Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Forum for artists

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/101605453/m/3571025212

April 03, 2007, 06:43 PM
NIK
Forum for artists
quote:
Yeah, basically, kinda, really, maybe, lol.

LOL I know, I just don't have anything more to say. I Just want to wait and see what happens. At the moment no one is posting art and I feel that's bad and should be resolved quickly.

'Yes, I color them, I can use any of 3 different crayon colors:

Burnt Orange
Fuschia
Forest Green'
Did you know if you place one colour over another you get a new colour?

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.
April 03, 2007, 06:43 PM
SciFiMom
quote:
Originally posted by JimKyle:
For the collectors and fans that do care about the sketch artists and seeing their work, you can see us on the Scoundrel boards. At least there, our hard work is appreciated.
I care Wavey, so please tell me: what are the Scoundrel boards???

April 03, 2007, 06:46 PM
SciFiMom
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Also, I hope the artists here will remember that just because a few members have said that they do not wish to see non-related card works, it by no means means that everyone here (or NSU) feels this way.
Although I am not an artist (not even close!), I wanted to say thank you for saying that Harris. Thumb Up

April 03, 2007, 06:47 PM
NIK
quote:
Ah yes, but if you "truly" were, you would have known to spell it Americanized.

LOL you got me there SciFimum.... er mom!

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.
April 03, 2007, 06:50 PM
SciFiMom
quote:
Originally posted by NIK:
quote:
Ah yes, but if you "truly" were, you would have known to spell it Americanized.
LOL you got me there SciFimum.... er mom!
You know, I've noticed that the UK Card Talkers refer to me as SciFiMum, which I think is kind of cool. Big Grin

April 03, 2007, 06:59 PM
X
quote:
First of all....I've been reading these threads for the past hour or so. It seems to me X has a big problem with the artists on this board, and seems to have an even bigger mouth. There is absolutely no need to insult and offend people when you are trying to make a point, that is all you've done this whole thread. It's uncalled for.

I hope this is going to be the last time I have to repeat this: I have no problems with any artist or their work but rather the convoluting the board with art not related to actual Trading Card sets.

On to things worth talking about. Like I said before, I have never posted art on these boards with the intent to get "commissions". Honestly I don't need the boards for that and I do quite well enough through my website which I pay for. Also, I never post auction links on these boards for the same reason. I did post art for the sake of showing the fans new pieces that I'd been working on,and getting their input because I felt their opinion mattered. Also, because I thought the fans liked and appreciated that. I was wrong.

You're not wrong. Some people do, some people don't, such is life. No need to get irrate because people have different preferences/opinions.

There seems to be absolutely no problem with a collector showing off a pack pulled sketchcard that one of the "artists" worked on. Oh wait, it's probly gonna make you an extra $200 bucks when you sell iton Ebay, glad I and all the other artists that shouldn't be here could help you with that.

Excuse me? Of course there is no problem, it is a trading card, maybe you missed the fact this is a board for amongst other things TRADING CARDS. Roll Eyes And don't you think most people looking to pull sketchs do so becuase they like the art and want to keep them in their collection not just to flog on ebay. And if they did put it on ebay and sold it for $1,000 what has that really got to do with you or me or anyone else? Sure you may have initially produced it, but that was your job, you got paid, the story ends there. Besides that is the name of the non-sport game buddy, do you really think it would go down well if Roger Moore signed up to NSU and stared posting "love me and include me because I signed cards that sell for vast sums of money on ebay"? Are we expected to get down on our hands and knees and praise you for creating this image? You've got some ego! And nobody said you shouldn't be on the boards! Arghhh!

Little did I know that there would be such a backlash by the collectors on this site. If I would have known this I would have never joined these boards let alone post my work. With that being said, I fully support with all my heart and soul Rich, Miller, Cat, Amy, Cynthia and the rest of the artists on this site that feel the same way I do. And for the artists that feel otherwise, you have every right to that, just don't go throwing the rest of us under the bus to score some brownie points. It's something I never did nor will I ever do.

For the collectors and fans that do care about the sketch artists and seeing their work, you can see us on the Scoundrel boards. At least there, our hard work is appreciated.

I would think EVERYONE here (by the way that includes me) would like to see artwork for upcoming sets posted on NSU whereas quite a number would like to see artwork not related to card sets as well. Who said the work is not appreciated? Come on 3 names please, if you can.

Feel free to kill my post if you want...BUT, I thought we had freedom of speech and the freedom to express our thoughts, let's hope that holds true here.

Best,

Jim Kyle

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,
April 03, 2007, 07:06 PM
JimKyle
oooooooohhhh....3 names......I love a challenge Luv You I never said to love anyone and include anyone....thats just ridiculous. No one ever said to get down on your knees and praise anyone, thats only you're sarcasm, once again shining through. When you decide to cut the childissh banter then we can talk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JimKyle,

Jim Kyle
April 03, 2007, 07:21 PM
X
quote:
oooooooohhhh....I love a challange Luv You

Seriously though, how many people have said "I hate sketch card artists and their work and their presence is not welcome on NSU?" No-one as far as I've noticed. And that includes me: the demonized 'sketch-hater'! Again a common misconception in this thread. Razz
April 03, 2007, 07:37 PM
SHouseman
quote:
Originally posted by NIK:
Okay, the first idea, a thread for artists to post, no advertising and no responses can be posted. To me it will just look like a long column of pictures by various people. I can't see any fun in that. The other idea is better. One thing I'm not clear on... I originally thought that the artists paid advertising area would be boring as no one else would be able to post replies or keep a thread going inside it. Is this incorrect? Would an artists paid advertising area be the same format as the adverts already on Card Talk or would they be discussion threads where anyone can freely post replies? I prefer the latter because I enjoy the interaction and the banter with the other collectors. I also welcome criticism on my art as it is always useful to know if I haven't done a good enough job. Anyway I've chipped in my two cents worth (eeek, I've been Americanised!)

