Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum for artists
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NIK:
As an artist I'm obviously still all for it. It would just be an area for artists to show their stuff and those that aren't interested in the artists don't have to look at those particular threads. I think the artists are responsible enough to adhere to card Talks rules. I've posted a handful of pictures in my short time here and I've never made statements like 'these are for sale' and I never would, it's against the rules. I don't think any of the artists have ever said 'these are for sale', it's usually other members asking 'are they available?' and then the artists and members take it off into private messages or Emails (as far as I know). I was interested in taking out an ad' for $25 for 3 months but I read the rules and it says 'sellers should not refer to items and/or ads in the advertising area on any other part of the board'. That totally put me off. If I put new pictures into my ad every few weeks but I'm not allowed to say 'I've put some new pictures in my advert, those that are interested please take a look' then I can't see how I would alert people to my updated advert. I think the rules should be slackened a little bit, and an artists area would be great, the artists would like it, the people that like their work would like it and the non interested parties would surely like the idea as it keeps it all in one place and doesn't infringe on their favourite threads.

Something I think might help in the ad forum is if ads got bumped to the top when updated . This way people can tell when an ad has been updated and it might encorage them to look more often. It also might encourage sellers to update their ads more often.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisahend:
Something I think might help in the ad forum is if ads got bumped to the top when updated . This way people can tell when an ad has been updated and it might encorage them to look more often. It also might encourage sellers to update their ads more often.

Yea, that would be helpful, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, that is not possible with our forum software.

See what I grappel with daily? --- Welcome to my world!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
Or maybe advertisers (whether they are artists or card dealers) could have their own type of logo under their name, something like 'Card Talk Advertiser' That way the rules could stay the same but whenever they posted people would see the logo and it would be a gentle reminder to look at the advertising section occasionally.

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
NIK,

The little gold star next to one's CT name indicates a paying advertiser.

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tsmeltzer, I didn't know that (new here). We need an addition to the smileys, one that shows embarressment. Smile

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
NIK... it is OK, we were all new once. Now you know Wink And this is the closest built-in smiley to embarassment Red Face

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
I know, I saw it, but it just didn't quite do 'embarrassment' for me. It looks more like I've had a curry one level up from what I can take and nature is calling.

posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Chris - it is frustrating to pay for advertising space and then not get bumped with a new post. Harris, I know there's nothing you can do about that. That being said, I'm all for an area just for artists to post their work. Whatever makes things run smooth here! Team spirit- RAH! Smile

How does everyone feel about artists being able to continue posting samples of official projects in the corresponding threads? Kennywood mentioned it's not NSU's job to pay for bandwith required to showcase artist's work. Has there been any complaints about that? If so, I wasn't aware.

Posts: 254 | Location: Chicago | Registered: November 19, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmeltzer:
NIK,

I wondered what that meant! I thought maybe it was like one of those 'nice work' gold stars I used to get on my art in grade school! Wink

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CC:
Kennywood mentioned it's not NSU's job to pay for bandwith required to showcase artist's work. Has there been any complaints about that? If so, I wasn't aware.

That would only apply if NSU was hosting your pic, which it isn't, so your good Smile

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtlhddoc2:
quote:
Originally posted by CC:
Kennywood mentioned it's not NSU's job to pay for bandwith required to showcase artist's work. Has there been any complaints about that? If so, I wasn't aware.

That would only apply if NSU was hosting your pic, which it isn't, so your good Smile

*phew* Good. I'm good with crayons...technological terms, not so much!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmeltzer:
I didn't know that either. You learn something new everyday - thanx Tim. Thumb Up

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
The board's starting to get overrun with sketch card artists!!! How about we re-name the NSU site "New Sketches Update" Big Grin

Some random thoughts (I'm tired Smile):

Any "new" news or thoughts on a sketch artist thread? Smile I was curious, is it not possible for Chris or CC to post replies on their advertising threads? I notice all of the advertisers have 0 replies. Is this due to the software? Can't add a post saying "updated 3/07" at the end to bump it to the top? Would there be a way to fix that? I know I'd look into advertising there, and as there are probably 10 more artists hanging around here (RAM, JediPencil, Rowena, McHugh, Studio-Hades, the Hun, Dane, etc), perhaps some $ could be made there for NSU...

There was an issue brought up earlier in this thread about NSU hosting the pics and losing bandwith. DOES NSU host pics? I thought the only way to post was to link to an http address for a pic? So, do the artists continue this route for now?

I've stopped posting pics for now, it's getting crowded! Let's put our heads together! Can there be seperate forums in advertising: one for artists and one for card sellers? With only 10-15 artists (for now Big Grin), that wouldn't be a big forum for posts to be lost in if there was no "bumping", only 1-2 pages to flip through... Confused

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I was thinking along similar lines the other day - there are like 15 "here is my art" posts in the General area now. I second the motion for a new Artist area, paid of course, especially since the artist posts are often a whole bunch of grey with some artists saying "this on is for sale" or "this is on ebay" and "here is my email for commissions" and such. And Artist ad forum would allow the artists to link to their websites and post contact info and pricing and such.

NSU does NOT host pics, so you should still be able to post them without issue.

the advertising forum has a "no reply" rule to prevent people from bumping their posts constantly to the top. It isnt a perfect section, but it works in theory. If you wanted to bump to the top, you can delete and then repost your advertisement.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that they are working on something along the lines of an artist's paid advertising forum.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's my understanding that they are working on something along the lines of an artist's paid advertising forum.

That's cool. Artists can show off their stuff, and if they get 1 commission job from their thread, that would more or less pay for the 3 month fee (depending on if it stays at it's current rate). I'd think everyone would be cool with that as long as threads don't get buried. Perhaps they could be posted alphabetically by artists' names?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHouseman:
Perhaps they could be posted alphabetically by artists' names?

My name is now Adam Aadamson just in case.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SHouseman:
Perhaps they could be posted alphabetically by artists' names?

My name is now Adam Aadamson just in case.

Good one! Thumb Up I'll be Alec Aarons! We'll make millions at the top of the thread! Bwaaa Ha Haaaaa!

Ahem. Sorry. Twak

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
I'll be 123NIK, numbers usually go before the alphabetical ones Razz

posted Hide Post
I'm glad this is being discussed again. Funny, I was this close to posting the same questions here yesterday. In any case, I've slowed down posting my work in my thread recently after noticing some new artists coming on board. I too hope an announcement is soon made about an artist thread. For the record, MY new name is _123AbeAbersWink