own area (so that anyone who doesn't want to be bothered with these posts doesn't have to look)

- It moves what some might perceive as advertising to a forum which puts it on par with the existing advertiser's forum, thus leveling the playing field to any type of advertiser.

- It would allow the artists to do things they currently are not allowed to -- namely advertise for commissions as blatantly as they like

- And it helps subsidize NSU's forum cost. It's not really right to expect NSU to offer an ad forum for free. Even if the moneys generated are minimal (and we are talking about a pretty small amount here), anything that offsets forum costs is a good thing.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
RAMolinelli -
There is a difference between naivety and stupidy. I suggest you consult the OED for greater clarification. Some collectors DO enjoy your work, and for them you should keep posting it but within the refined areas Harris was trying to lay out (if non-card related) If official artwork - post away! You and other artists DO have a place here.

mtlhddoc2 -
I only used the word "stupid" because I got bashed for supposedly insinuating said name. Of course there is a difference between assuption and reality but if I was going to get chastised for 'saying' it I may as well actually use the damn word!

Cat -
Like I said before I don't care what any of the artists have been doing for the last 25 years. If anyone is proud of themselves for a particular career reason then good for them. I never said you guys aren't the most appropriate people for the job. In the other thread I was talking of the over abundance of sketch cards in relation to good-quality autographs. Now I know that you are an auto collector can you honestly say that recent Star Wars lineups cut-the-mustard?
I digress, you speak of my "Dislike for sketch cards", have you read my last few posts saying that sketch cards are important to the hobby and that I collect them? I do not "dislike" sketch cards but rather how they are utilised within certain products. Now I wouldn't expect you to conduct reserach before you comment but you could at least read what I wrote beforehand.

I never said I don't people shouldn't say what they like or don't like, I merely said I choose not to be offensive by commenting on artwork I don't like. Do you think I should?

Yes people do want previews of sketches in upcoming products but the majority of current artist threads do not meet this criteria, they focus on personal work. Consequently they do not benefit a company in terms of publicity which is why some threads need to be moved. The only possible tangible befefit would be for the artist in terms of possible work from either a manufacturer or a fan.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Report This Post
Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
RAMolinelli -
There is a difference between naivety and stupidy. I suggest you consult the OED for greater clarification. Some collectors DO enjoy your work, and for them you should keep posting it but within the refined areas Harris was trying to lay out (if non-card related) If official artwork - post away! You and other artists DO have a place here.

As I said once a decision is made I will make my decision Smile

Rich

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
RAMolinelli -
There is a difference between naivety and stupidy. I suggest you consult the OED for greater clarification.

X~

Please watch it. You are beginning to flame others and it is not permitted here. I appreciate your input (I honestly do) but please try and not do so in way that may hurt others.

Also, I hope the artists here will remember that just because a few members have said that they do not wish to see non-related card works, it by no means means that everyone here (or NSU) feels this way.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
RAMolinelli -
There is a difference between naivety and stupidy. I suggest you consult the OED for greater clarification.

X~

Please watch it. You are beginning to flame others and it is not permitted here. I appreciate your input (I honestly do) but please try and not do so in way that may hurt others.

Also, I hope the artists here will remember that just because a few members have said that they do not wish to see non-related card works, it by no means means that everyone here (or NSU) feels this way.

I said the comment you quoted matter-of-factly, true it was stern, but its also not too grand to be accused of saying things you did not. Anyway thats done and dusted.

Harris, I'm watching 'it'. Thumb Up

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jedipencil:
Wow. I didn't know all this was happening. Wish I could say that I've read every post, but at my age, I could die before I reach the end! I'm relatively new to the sketch card world - though a 20 yr art veteran - and the reason I posted my work here was simply because I thought people liked to look at what us artists are doing. I can tell you right now I don't make nearly enough to pay fees in a bunch of places to post my current pieces - I will get my own website for that. I have gotten many emails from people here just saying that they like to look at my stuff, so I was sure it was ok. If you want the honest truth, I think I have gotten 2 commissions in total after posting here, and as mentioned, I don't post just to get commissions. I use Ebay for that - I pay lots of fees for that, believe me, and I get numerous commissions from it. As for NSU, well is satisfying when people enjoy something you've done. I will stop posting my work as there was never any intention on my part to take advantage of anything or anyone here. Lastly, I would like to say that this a very informative site, and I really enjoy reading about the new sci-fi cards (just because I'm a fan)

Thank you, I'm done. Smile

ditto. I'll take my thread down.

Posts: 26 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2007Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
In the immortal words of Bart Simpson "Ay Carumba!"

Talk about going off the deep end, well, this thread sure has. Glad I am not a moderator any more.

Well, after having a few conversations with the artists. I can see their side a bit. Many of them already pay fees on other sites to post their wares and adding another chunk to that could be a little pricey for them.

But on the flip side of that, the advertisers might rebel a little if the artists were given a forum which was cheaper than what they are already paying.

But again, we still want the artists around and need to move them to their own forum.

anyone getting this so far? Good, now tell me whats going on lol

really, I think we need to find a middle ground in there.

We could try to split the difference a bit. ONE thread started by Harris in the Artist forum where any artist, paid or not, can post their artwork for free no advertising allowed and no responses allowed from the general public. And then any artist which decides to pay the $25 for every 3 months can have their own thread with advertising allowed and with responses allowed from teh general membership.

How does that sound to everyone?