I haven't read through all the new posts yet, but yes, one thing the artists agreed on was that we all wanted replies to be allowed in the paid forum. Critiques, applause, commission questions, etc.

And, one thing that has not been brought up yet, is that I guess there are many instances where posts DO border on advertising. With all the posts, it was hard for NSU to monitor it all. There is a lot of gray area and they just wanted to move it all to one place with a solid set of rules where really, there WERE no rules as long as it was clean content. It made it easier for them in that way as well. JUST ANOTHER REASON THE PAID FORUM WAS THOUGHT OF. I don't need 50 flaming replies about it Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SHouseman,

April 03, 2007, 07:55 PM
venom5liter
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I hope this is going to be the last time I have to repeat this: I have no problems with any artist or their work but rather the convoluting the board with art not related to actual Trading Card sets.

I see a dozen artist posts on Page 1 of General Card Discussion out of 42 total pages. How does this equate to convoluting the board?

Trade List | Want List | NonSport Collection | Wrestling Collection | Facebook
April 03, 2007, 07:59 PM
SHouseman
To honestly answer your question, because they've all stopped posting in the last week or two and the threads are getting bumped back. Up til them it was always numerous artist threads at the top daily (MINE INCLUDED, I'm not innocent Big Grin).

April 03, 2007, 08:06 PM
X
quote:
oooooooohhhh....3 names......I love a challenge Luv You I never said to love anyone and include anyone....thats just ridiculous. No one ever said to get down on your knees and praise anyone, thats only you're sarcasm, once again shining through. When you decide to cut the childissh banter then we can talk.

Again another person in need of a quick browse through the old OED. Its called exaggeration not sarcasm. You know, a rhetorical device often used to make a more pronuounced point. Or maybe you didn't know that? Get down with the lingo and THEN we can talk.

So do you have some concrete information on who doesn't want you here or would you prefer to continue inanely nitpicking my idiosyncrasies? I though this was about art? Smokin'
April 03, 2007, 08:08 PM
X
Ta Scott! Wave
April 03, 2007, 08:10 PM
JimKyle
Man, all thats left to do here is laugh, and move on.

Jim Kyle
April 03, 2007, 08:12 PM
Szym
Okay, it is 2 in the morning in France and it took me a while read all those posts. My two cents:

- To all the artists on the board : We love you, stay with us

- To X : If you don't know how to talk without being agressive, keep your mouth shut.

- To Harris : How can you let one of the members of this board attack others like this. I am not an artist and it offend me. I can only guess how artists take his comments.

- One last question: except X, how many members did complain about artists posting (I don't see a lot of them here Confused)?
April 03, 2007, 08:15 PM
X
quote:
Man, all thats left to do here is laugh, and move on.

Another well made point after getting blown-out the water (I'm sure you'd disagree of course). You are right about it being time to laugh. Sheep
April 03, 2007, 08:15 PM
SHouseman
quote:
With that being said, I fully support with all my heart and soul Rich, Miller, Cat, Amy, Cynthia and the rest of the artists on this site that feel the same way I do. And for the artists that feel otherwise, you have every right to that, just don't go throwing the rest of us under the bus to score some brownie points.

I'm sure this is directed towards me for one. I don't CARE what NSU thinks of me - I don't have articles written about me or get freebies from them. I guess I am one of the few who would pay for a no-holds-barred paid forum. I agree with some other artists here that we are self-promoting ourselves with every pic we post. I guess my Marketing and Advertising major/minor college degree and 18 years in retail make me ignorant, but that's what we are doing, myself included. The paid thread was a fix. There are so many people here who ARE passionate about sketch cards, it could mean good business for all the artists.

And unfortunately, at least one of your named artists above WAS part of the Artist Thread talks and I have the e-mails saved with their support of it - but I won't go there.

...I thought we had freedom of speech and the freedom to express our thoughts, let's hope that holds true here.

So don't bash me or other artists/collectors with an opposing view please. We can all stay polite about this - some are being too aggressive on BOTH sides of the coin IMO.

Best,

Jim Kyle

Thanks for taking my responses politely and not reading into them.
I'm off to score more brownie points Big Grin
The Big Chief and Ambassador of Sketch Cards,
Scott H.

April 03, 2007, 08:20 PM
SHouseman
quote:
Originally posted by Szym:
- One last question: except X, how many members did complain about artists posting (I don't see a lot of them here Confused)?

I, who supports the paid forum, got complaints about my posts from members. NSU and I traded heated e-mails, yes, the people I'm siding with Big Grin. A lot of it goes on off-page to not cause friction or embarrass the artists "in public", it's a private deal...

April 03, 2007, 08:24 PM
Szym
Okay, but how many?
April 03, 2007, 08:27 PM
X
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Szym:
Okay, it is 2 in the morning in France and it took me a while read all those posts. My two cents:

- To all the artists on the board : We love you, stay with us

- To X : If you don't know how to talk without being agressive, keep your mouth shut.
QUOTE]

Artists please do stay (ps. no sarcasm intended if it wasn't obvious).

And Szym perhaps you could take note of the irony of issuing rude imperitives in bold type? The hypocrisy would be so offensive if it weren't quite so damn hilarious!

Maybe I should have told everyone I disagree with to "Shut their mouth"? How lovely! Sorry, rather not.

Yes my written style is slighty ostentatious, but the world isn't sugar-coated and neither is NSU - sue me for having an opinion! I'd rather have make a forceful comment that gets tongues wagging and thoughts moving than be tepid. There is no need to get so wound up.