Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum for artists
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MILLER 777:
First I would would like to say I agree with the general consensus here, artists should be able to post new work to share with everyone,but trying to sell the said artwork is where this has become an issue.

Yeah, you're halfway there, but the problem includes work not related to actual trading card sets.

I personally think that the major card manufactures frequent the boards and its benifical to have artwork posted for an oportunity to work for said manufacturer.

That may be the case, but how is that beneficial for anyone but the artist? This is a card collector site.

When did you become the ambassador for the trading card industry by the way? I dont want to go into a whole bashing session over all of this. I dont need the drama.

I think your comment there is a totally unfair. Maybe he's not actually ambassador but at least he understands the situation. We could do with a few more artists like that round here. Roll Eyes

MILLER777 out Smokin'

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now Mr Houseman I am sorry I singled you out brother,but you were the last in line.You are correct there are other artists that feel the same as you. Are you really right?Do you have your own website to promote your artwork? When did you become the ambassador for the trading card industry by the way? MILLER777 out Smokin'

1) Nope. Don't have my own website. Haven't gotten around to it. Too busy working and drawing. Started on a site a while back. Your point is...?
2) Nope, I was joking with "I'm right". That's why I had Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin after it. Guess you missed those Smile
3) I was appointed the Ambassadorship for Trading Cards last November. It was headlines for weeks, sorry if you don't get the newspaper.

Miller 777, to show my age: take a chill pill Big Grin None of your questions really make any sense... Sorry if you are mad at me for some reason, it's cards. It's art. It's not the end of the world. You still have your fans! I still have the two fans I pay to say they like my stuff!

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
When did you become the ambassador for the trading card industry by the way? I dont want to go into a whole bashing session over all of this. I dont need the drama.

I think your comment there is a totally unfair. Maybe he's not actually ambassador but at least he understands the situation. We could do with a few more artists like that round here. Roll Eyes

MILLER777 out Smokin'

Thanks, X. I'm just trying to see both sides of the equation. There's just a real left and right to the argument, and unfortunately being a card lover AND artist, I'm stuck in the middle. Glad one person sees my angle and "arguments" Thumb Up

Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
WOW, just WOW. I have never read a thread in my whole life that just makes me want to not talk anymore.

With that being said for you to insuate that we are all in this for the money. I posted here because in one thread when I was doing LOTR Masterpiece someone mentioned wanting to see more of my work. I post here to interact with my fans. People who without them I wouldn't be who I am. But I have to say that this thread has made me wonder if my decision to post me work here was a good idea. I wanted to offer something different other than the same old, same old I saw here. No OTHER community has balked at me for posting my work. Hell I post on a SPORTS card community along with Ingrid. They don't care they look at it as a breathe of fresh air. People saying I have an alterior motive just................I can't even find the words. So if anyone wants to come and enjoy some artwork please feel free to head over to Scoundrel Art Community. I'll be there. Apparently Nae, Amy and myself are too stupid to understand that you guys want a piece of the pie that you think we are keeping to ourselves and robbing from NSU, when most if not all of us were here to try and make the community better. I have no problem paying to take out an ad on NSU, I did it once on a forum called Digital Webbing, who has members in the 100,000s. I can not condone paying to simply come by and post some artwork for people to view.

Scott I agree with Miller on you seem to have made yourself seem like your the High Chief for sketch cards artists and that you got backlash for that aspect not how you feel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RAMolinelli,

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silverback:
I will simply say that I love seeing the artist's scans, and if they stop, I will sorely miss them!
I'm with you Silverback. Thumb Up

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMolinelli:
Scott I agree with Miller on you seem to have made yourself seem like your the High Chief for sketch cards artists and that you got backalsh for that aspect not how you feel.

I've posted MY opinions and said there are too many art threads on here. That's about it. I was one of a few artists contacted about the advertising forum. I've been the only one communicating about it, hopefully others will chime in soon. I think if anything, I'm being PRO-NSU than card collecting OR sketch card artist.

