Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spel chek
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
I would really like to see a spell check facility on this site.Years ago one of my teachers said that bad spelling shows the person writing cannot be bothered with whoever is reading.It is obvious to me that a few people on this site don't read their own postings Eek

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I for one would like it, as I am a good speller, but tend to miss letters out.

It would be great.
Thanks -- Chris Big Grin

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
lol@Graham.
I sometimes suffer from Fat Fingers syndrome Wink Although I do read over my posts after I've submitted them, and if there are any errors I go back in and edit them out.
During Primary and High School I was known as a dictionary. Not that I knew the meanings of some of the words, but I could spell them Smile

Which is why in a way it annoys me reading mainly auction listings where the seller put no effort into their auction. And if they use Turbo Lister, then it's mass-duplicated.

Anyway, it's 2am and I really shouldn't still be here, lol!

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
I just had a thought.
What about these words:

Favourite, Colour, Aluminium, Neighbour, Recognise etc.

None of those are wrong, it just depends where on this planet you live, lol!

Even if a spell checker doesn't happen here, I hope that the "spelling police" don't pop up around the place like they do over on the Ebay message boards Shake Head That's annoying.

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I'm sure we can get thru ( Wink ) on some spellings but PLEASE don't get me started on Aluminium again Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
before wolfie gets here i'll do it.

si ther somthin rong withe mi speling? Big Grin

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
I would really like to see a spell check facility on this site.Years ago one of my teachers said that bad spelling shows the person writing cannot be bothered with whoever is reading.It is obvious to me that a few people on this site don't read their own postings Eek

Hi Graham:

With regard to integrated spell checking, I am pretty much at the mercy of Infopop. There is a very good Internet Explorer plug-in that you can download and install, however, if you like. It's called ieSpell and can be downloaded here:

ieSpell

The developer describes it as follows:

"ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application."

And best of all, it's free (unless you would like to send the developer payment as a token of your appreciation)! He also says that it is spyware and adware free. Take a look, if you are interested. I have used it from time to time and just re-installed it to verify it still works. By the way, since Card Talk uses a pop-up box, I don't think you can use the link ieSpell creates in your tool bar but you can right click in the post box and spell check. It's very easy!

Also, for your Firefox users out there, I have found a plug-in that is supposed to be similar. Here's a link to that:

SpellBound

I have not used this one so I don't know much about it.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Many thunks Harris Big Grin Happy new year to you and yours .

Picture of Pinky
posted Hide Post
and nobody talks about your spelling when you`ve just got in from the Bowling Alley!

Posts: 27 | Location: Dagenham, Essex, UK | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pinky:
and nobody talks about your spelling when you`ve just got in from the Bowling Alley!
Razz

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Harris

You once gave me ispell and it worked for a while untill NSU changed something here.

ispell does not work here on NSU Card Talk on the posting page.

As you can see I cant spell. Wink

ispell works on ebay postings and other websights but it does not work here on NSU Card Talk at all.

When I click on reply on NSU Card Talk. I cant check my spelling.
Across from Message: there is a bunch of blue boxes. But nothing for spelling

But then again
I CANT SPELL
HELP

Posts: 1858 | Location: PAUPACK,PA-USA | Registered: November 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi All:

I just saw on the Google page that the new version of their Google Toolbar includes a spell checker. I am still using the last version of the Google Toolbar so I haven't seen this in action but from the hype that's posted there, it seems like it would work well with Card Talk. It says: Google Toolbar's new SpellCheck button finds any spelling mistakes whenever you type into a web form, including web-based email, discussion forums, and even intranet web applications. The AutoFix option even corrects all of your text with a single click.

The new toolbar also features a WordTranslator to translate words mean in other languages (which I've just posted about in another thread here on the board) and some other new features.

Also, contrary to what's posted above, ieSpell works just fine here on Card Talk. I've been using it ever since I first posted about it.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Harris Smile

Is this going to work for me ???Confused???

What do I got to do ???
Download a google tool bar ???
This will work on the pop up post a reply that comes up in a different window??
That comes up when I click on reply ??Confused??

Posts: 1858 | Location: PAUPACK,PA-USA | Registered: November 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post