Here is my disclaimer: I, Scott Houseman, do not represent the beliefs, opinions, or thoughts of any other sketch card artists. Smile

I don't see where you get the idea I'm playing the big dog, but hey, I'll be both High Chief and Ambassador. What an eventful day I'm having! Hope these jobs pay more than $1.50 Big Grin I don't know why you got your feathers ruffled, I have meant no harm to anyone, just trying to help Card Talk find a solution. Please let's drop all of this other nonsense. PLEASE. Frown

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know when this new area for artists will open? I enjoy seeing the works of CC, RAM, Jedipencil and all the others here, I'm missing them already.

I'm also now worried about certain other threads that I read, will they be closed down because they have nothing to do with card collecting? Or because they are clogging up Card talk? Threads like 'Name that TV quote' currently at 61 pages long! 'Jokes for adults', 'Jokes for kids'. General entertainment announcements, chatter, snowmen, the new Rush album, peoples birthdays, new pets, which star sign are you, I shaved my mustache (LOL) etc. I truthfully enjoy all these threads (really). Please don't wipe these out or force the people to pay for these threads because they have nothing to do with card collecting. Thank you Smile

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Report This Post
Picture of MILLER 777
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich, Houseman I dont have anything against you or any other artist for that matter. I am one the same page as you and others I think that if your trying to make sales you should pay a fee and be in the advertisors section. But to post work to show it off( maybe to get praise maybe to get reactions from fans) and by the way X the two times I have posted artwork I have recieved constructive critisim not just a$$ ki$$ing about the artwork so for me it was benefical to have said artwork posted up. Maybe the answer here is to make separate forum for art. It seems to me if sketch card art is a part of the indusry it should be part of the forums as well. Self promotion and pimping of ones works should be taken elsewhere,such as artists website or myspace page or pony up and pay the advertisors fee.This gotten way out of hand. Miller777 Smokin'

Posts: 100 | Location: MD | Registered: April 27, 2006Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMolinelli:
WOW, just WOW. I have never read a thread in my whole life that just makes me want to not talk anymore.

With that being said for you to insuate that we are all in this for the money. I posted here because in one thread when I was doing LOTR Masterpiece someone mentioned wanting to see more of my work. I post here to interact with my fans. People who without them I wouldn't be who I am. But I have to say that this thread has made me wonder if my decision to post me work here was a good idea. I wanted to offer something different other than the same old, same old I saw here. No OTHER community has balked at me for posting my work. Hell I post on a SPORTS card community along with Ingrid. They don't care they look at it as a breathe of fresh air. People saying I have an alterior motive just................I can't even find the words. So if anyone wants to come and enjoy some artwork please feel free to head over to Scoundrel Art Community. I'll be there. Apparently Nae, Amy and myself are too stupid to understand that you guys want a piece of the pie that you think we are keeping to ourselves and robbing from NSU, when most if not all of us were here to try and make the community better.
Scott I agree with Miller on you seem to have made yourself seem like your the High Chief for sketch cards artists and that you got backalsh for that aspect not how you feel.

Please turn off the waterworks. I'm assuming some of your comments come after reading some of mine? Again my point seems to have been missed competeley.

- You RAMolinelli are (in my opinion) one of the better artists.
- I do enjoy seeing your work. Not nearly as much as hearing info. on a new card set but its all good.
- I don't want you to go away or any other artist. Though sketch cards are not my focus, it is for others, so they shouldn't be deprived of that which interests them.
- That said, non-card related art is clogging the boards: and it seems the best solution is to keep card-related art in trading card threads and random art in a paid area.
- Whether intentional or not artists DO make money as a consequence of posting their official or unoffical work here.
- If an artist is not contributing official artwork to thread on a certain card set, the artwork really is not related to NON-SPORT TRADING CARDS, which is what this website is for. Sorry if that is too brutal to hear but it is the truth. There is no need to get so wound up.

And nobody called you or any other artist "stupid" but I'm now inclined to think so if you can twist a post so bizarrely.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NIK:
Does anyone know when this new area for artists will open? I enjoy seeing the works of CC, RAM, Jedipencil and all the others here, I'm missing them already.

I'm also now worried about certain other threads that I read, will they be closed down because they have nothing to do with card collecting? Or because they are clogging up Card talk? Threads like 'Name that TV quote' currently at 61 pages long! 'Jokes for adults', 'Jokes for kids'. General entertainment announcements, chatter, snowmen, the new Rush album, peoples birthdays, new pets, which star sign are you, I shaved my mustache (LOL) etc. I truthfully enjoy all these threads (really). Please don't wipe these out or force the people to pay for these threads because they have nothing to do with card collecting. Thank you Smile

Exactly NIK, you (and I'm sure many others) also enjoy the threads not to do with card collecting so they should stay! And like these categories, random artwork should gets one all its own, its not my interest but that doesn't mean it should go away. Thumb Up

posted Hide Post
I'll just let it be known that I am not angry with anyone here.

I think NIK has a point about the other OT threads, though, maybe if artists want a 'hey!@ I drew this' it should be shuffled in with the off topic stuff?

If not, the choice has been made, and I will choose not to pay, but it doesn't mean I'm vanishing.

Posts: 138 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 03, 2005Report This Post

Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
"Is Scott the only artist on here who 'gets' it?"

Sorry I believe you called us naive, and naivity isn't something to be taken lightly. Sarcasm doesn't go over well on forums. And you didn't call us it directly you insinuated just like you did just now in the last line of your post. I was actually reading the post and thinking okay maybe I had the guy wrong, until I read this

"And nobody called you or any other artist "stupid" but I'm now inclined to think so if you can twist a post so bizarrely."

So wheter you flat out called me stupid or you imply it its the same thing my friend. I'm glad your a fan of my artwork, hell I'm glad everyone is. But it just seems that if you guys didn't want the artist threads maybe the OWNERS of the site should have told us not Scott Houseman, not X or President Bush.

Everything is cool now and I return you to your regularly scheduled programs? Sheesh, you twisted my words just as I did yours, you implied that we were naive and not listening to the point.
We get the point, you and your fellow collectors don't like seeing our non card artwork, so from now on I will not be posting it. Isn't that what you wanted? How many times can I try to appease this?

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Well, I was going to just throw in my sales pitch which is this:
quote:

I am surprised though, that you guys wont be advertising. Really, I think it would be of great benefit for you for more reasons than just commissions.

All the manufacturers read the boards. All of them. And I know for a fact that they would sometimes pick an artist for a set, based not nessecarily on his art but also on his popularity.(although if it stunk, you know....) For this reason alone, John Czop and Warren Martinek will never be out of work. They are EXTREMELY popular on the board and on the convention circuit. Darren Auck and Michael Kraiger can also claim this, to a slightly lesser extent, but they are still very popular. One of the reasons for this (besides their phenomonal art) was they were all early NSU posters and really helped break open sketch cards in the business.

Also, posting your original art will get collectors interested in the sets you are going to be doing or have done as well. This will certainly help the sales of your sketches on ebay, which in turn will get you, or keep you on the brain of the maufacturers.

And lastly, you really do reach alot more people on NSU than you will from your personal site. Those that have ads will definately have a leg up on those who dont.

All this is null and void if sketch cards are not your main business or goal Smile - but if it is, really, $25 for 3 months will pay for itself 10 times over.

But then some people have mentioned various things.

To Scott: There is a middle ground, and I think it has been accomplished with the new forum. If they dont want to participate in that way, thats fine by me.

To Miller: Artists wont have to "pay" to post art they have done for a set, that has already been established. Please re-read several posts behind yours. You also may want to consider toning down your posts a bit, you are coming off like a grinch, whether you want it to look that way or not.

To X: you came off a bit heavy there brother, I can see where Rich is coming from on that one.

To Rich: Please dont let one person, who I feel did not articulate properly, drive you away. X was responding, in a heavy handed manner, to Miller, who also came off in a heavy handed manner. The two of them are on complete opposite sides of the discussion, like Rush Limbaugh and Ted Kennedy. They will probably never see eye to eye.

To everyone: This is not, and never should have been "Artist vs Collector" - this is "What Harris thinks is best for the community that he owns" - and honestly, I think it is the best way to do it too. Maybe not all or not even most artists are here to "pimp" their wares, but you can be sure that some are and many many of those threads have gone in that direction, whether the artist wanted it to or not. And NSU has a strict advertising rule that I have have not found on any other forum relating to trading cards. And that includes "pimping" someone elses sales. This is not the first time this topic has come up concerning artists, it came up long long before most of you got here.

Bottom line, if you do not want to take out the space, by all means, do not. But it is what Harris thinks is best, all around, for card talk, and this board, unlike most others, is not supported by thousands of banner ads, popups and other garbage. Those boards, by and large, pay for themselves themselves whereas here, NSU pays for everything, and it aint cheap.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Exactly NIK, you (and I'm sure many others) also enjoy the threads not to do with card collecting so they should stay! And like these categories, random artwork should gets one all its own, its not my interest but that doesn't mean it should go away. Thumb Up

See how words get misconstrued then, your post to me was implying that you had this distain for my thread along with Amy's and Nae's if someone has just came to us and said we feel you have no place here then I would have been fine with that. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm off to bed, everyone. I'm a 3rd shifter.

RAM - No hard feelings!
Miller 777 - No hard feelings!
All other artists - No hard feelings and the collectors still love you! Group hug! Smile
Collectors - Let the artists know ya still love 'em. Many artists like myself are emotional Big Grin We need love!

We'll find a solution, everyone. If need be, keep the site free and I'll send a freakin' check to cover the expenses Big Grin I have extra paychecks coming for my High Chief and Ambassador of Sketch Card jobs! Big Grin

This will get figured out, artists stick around, please.

Picture of MarleyEds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

...but you still want artists to pay to post in this thread?

If artists posting other art is deemed advertising, isn't posting that you'll be at an up and coming convention advertisting too? Maybe you should have to pay to post your convention schedule too.

Posts: 118 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2005Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Ok, several posts happened while I was writing, and X, that first line and last line of that last post came off as downright rude. There are much better ways of expressing your feelings without resorting for namecalling.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Report This Post
Picture of gatodama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Is Scott the only artist on here who 'gets' it? Roll Eyes

no

quote:
I get the feeling that artists are surprised at this so called 'backlash' because so many people post positive comments about the random work artists post. But lets stop being naive for 5 minutes; how muck criticism do you really expect?
I expect collecotrs to talk about the cards they collect and enjoy and the passion they have for collecting. Also the things they wish thier hobby had..thier dream set etc.
quote:

If I don't like _____ ______'s art I wouldn't dream of saying "sorry that looks rubbish" that would be, a) rude, and b) spark comments like "so you think you can do better?" Like Cat said to me in another thread artists don't ask to be praised, but do you really think criticism of any variety would be well recieved? Of course the presence of the artist will appear rose-tinted to them: your fans will praise you and most likely your critics will extend you the courtesy of being polite by turning a blind eye. Thats what I do anyway. I am well aware that I am part of the 'Vocal Few' but I can honestly say that I have NEVER criticised an artists work or talent in any thread.

Like I said in the other thread..you cannot have it both ways..whether you like it or not..comments like "fanboy art" and "no name artists" is an insult to all parties involed..the artists and collectors. The bulk of the artists that work on these sets work in other fields such as comics or illustration and have been doing so for MANY MANY years professionally..these cards are done for the love of the license involved and for some of the younger talents they are done for the exposure. To lump them all under the blanket of fanboy is insulting.
quote:

Yet just the other day I said (in another thread) that Topps overload their products with sketches because it is easier for them to pay artists that want or need to exposure. Which I believe is a fair and valid point. I would not call that slagging off Topps or the artists involved yet I then have to deal with Miss Staggs calling me out over my preference for autograph cards. This I beleive is unaccpetable and quite intolerable. With all the butt-kissing that goes on in particular threads it seems that because of their artistic prowess, certain artists deify themselves to such a degree that their opinions as a part of the process, supercede the opinions of the people actually collecting the cards! To be honest I can do without the hassle. Hostility between artists and collectors is by no means a one-way-street.
I said..I have no problem with people collecting autos..and that I collect them myself. I would appreciate you not twisting my words to make your point or even bring me up in your arguments. My problem was the wording you chose to illustrate your dislike for sketch cards. As Chris stated.. they are going to be around for a while..they are the fad of the moment.
quote:

Artistic credentials or the place of the artist within the non-sport hobby is not what is being debated,
Then why do you keep bringing it up?
quote:

but their place within the COMMUNITY, which is why even if I like an artists work I will hardly (if ever) compliment their work because I do not want the encourage the trends occuring on the boards at the moment.
You don't want people to say what they like or don't like? That goes against everything you have posted

quote:
It can be dressed up any way you want but there are too many 'Look at me and my art' threads flooding the General Discussion area and occasionally News & Rumours.
are there really? What is the % compared to the bulk of the content on this site...really? Look I completely understand that the point of this is to give those threads a place of thier own.. all for it. And I know there are folks here that would love to see them and I understand the no selling/advertising concept that is being tossed around. Those are the rules. I do not post art threads here. I have other places for that. Places I already pay for which I think I said already.

quote:

Artists please get ready for this: This is NON-SPORT UPDATE and I come here to discuss NON-SPORT TRADING CARDS.

I do have one question for the artists on here: Why do you share your work here?
For me..because the collectors in anticipation of the sets release woudl like to get thier hands on any thing they can with an up and coming set. Promo cards or sketch cards or autos..a sneak preview helps generate a great buzz for a new set. Basic Marketing for a Card Company..who are really the ones benifiting from the free advertising on this forum.
quote:

If you are in it for advertising then the paid area is definately the way to go. If you are not, then by all means, please share the art you have done for a card set you have worked on, your input is invaluable. Nobody is trying to exclude the artists; just categorise their work into relevant sections. Oh the furoar! Roll Eyes
If you read what everyone has posted, I think everyone has gotten that. I am all for supporing this forum. I have been a member here for a while and contibuted twice to the sketch card contest because I like the site and the members here. If something falls with in the rules of advertising they pay for the advertising but if it doesn't then it is not fair to make them pay.

Like I said before..this is something that everyone enjoys with a passion and it should not be something that causes this much grief.

Posts: 240 | Location: san antonio TX | Registered: March 16, 2005Report This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarleyEds:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

...but you still want artists to pay to post in this thread?

If artists posting other art is deemed advertising, isn't posting that you'll be at an up and coming convention advertisting too? Maybe you should have to pay to post your convention schedule too.

Oi vey! Are you people hell bent on keeping this fight going?

That has been discussed a while back and annoucing you will be at a convention is exempt so long as it is in the Conevntion board and you do not mention any pricing. Artist could post there convention information in there as well whether they are an advertiser or not.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
So wheter you flat out called me stupid or you imply it its the same thing my friend. I'm glad your a fan of my artwork, hell I'm glad everyone is. But it just seems that if you guys didn't want the artist threads maybe the OWNERS of the site should have told us not Scott Houseman, not X or President Bush.

Okay, I lied. This is my last post. RAM, believe ME, I'm sorry if I delivered the message, I wished I hadn't. I know it hasn't been rolled out as smooth as it could have been. I'm tired of seeing "Houseman" in everyone's threads. This was a Non-Sports Update idea, a GROUP of us were talked to, and I guess unfortunately, I like to visit the board and was the one to post back first. And then the ball starts rolling...

It was not my intention to "tell" anyone anything. I put MY opinions out there, and then added in the DECIDED ON information that the group came up with. Sorry if I'm the hated messenger, I'll get over it Smile

And now:

Well, I'm off to bed, everyone. I'm a 3rd shifter.

RAM - No hard feelings!
Miller 777 - No hard feelings!
All other artists - No hard feelings and the collectors still love you! Group hug!
Collectors - Let the artists know ya still love 'em. Many artists like myself are emotional We need love!

We'll find a solution, everyone. If need be, keep the site free and I'll send a freakin' check to cover the expenses I have extra paychecks coming for my High Chief and Ambassador of Sketch Card jobs!

This will get figured out, artists stick around, please.